Picasa Question

A place for members to talk about things outside of Virgin Islands travel.
California Girl

Picasa Question

Post by California Girl »

I'm asking this question for my friend. I don't use Picasa, but I have a friend who does and he's experiencing some weird stuff. He tried to "zip" (for lack of a better word, since I don't know the actual terminology) a bunch of photos to attach to an e-mail and when he went to check the file before he sent the e-mail, not only were his photos there, but also his tax form from his hard drive, some logos from various Internet ads, some random colored boxes, and other stuff. He's baffled how all this extra stuff got attached randomly.

He posted a question on the Picasa forum 4 days ago and no one has responded, and apparently there's no "tech support" phone number or link to access.

Have any of you who use Picasa ever had a problem like this? Do you have any suggestions?

Thanks! :D
JT

Post by JT »

I hate Picasa! A few years back I, with my limited computer skills, got nominated to photograph and transfer dozens of I.D. photos for the Punkin Chunkin Festival. I was able to pull off my part of this, though it was the first year of the organizers going high tech. Anyway, I was asked to keep the files for future use. I had maybe 80 "mug shot" type photos with names under each one, and which camp they were members of. Very organized.
Then one day I opened the file and it was like someone had shuffled a deck of cards, as every picture had the wrong name under it and all of them went into a hodgepodge of different camps. The files were useless and someone else had to re-photograph everyone this past year.
When you find yourself in a hole.... quit digging.
Cid

Post by Cid »

I love Picassa and have never had any problems like either of you had.

CG I'm not sure how or why that happened to your friend. It sounds like there may have been multiple folders highlighted when they went to zip the pictures. That's just a guess.

In the Picassa settings, you can select which folders you want monitored. I think the default setting scans your entire computer for any kind of graphic files. That's what all those weird colored boxes and stuff were. They were temporary internet files. (Pieces your browser stores temporarily for fast retrieval). I would advise that you set the settings to only scan the folder where your photos are stored.

Your friend may benefit from cleaning up the hard drive and the registry. I use a program called Ccleaner that is straight forward and safe.

http://www.ccleaner.com/download

If Picassa is still messed up, you might want to reinstall Picasa and set the folder settings as I had mentioned. Then it will just show your photos and not all that other crap.

I hope this helps...
Still waiting to return to St. John!
http://facebook.com/cidsinclair
[/url]
California Girl

Thanks SO much! I knew you guys would be able to help!! :D
jmq

Post by jmq »

Indeed, you can choose what folders you even want Picasa to monitor. If you dont want it organizing and pulling image files from non-photo folders (i.e. such as scanned tax forms), you can do that as suggested below:

From Picasa help:

"Managing Picasa Settings: Controlling how folders are monitored

Picasa scans your computer to find folders containing compatible photo file types, and then displays photos from these folders. The photos stay in their original folder locations. You can use the Folder Manager to control the folder locations on your hard drive that the Picasa monitors.

Follow these steps:
Click the Tools menu in Picasa.
Select Folder Manager.
Select a folder from the folder list on the left that you want to add or remove from Picasa's watch list.

Select one of the following monitoring options on the right:
'Scan Always': Picasa views all compatible image types in these folders, and it automatically adds new photos. Picasa actively scans this folder for changes.
'Scan Once': Picasa accesses all compatible image types in these folders only once. It doesn't detect new photos added to folders with this setting.
'Remove from Picasa': Picasa doesn't look in folders that are marked with this status.

Click the OK button to save your changes.

The folders that you've set Picasa to continously scan are listed in the 'Watched Folders' section.

For easier management, we recommend keeping all of your photos in subfolders within one main folder. If you manage all your photos in just one folder, then all you have to do in the Folder Manager is select the 'Scan Always' option for that folder, and select the 'Remove from Picasa' option for all other folders."
When we come to place where the sea and the sky collide
Throw me over the edge and let my spirit glide
California Girl

Awesome! Thanks jmq!

Last bumped by Anonymous on Fri Jul 07, 2023 12:00 am.