DELETED

A place for members to talk about things outside of Virgin Islands travel.
mahobayb

Post by mahobayb »

GUYS, LISTEN UP

I can't thank you enough Fatboy for bringing up this subject.

Please everyone, listen to Fatboy. Go back and read it again.

My Husband has prostate cancer that has metastasized.
Steve is only 55.

Also, if there is any breast cancer in the family
get checked young.

He waited to long between doctor visits.
My Husband started getting symptoms on STJ in 2007.
Three days before we came home. Then, of course :roll: , he wouldn't go to the doctor right away. His PSA started at 18. Honest guys, if my Husband can go through an anal exam and biopsy, you can too. Now he is on a chemo-type regimen (and this is NOT okay). The cancer is in his spine. We sit on pins and needles just kinda waiting for the next shoe to drop. The meds he's on are known to work for 12 - 18 months. So far, it has been 16 months. We pray it keeps working.

Fatboy, congrats on beating the beast. Stay vigilant.

Lori~
we never touch someone so lightly that we don't leave a trace
ScubaGirl

Post by ScubaGirl »

My Father had Prostate Cancer last year, but his PSA is still going up, which means that there are still some cancer cells there, even though there is no prostate. He starts radiation next month.

Just a quick story.....
For those of you who don't know me, I work for a Hospital Foundation as an event coordinator. Last year our campaign was for Prostate Brachytherapy. Strange that it fell in the same year my father was diagnosed.

One of fundraisers we did was to get a custom pair of boxer shorts cut into car magnets. Like the ribbons, but boxer shorts. One day last summer I went to see my family doctor, who also happens to be my father's doctor, and took him a magnet for his car. During my visit, the topic of people having to be proactive about their own health came up. He was saying that women should have their yearly check up, and in addition, after 40 they should also get..... Let’s just say a similar exam to the prostate one, to check for colon cancer. I told him Yeah, Yeah, I've still got another year until 40, so we can just wait on that one.

Then I asked him if he gets a prostate exam. (We are actually friends out side of the Dr. Patient relationship) To my surprise, he told me, that he didn't even have a doctor to get a prostate exam from. So I gave him a little speech about practicing what he preaches and I left with him saying point taken.

In Oct. my father called me to tell me that, our doctor was going to be out of the office for a few weeks, because he was having prostate surgery. He got the exam, had cancer, had surgery, and is today 100% cancer free. I like to think that my little talk to him, and my magnet, made him go get that exam!

Two quick stats on Prostate Cancer.......
Every Man, if he lives long enough, WILL get prostate Cancer. More men die with it, than from it.

Every man, 40 or not, should get a PSA and a prostate exam every year.
DELETED

Post by DELETED »

DELETED
mahobayb

Post by mahobayb »

Hey, Sorry Fatboy, forgot to say..

Welcome to The Forum!!

Got all caught up in the subject :oops:
we never touch someone so lightly that we don't leave a trace
RickG

Post by RickG »

I picked my doc because she has very small fingers and a great manicure. She insists that I don't need the manual exam since I get a PSA, but I'm payin' for this party. She's been a bit tetchy since she got married. I may switch to Dr. Nguyễn, her fingers are even smaller.

Cheers, RickG
S/V Echoes - Coral Bay - St. John, VI
jmq

Post by jmq »

A story about the results of 2 huge studies with a rather provocative headline:

Prostate Cancer Test Found to Save Few Lives
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/03/19/healt ... er.html?em
When we come to place where the sea and the sky collide
Throw me over the edge and let my spirit glide
DELETED

Post by DELETED »

DELETED

Last bumped by Anonymous on Fri Jul 07, 2023 4:39 pm.