Restaurant Suggestions for the Unadventurous?

Travel discussion for St. John
ifloat

Restaurant Suggestions for the Unadventurous?

Post by ifloat »

Due to a number of dietary constraints, we are limited to simply prepared foods, not highly spiced or with sauces and relishes and ethnic flavors. Just things like steaks and chicken or pork with simple sides.

Have any dinner restaurant suggestions for us on STJ? Can you normally get reservations the day before in March?

Price is not a concern, but it would need to be a place where we can sit outside to avoid smoke.

How about some places to enjoy Happy Hour with our adult daughters that are not too raucous?

We're staying in Coral Bay but have a jeep rental.

Thanks!
LysaC

Post by LysaC »

hubby is a picky non-fussied-up food eater.

in coral bay-
basic breakfast at donkey diner or big belly deli (outdoor seating for both).
burgers, grilled chix sandwich, salads, grilled cheese at skinny legs (open air bar/pub).
shipwreck has a lot of basics like dinner steaks and burgers and sanwiches and a basic taco salad (open air bar/restaurant).
basic pizza at donkey diner on certain evenings (wed-sat?). also bbq on sat.
aqua bistro has a great steak for dinner and some basic sandwiches and stuff.

in cruz bay-
hubby and i loved the chix fingers and fries at hightide and they have other basic choices there as well for lunch and dinner.

honestly, there are several options for basic foods. your villa will probably have a big fat book with menus from all the restaurants on island.
ifloat

Post by ifloat »

LysaC says, "hubby is a picky non-fussied-up food eater. "

Heh. Well, that pretty much sizes up Mr. ifloat too.

Thanks for the suggestions!
LysaC

Post by LysaC »

many of these places also have fun dishes with fun spices and sauces.

at hightide, he got the chix fingers and i got the blackened mahi sandwich and it was gooooood. at aqua bistro, he had the best steak on island and i had a yummy fish dish. at shipwreck, he had a hamburger and i had the best pulled pork sandwich with curry sauce and slaw that i had EVER eaten.

even at miss lucy's, considered by some to offer local dishes, we find a dish he likes. almost all the restaurants have a steak. he had the pork tenderloin which was described as spoiced but was by no means spicy- just had lots and lots of layered flavors.

i'm hungry.
KatieH

Post by KatieH »

ifloat - our husbands may be related :wink: and the remora takes after him, too.

I'd recommend the following:

Zozo's, La Tapa, Lime Inn, Cafe Roma, Banana Deck. Both husband and child can find food at all of these solidly good to great Cruz Bay eateries.

I love the cheeseburgers at Trunk Bay. I know, they'd probably taste terrible anywhere else, but a burger and pina colada on Trunk is my cheeseburger in paradise!

Skinny Legs in Coral Bay. Otherwise, we're Coral Bay virgins - for the next 17 days, at least :D
Teresa_Rae

Post by Teresa_Rae »

Since steaks at Shipwreck Landing were mentioned I thought I’d caution you that when I had the ribeye there in June it was covered in a funky BBQ-ish type sauce. Definitely not my cup of tea for a steak...actually I'd describe it as a great way to ruin a steak. I don’t know if they pre-marinate it or if you’d be able to get it without the sauce.
Let us live so that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.
- Mark Twain
islandgirl

Post by islandgirl »

Teresa

I like your advise. I pmd you. Thanks
ifloat

Post by ifloat »

Good advise all around...we will make sure to ask the server if anything suspicious will be added to the steaks :o
Pete (Mr. Marcia)

Post by Pete (Mr. Marcia) »

JJ's in Cruz Bay is another suggestion. You can't go wrong with the chicken fried steak and mashed potatoes...yum. That's good eatin'

Banana Deck already was mentioned, but I would second that. They have good rib-eye steaks.
Wisconsin, smell the dairy air
donkey-boy

Post by donkey-boy »

avoid ordering the donkey at donkey diner# you won't like it# ~db~
sunlover

Post by sunlover »

LOVE LOVE LOVE the Lime Inn for dinner. Basic steaks, baked potatoes, rice, etc. for the nonadventurous (and other fabulous seafood choices for those who are!)

The Fish trap also has "basic" food -- but the Lime Inn is my favorite.
piscesgirl0314

Post by piscesgirl0314 »

sunlover wrote:LOVE LOVE LOVE the Lime Inn for dinner. Basic steaks, baked potatoes, rice, etc. for the nonadventurous (and other fabulous seafood choices for those who are!)

The Fish trap also has "basic" food -- but the Lime Inn is my favorite.
I totally agree...it is one of my favorite restaurants on island....and the service is FABULOUS!!!!
Teresa_Rae

Post by Teresa_Rae »

islandgirl wrote:Teresa

I like your advise. I pmd you. Thanks
Hmm, I don't know how I missed this message from you...I didn't get a PM...did you put anything in the subject line?
It won't go through if there isn't a word in the subject :)
Let us live so that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.
- Mark Twain
islandgirl

Post by islandgirl »

lol lol Duh! nope i didnt put a subject in. I will try that again. :lol: :oops: