Travel discussion for St. John
DELETED

P.W. Trash Report #11

Post by DELETED »

DELETED
waterguy

Post by waterguy »

Hi Jorge
Great report like all the others. Wish you guy's were going to be there next week. Hope you make the most of your last day. Have a safe flight back to the world.
Tom
RickG

Post by RickG »

I was reading this on the DC metro this morning laughing my a$$ off. This reqally sounds like the kind of day we have with our party group. Last October the maid showed up a day early during our morning warmup and we felt embarrased for about 5 minutes. Then we made another round of drinks. The blender running before 10am is the first warning sign of a dangerous day.

Keep the good karma flowing.

I had the STJ real estate listings out again this weekend, but I came to a similar conclusion. I'd rather not deal with maintenance on every trip. Renting is just more efficient for me.

I've arranged some good weather back here in Virginia for your return. Wear your shorts home!

Cheers, RickG
California Girl

Post by California Girl »

Hey Jorge - Great reports, but I have to say I'm bummed at the lack of photos. You MUST have taken some pictures you can post without offending anyone. Palms at Solomon? Downtown Cruz Bay? Bongo views? C'mon dude!!
mark & susan

P.W. Trash Report #11

Post by mark & susan »

What a day!

Ir IS interesting how some people "get STJ" and others do not. When we try to explain the laid back magic of the place we often get mystified stares. Sometimes from people who have been there before which I totally just don't get.

We are "only" on out 3rd trip on Feb 5 (Bayview) but talking about a summer trip with kids.

One story I tell often is about the experience of buying ferry tickets and the casual atmosphere that exists with respect to the selling of the tickets - sometimes with the ticket office opening just in time.

One visit we watched a guy just come unglued because the ticket office had not opened yet, berating the staff and just acting like a jerk. I tell this story because I warn people that if you can't get used to "island time" you should just not come. Who needs long pants and real shoes on vacation? We have been several times to SXM and have no interest in returning, STJ (and especially Coral Bay) has our hearts.

Jorge - travel safe - know the pictures are coming but hard to beat the one in the fountain.
flip-flop

Post by flip-flop »

Jorge - Thanks for the reports. Hope to Jumbie that you don't think I was offended. My warning for nekkedness was totally in jest ;)

Your photo in the fountain was one of the funniest I've ever seen!

That's the thing about "getting St. John" -- it is something different to everyone, but the vibe is pure, simple, go your own way.

Till next report! I can't believe you are going to have been there 3 times between my trips!!! May of 2005 is a distant memory.
LandLockedBeachLover

Post by LandLockedBeachLover »

Jorge -- you guys ROCK! You are our kinda people (the only thing missing on STJ is a strip club -- we had that very conversation), so who gives a flying &*@! if others don't like your comments. I think a majority do! Post whatever you want and PLEASE post some more pics!!
FlaGeorge

Post by FlaGeorge »

Hey Jorge – another great report. Wow, I never thought about turning a villa into an S-Club. Might make enough money to pay for the whole vacation.

Can’t wait to see you guys again. I think I’ll have T-Shirts made that say “The Poor Broke Friends Tour”, but instead of listing the cities like a rock tour does – we’ll list the Bars & Beaches we hit.

I’m with CA Girl – put some pictures out there for us. I’ll be talk to you when you get back.

As for the cubic – alls quiet on the western front. Take care and luv to you and Barbara.
FlaGeorge

"Swim Against The Current - Even a Dead Fish Can Go With The Flow"
jac w

Post by jac w »

Luv the reports Jorge, but I also miss the pics. Since I usually don't log on ove the weekend, it was great starting a chilly raining Monday morning laughing.

"Getting St. John" is exactly right. Last May we brought our future son-in-law down with us. No matter what we said about St. John, he really didn't get it. Kept saying he's a city boy. I don't think he was on island 24 hours before they were making plans to go back. Daughter #2 now has a boyfriend who doesn't get St. John - guess we'll have to go back. :D
Dr. Curly

Post by Dr. Curly »

I'll definately have the beer, liquor and popcorn ready when we get together for the slideshow.
traveler22

Post by traveler22 »

Jorge- your trip reports have been great, reading about the four of you and your adventures has been fun. You are completely right about "getting St. John" people often ask"what is there to do" and my answer is always "whatever you want" and they don't get it, they would rather be at an AI or on a cruise in a structure enviroment. The fun of St. John is the driving around and seeing different things, meeting great people, local and other visitors and especially the first timers when they find out how beautiful St. John is and how much fun they are having in a very relaxed setting and just doing whatever they want or going wherever they want. Thanks again to the four of you, have a safe trip home and we are looking forward to taking your place next week
Scott
PA Girl

Enjoying all points of view

Post by PA Girl »

Jorge,

I am sending positive vibes your way. I enjoy all the trip reports and enjoy different points of view on life.

Have a safe return.
bobcside

Post by bobcside »

Hey Jorge, Damn the Torpedoes Full Speed Ahead, Great reports with or without photos but the photos are nice. Helps with the fantasy travel back to the Island(s) 26 more days for me. Hope you continue to have a ball, I'm certain you guys will.I know what you mean when you say " I get STJ" but I think "IT got YOU" and that is a good thing. PS. It is a manly thing to allow that tear to roll down your cheek on that departing ferry. I offer them up as thanks to the Island Gods and pray for the next trip to come soon.

BOB
BOB
stjohnmay2003

Post by stjohnmay2003 »

Tyler has been working at the Gecko bar for a while. My husband and a friend spent a very drunken night there back in May 2003. He kept the drinks and Madonna music flowing back then too!
Married- Trunk Bay May 3, 2003
madforstjohn

Post by madforstjohn »

Thanks again for the great trip reports. You have made St. John come alive, what it is really like. I have never been offended by any of your stories, they are good for a laugh. Just what everyone needs. I can assure you that I am a very proper New Englander(stiff) but I love to hear how other people can let go and have the time of their life. That is why I love St. John, somehow it makes it easier for me to relax and go with the flow and not worry about what other people think and how fast can you get it done and all the other day to day stresses of regular life. Enjoy your last day--I have no doubt you will.