Some photos from my stay at Drake's Lookout in Coral Bay

Travel discussion for St. John
liamsaunt

Post by liamsaunt »

California Girl wrote:Ok, maybe this is a dumb question, but is it possible to back up the driveway so you can go down front first?
Actually, this sounds like a great idea! If it would work, that is. That driveway is...steep.

We've stayed at houses before where it's been easier for me to just hop out and help John guide the jeep up in reverse...I'd rather guide when the jeep is going up than down, if you ask me.
It's like looking in your soup and finding a whole different alphabet.
Jost Kidding

Post by Jost Kidding »

Not a dumb question at all, and definitely something we considered. I never ended up trying it because I managed to get comfortable backing down. It's kind of funny looking back on the experience. That first night I stood at the top of the driveway gripped with fear wondering how we would ever get back down the driveway and the mountain.

Something that made me feel better...at least the driveway is paved. Coming up the mountain road, there are some unpaved driveways that just seem to drop off the side of the mountain. I know there must have been a villa down there somewhere, just not sure where. It's amazing to me how they are situating these villas on the Coral Bay hillside. Safety and structural engineers must have been banned from STJ at some point.
flip-flop

Post by flip-flop »

Two trips ago we stayed out in Reef Bay (or was it Fish) whatever ... at Cocolobo. At the time the road was not quite finished. We were LITERALLY the last house up the big big hill. Well, as you went up and around 1/2 of the road was done, and 1/2 was just non-existant. FUN.

Our trick was to just not think about it. If I think about it too much, I'll freak.
Genral

Post by Genral »

CA Girl - You are correct about BayView. The raod to the villa is a little rocky, but almost flat. The only steep part is the 12' long driveway, and that's not even really all that steep. You are not as high up at BayView, but the views a fantastic. The front side looks out over Coral Bay and the backside has views of Tortola and the other BVI's to the North. We stayed at a villa just before/below that nasty corner, and I have to say that the road to that point is paved, but pretty steep and still WAY scary. Genral
No matter where you go, there you are.
California Girl

Post by California Girl »

Thanks Genral, that's comforting to know :)

I just lost my job and I'm wishing I could get on that plane today! Thanks, forum, for giving me something else to think about! :)

Last bumped by Anonymous on Fri Jul 14, 2023 8:24 am.