California Wines and Seals...TR

A place for members to talk about things outside of Virgin Islands travel.
Sun4MySoul

California Wines and Seals...TR

Post by Sun4MySoul »

Work has brought me to the West Coast for a few weeks. With some unexpected time off in Northern California, I decided to take advantage of my proximity to Wine Country. As luck would have it, I happened to be there for one of the Sonoma County Wine Barrel Tasting Weekends. Its an annual event, held the first two weekends in March. There are over 100 wineries in the Sonoma County region that participate in the event and for $20; you get a wristband, a wine glass, and a map. This entitles you to taste from the barrels and the tasting rooms of as many of the participating wineries as you can conquer in a three day weekend.

As my travel plans were already set, I did not fly into San Francisco until Friday night, so I missed one day of the Event, but by the end of the weekend, I was perfectly ok with that! I don’t think I have ever before reached my limit of wine intake…I’m not even sure I knew that such a limit existed…but it does, and after two days I found it! :oops:

I was picked up at SFO and off we went to our accommodations for the weekend in Guerneville, CA: The Dawn Ranch Lodge. Guerneville is a bit off the beaten track. A small town with everything necessary: a great place for breakfast, market for acquiring the picnic snacks, and a few bars and restaurants for post wine-tasting activities. The property of Dawn Ranch borders the Russian River. There is an expansive grass area, and a walking trail around the pet-friendly property, so I imagine in the summer there isn’t a cabin to be had. But the off season privacy and great rate suited us just fine!

There is no way great way to choose which wineries to visit and which ones to skip. I was truly overwhelmed by the shear number of them within a 30 mile radius. I took the advice from this great Forum, highlighted some Must Dos on the map, and in between, stopped where the whim struck us.

After a hearty breakfast on Saturday, we started our excursion at Francis Ford Coppola’s Estate. We had to pick a winery to ‘register’ with ahead of time and Coppola is very convenient to the highway and several over wineries. I’ll admit that I did not know what to expect upon arrival and I was pleasantly surprised. The Coppola property is under renovation, but they made a good showing for the event regardless.

First there was the Barrel Room and the tastings from the barrel acquired with the Official Fancy Extract-Wine-From-The-Barrel-Tool.

Getting lost in the barrels..

And a free sausage to go with your tastings…?

After the barrel room, its time to hit the tasting room to see what’s on tap….At Coppola, I learned that perhaps I don’t actually hate Red Zins like I thought I would. And I was introduced to sparkling wine in a can, complete with sippy straw; for those events that require wine, but don’t allow glass...? Not sure what the proper occasion is, but I bought a 4-pack to enjoy on a Southern California beach in my very-near future! So I can report back! 8)

Next, on to Clois du Bois. Its just across the street, so you really have don’t even have time between wineries to recover! The view from here was fabulous and I learned that perhaps I don’t actually hate all white wines like I thought I did.

There was a woman here selling AMAZING flavored oils and vinegars. Of course, you can taste them for free…because after you do, there is NO WAY, you are walking out of there without buying some. She definitely knew her market… drunk, hungry folk with open wallets were keeping her happy all weekend, I bet. I have shipped my fabulous garlic olive oil back to the East Coast to enjoy when I return from work. :D

Clois Du Bois was nice…a little more ‘commercial’ that I would have liked. Though I think Coppola would have had the same effect on me if its renovations were completed. The free picnic snack on hand here were chicken corndogs. Chicken corndogs and wine? It was ALL I could do to refrain myself from taking the picture of the 20-something chick in the tight, short dress chomping on her corndog while standing at the Tasting Room bar. Wine glass in one hand, corndog in the other... It was sight that I guess will linger in my mind alone… :lol:

Next door to Clois Du Bois, we hit the Motherload at Trentadue. As we are pulling into the parking lot, we notice that everyone is walking out carrying CASES of wine…hmmm…. Clearly, I SHOULD leave my wallet in the car.

I am greeted by one of the residents dogs of the winery and I know its going to be a good stop. They are indeed having a fabulous sale on mix-n-match cases, and the best free lunch of the day.

I enjoyed the table reds from Trentadue, but my favorite discovery of the weekend hit me here: Chocolate Port. I was skeptical of the idea, but LOVED it instantly upon tasting. Those bottles have also been sent back to the East Coast for future enjoyment. 8) I went back for the tasting twice and then I bought the case. Upon departure, I was one of the suckers toting the wine box…..I am sure there were newcomers laughing at me…. :roll:

After three wineries, I would say the rest of the day begins to blur. There are certainly less pictures and less specific notes on each stop.

We hit White Oak Winery as my boss is a huge fan of the Chardonnay from here. And brownie points never hurt anyone...At this stop, you could create your own bottle; from filling, to corking, to labeling, etc. The winemaker was there to autograph it afterward. I thought it was cheesy idea, but my friend did it and it turned out to be a very good red zin. So what do I know? I would purchase it again.

We made a quick stop at Hawkes. It’s a small tasting room, but a good view over the vineyards.

We head to Wilson Wines after the taunting it received from the Forum, and clearly you guys knew what you were talking about. That place had cars lined up on the road for half a mile in both directions. This late in the day, I was not interested in fighting that type of crowd. Guess I have something to look forward to next time!

Instead, we head next door to Dry Creek. Nice picnic area, beautiful building and good wine.

I finally left my wallet in the car and didn’t buy this!

At this point, it is past time to retire to a non-drinking environment. The peacefulness of the Dawn Ranch calls….

Sunday adventures begin at Korbel. Isn’t there some law that says you should have champagne on Sundays whenever possible? I know even less about champagne than I do about wine, so this was quite a learning experience. I enjoyed the Chard/Champagne blend and the many free tasty treats here. They have a great café onsite and we stocked up on take-away items for lunch and snacks later in the day. Good score!

We made the trip to Hop Kiln from here. It was a great drive over the hill. This area is just beautiful…even in winter. I can’t imagine how much more impressive it is when the vines are heavy. But I think I’ll trade it for the lack of crowds in March. Hop Kiln is an impressive facility with great views and a decent picnic area where we chowed down on our findings from Korbel.

Hop Kiln had the most amazing selection of Try Me Before You Buy Me Foods: dips, mustards, oils, etc. I’m glad we ate before going in there! It made my wallet happier!

On our way back to the highway, we stopped at Matrix on a whim. I loved their patio here. Definitely one of the best spots we saw for a picnic. I enjoyed the reds very much and all the folks were super friendly.

I sat on the patio and enjoyed the view

And could not refrain from nabbing the pic of the dogs in the stroller. They were out for a sunny day at the winery… ;-)

We then made the trek to Chalk Hill. The grounds were the most expansive of any that we visited, but the environment didn’t suit us for this event. It was definitely a winery you want to visit and enjoy when you don’t have anything else to do that day. It’s a bit out of the way from the other properties, but worth the trip if you have time. Their wines were certainly not EveryDay Drinkers...we mostly tasted the Special Occasion Liquid.

In search of something a bit more laid back, we ended up at Hook and Ladder. This was a great find and exactly the environment we were looking for.

It felt a bit like drinking in your neighborhood bar. Complete with fireman’s chili for noshing on and some FABULOUS hot sauce that I wish I had bought a case of! :( I enjoyed the wine, but after two days of tasting…who really knows? :wink:

Chillin in the last barrel room

Enough of the wine…I need a break! Conveniently located nearby in Sebastopol is the home of my favorite libation…Ace Pear Cider. So off to the Brewery we go! For me, its like the most amazing dessert after a weekend of fabulous eating! 8)

It was great event that I hope to attend again. Thanks for all the advice, Forumites! And I'm most happy to report that I never ended up like this guy...

Heading south, we stopped for a fabulous photo op

The next day brings more sunny skies and a few more hours of free time before I start work again. We head to the coast in search of wildlife. Destination: Ano Nuevo State Reserve just north of Santa Cruz. The ranger-led hike to visit elephant seals was a great way to spend the afternoon! Its an easy walk out to see the seals and they are pretty amazing. Very educational and a great day! There is a nominal fee to enter the park and you have to have reservations for the Ranger Hike in advance, but I recommend this to anyone who might be in the area. I really learned alot and got to see a new animal...

Enough of my ramblings…clearly, California is being good to me!

DELETED

Post by DELETED »

DELETED
lprof

Post by lprof »

What a wonderful long weekend condensed into a very descriptive trip report...certainly an adventure to add to my "bucket list". Sounds like the homecoming will bring out the delights and the memories. Thanks for sharing your good times. :)
... no longer a stranger to paradise
iowaguy

Post by iowaguy »

Thanks, Sun, for posting---great report! Sounds like a perfect weekend.
---Jim
byado18

Post by byado18 »

A delightful report -- and contrast to the very snowy view outside my window..... :lol:
loria

Post by loria »

great report--brings me right back there!
< leaving on the 22nd of march...but too lame to figure out the ticker thing again!>
Lovermont

Post by Lovermont »

Thanks Sun4mySoul!
Although my forum name is Lovermont, I'm a native Californian. Reading your report and viewing your beautiful pictures reminds me very clearly that there's much to Love about California too.
I'm glad you had a good time!
Cid

Post by Cid »

Great trip report. Thanks! I've always wanted to visit that area.

Is it odd that the two things that stick in my mind are....wine and corndogs??? And....People actually buy strollers for their little yipper dogs? Here I was thinking silly outfits for your dog were a litle over the top. Maybe these folks should consider adopting a child....Hehehehehehehee!
Still waiting to return to St. John!
http://facebook.com/cidsinclair
[/url]
ifloat

Post by ifloat »

I really enjoyed reading this. I wish that I had a better tolerance for wine. Just one wine tasting stop is enough to lay me low for the day.

Oooh what is this pear ale stuff? I love pear wines.

Thanks for the mini-vacation!
designbyroe

Post by designbyroe »

thanks for that.......
glad you enjoyed your self
have never tried that cider and I imagine that is hard cider? I love hard cider.

There's no $ sign on a peace of mind, this I've come to know
Carolyn

Post by Carolyn »

Sounds like a great time to me!

It also sounds as if you went with the flow and enjoyed Northern CA in St John style by just allowing the trip to evolve. Best way to travel. You were armed with info and let the trip happen!

Surprised to hear the Wilson Winery was so busy you couldn't stop. When we were there it was very quiet and personable. Too bad. I probably would not have been attracted to such a busy place either. Next time!!

I was wondering when your trip was! Thanks for posting!
Sun4MySoul

Post by Sun4MySoul »

Thanks for all the kind words, guys! I'm glad so many have enjoyed my TR to a non-STJ destination.

iFloat- I have never had Pear Wine, so I can't compare. But the Pear cider is a Hard cider. A bit more tart than the usual apple stuff, commonly sold in grocery stores. Have never purchased Ace in the Chicago area, but it can usually be found in the large scale, speciality beer/wine marts.

Designbyroe- you can find Ace Pear Cider (and other flavors by them) at the Total Wine in Ft Lauderdale (near that BBQ place we never met at :P ). I cleaned them out the first week I was there and they are slow to re-stock. But surely, they should have it by now!

Cid- I agree that corndogs and dog strollers may be how I always remember the weekend (after I run out of Chocolote port! :lol: )
designbyroe

Post by designbyroe »

Thanks..there is a Total Wine right around from my client in Boca
I will have to stop and check it out

There's no $ sign on a peace of mind, this I've come to know
bevm

Post by bevm »

Even though it was a working vacation it sounds like you found time for some fun. Great t.r.! One day I hope to get out there...Margo can you put me up for a week or so???
DELETED

Post by DELETED »

DELETED