Snorkeling for people who wear glasses

Travel discussion for St. John
mindehankins

Snorkeling for people who wear glasses

Post by mindehankins »

I wear glasses and can't see a thing without them. I want to learn to snorkel in May when we come to St. John. Am I better off getting contacts, or a prescription mask?
Thanks for your help!
sailorgirl

Post by sailorgirl »

Both Hubby and I have prescription masks. They work well but contacts under a regualr mask work also if you are comfortable with contacts, wind, sun and water tend to dry contacts out.
tothectothec

contacts

Post by tothectothec »

I wear contacts and I have to say that I think I see better with them when I'm in St John!! Have never had a problem with them snorkeling.
irbgolfin

Post by irbgolfin »

I can't deal with contacts, have a prescription mask, and love it.

One thing to check on that folks don't always think of - these are just a different pair of "glasses". Any prescription insurance and health care reimbursement are applicable. The mask is the frame. I got some insurance/reimbursement assistance on this mask as well as a pair of prescription goggles for playing racquetball several years ago.

My cost for the custom mask with my prescription was less than just getting a mask which would have no coverage.

Also, being of a certain age and wearing bifocals, I didn't bother with the reading add. Was talking to a friend who is also chronologically challenged and he told me he got his lenses for his mask done as bifocals for diving so he could read watch, gauges, etc.

irbgolfin
Rbaron721

Tusa Lenses

Post by Rbaron721 »

I ordered Tusa corrective lenses for my mask. I got them from www.diver-supply.com. Here are the details of the costs:

Payment Info:

PayPal

Shipping Method:

FedEx 3 Business Days Express Saver

Order Details:

Code Item Qty Price Total
TUS5133 TUSA CORRECTIVE OPTICAL LENS TMCL-5700 L/R
[Optical Lens:Left -1.5] 1 $26.95 $26.95
TUS5133 TUSA CORRECTIVE OPTICAL LENS TMCL-5700 L/R
[Optical Lens:Right -2.0] 1 $26.95 $26.95

Sub Total: $53.90
Tax: $0.00
Shipping: $14.19
Grand Total: $68.09
Russ
kgolden

Post by kgolden »

The only time I use my contacts these days is when I am swimming or snorkeling. Being able to see when you are in the water, whether or not you're snorkeling, is a great feeling when you are really nearsighted. Never had a problem w/ them in salt water or with wind. On land I become a glasses wearer, but in the water, go with the contacts.
mindehankins

Post by mindehankins »

You guys are so wonderfully helpful! Thanks! I'm going to buy a mask, because I'm pretty sure I'll be doing this again. And the tip about them being covered by insurance was priceless (or worth about $60)! Thanks!