Wayward Sailor voted Best Charter Boat on St. John

Travel discussion for St. John
California Girl

Wayward Sailor voted Best Charter Boat on St. John

Post by California Girl »

I just got the following e-mail from Capt. Phil. Congratulations Capt. Phil!!
I'm very honored and happy to announce we have once again been voted "Best Charter Boat on St. John" for 2009! That makes five years in a row! We could never do it without the loving support of our Wayward Sailor Family....so thank you. Tarn, Allison and I wish you all a Happy Easter or Passover and look forward to having you on board soon! Warm wishes from warm (80 degrees) St. John.

ALL THE BEST,
Capt. Phil Chalker
cypressgirl

Post by cypressgirl »

Good for Capt. Phil!!!!
ifloat

Post by ifloat »

Well deserved. We enjoyed our time with Captain Phil and Tarn.
Carolyn

Post by Carolyn »

Yea, I see I got the email also.

Congrats to all 3 of them! Nice work.

When we went out w/ him, Allison was the first mate.

Nice operation!
Pianogrl

Post by Pianogrl »

We're considering them for a day/snorkeling sail. What is it you liked about them?
California Girl

Post by California Girl »

When we went out with Capt. Phil we were novice snorkelers and he helped us with our masks, etc. and went into the water with us and showed us some really cool stuff! It's a small boat, so not overcroweded with people (I don't like those "cattle boats") and Capt. Phil has a wealth of knowledge about the Caribbean and he can spin a yarn or two! Just an all around nice captain and crew!
ifloat

Post by ifloat »

I liked the fact that there were only six passengers, I liked their calm careful attitudes, I liked the relaxed pace. I liked the way they took care of the hesitant people, and helped everyone optimize their gear.
Carolyn

Post by Carolyn »

I have to agree w/ the above 2 posts. Capt Phil himself is a conscientious person in general. There were 5 on our specific day, and he took his time explaining what needed to be explained, especially to the one younger person in the group. It's not a party boat like some others might be and that suits us fine. We had a great day out w/ him and wouldn't hesitate to go out again. We weren't novice snorkelers as CAGirl said but we still learned some things that we were not aware of. Good time all around!
pipanale

Post by pipanale »

Ditto to what everyone said. We had a blast on the Wayward Sailor back in August and our little one looks forward to meeting Capt Phil next summer when we go back
PA Girl

Post by PA Girl »

Like others said, he really goes above and beyond with novices. We took our 4.5 month old, my mom who is NOT into boats and two novice swimmers/snorkellers and everyone had a wonderful time.

We were completely comfortable with our infant, the novice snorkellers took to the water like fish, he taught my mom how to properly use her sea sickness bands and we all learned so much.

The boat is small and it is also his home. I have read comments about his strict attitude about the boat but because I was familar with my grandparent's rules on their sailboat, it didn't surprise me.

I would describe it as more of an educational trip. While Capt Phil does have beverages available, it is not what I would describe as a party boat.
savvy

Post by savvy »

We have been sailing with Capt. Phil 3 times and never disappointed. He is knowledgeable about reefs, sailing, snorkeling. local history, and people. He runs a safe, relaxed operation. Congrats to Capt. Phil, Allison, and Tarn! Hope to be back soon.

Last bumped by Anonymous on Thu Dec 21, 2023 12:14 pm.