Why I Love My Cheap Little Digital Camera

Travel discussion for St. John
ifloat

Why I Love My Cheap Little Digital Camera

Post by ifloat »

Walking along the beach, I snap this. I barely slowed down, just aimed in the direction of the water and snapped. I liked the way the sun hit the water.

Looking at the photo later, I see what appears to be an anemone and some interesting green blobs.

There's pretty much detail in this shot when it's cropped down further. Not bad for a quick shot. This thing was tiny, as you can see by the size of the sand grains.

With my camera in the housing, I cant use the optical viewfinder at all, and in the sunshine I can't see the viewscreen. All of my pictures taken on St. John were snapped blind. It was a surprise to see what some of the images contained after I downloaded them to my computer.
California Girl

Post by California Girl »

I totally know what you mean about not being able to see the view screen. The picture that I entered in the photo contest was a lucky shot. I didn't know what I had until I downloaded it. But what I was seeing was beautiful, so I knew I would capture something good! :D

Your anemone shot is awesome. I like the detail in the cropped one, but I like the water reflections in the first & second ones. :D
Wakey

Post by Wakey »

That's what I love about digital, you don't have to pay for any of the pics, good or bad so snap away!

When I shoot I take multiple shots with different settings and if they are awful, I delete them after I view them from my PC.
ifloat

Post by ifloat »

I loved that picture you posted. Maybe in a few years after I get over the awe of seeing things under the water, I will be able to get some gorgeous ones like yours.

I'm seeing all sorts of things in my STJ photos I didn't even know were there, it's a big surprise to look back at them and a lot of fun.

I agree, the watery reflections add to the shot here. I was just shocked at how much detail there was on something that I didn't even stop to frame. When I shot with an SLR and film years ago, I spent minutes setting up each shot. Now I just skip along blithely. Snap! snap snap!

It makes vacation a lot more relaxing.
California Girl

Post by California Girl »

Now that point n' shoot cameras are so good and there's Photoshop, I really love taking pictures.
samoka

Post by samoka »

I know what you mean - I used to be afraid to take pictures in case they weren't "good" - now I don't care - plus I never used to get the film developed so that is another plus - samoka
PSUWethr

Post by PSUWethr »

Beautiful shop....I would be lost if it weren't for Photoshop to save the day!
ifloat

Post by ifloat »

Photoshop is my friend.
Rachelle & Joe

cheapi lil camera

Post by Rachelle & Joe »

FANTASTIC SHOTS !!!!!!!!!!!! I do the same thing & get some realy cool shots !!!! These are Beautiful ! way to go ! Rachelle 8)
toes in the sand

Post by toes in the sand »

Great pictures ifloat. You didnt mention what type of camera you used, and did you say it had a waterproof case? Did the case come with the camera or did you get it seperate?

I have a cheapy point & shoot 35mm with case. I want to find cheap digital with case.

My favorite camera quit on me a few years ago. It was a 35mm API (?) that gave great landscapes and flash underwater.
"got a drink in my hand and my toes in the sand"
ifloat

Post by ifloat »

For this trip I brought along a $100 Canon A590IS in a $30 dry bag type case with an optical port...fine for presetting the camera on a mode and then shooting, hard to access the more sophisticated controls. I wouldn't feel too bad if this camera got wrecked.

Also a Canon <$200 A720IS in a $155 Canon underwater housing that allows full use of controls.

I'll be talking more about the cameras when I do the trip report wrap up, maybe later today.
Joshie

Post by Joshie »

Berlingirl

Post by Berlingirl »

Joshie wrote:I love your cheap little digital camera too, ifloat.

It's taken some mighty fine photos.

The ones above are fantastic.

Looking forward to more.

-j
He took the words right out of my mouth! :D
chicagoans

Post by chicagoans »

I'm amazed that your great pictures came from a cheap little camera! I have had a couple different digital cameras, in about the $200 range I guess, and they don't snap fast enough for any but posed shots. There is a delay between when I click and when it takes the shot.

Since my latest camera was ruined by a rogue wave on our last trip, I'm up for a new one. I look forward to your post about cameras and anyone with thoughts on a good camera (but still less than $300 or $350) I would certainly appreciate!
jmq

Re: Why I Love My Cheap Little Digital Camera

Post by jmq »

ifloat wrote:With my camera in the housing, I cant use the optical viewfinder at all, and in the sunshine I can't see the viewscreen. All of my pictures taken on St. John were snapped blind. It was a surprise to see what some of the images contained after I downloaded them to my computer.
Old habits die hard - I tend to carefully frame and expose shots because of film costs back in the day. I probably should shoot more stuff willy nilly with the digital and see what happens.

More and more point n shoot cameras dont even have an optical viewfinder...grrrrr...
I hardly use the LCD. I'm old school in that regard.

Now I have to go chase some kids off my lawn.
When we come to place where the sea and the sky collide
Throw me over the edge and let my spirit glide