Some photos from my stay at Drake's Lookout in Coral Bay

Travel discussion for St. John
Jost Kidding

Some photos from my stay at Drake's Lookout in Coral Bay

Post by Jost Kidding »

ATG - I have been wanting to post a few pics from my stay at Drake's Lookout last year. I found your directions and wanted to say thanks!

I rented Drake's through Destination St John. Inside, the place is just as their photos show it to be. Photos cannot do the view justice. The road to Drake's is paved until just below the house where it is AWFUL. No 4WD = no entry to Drake's Lookout. The driveway is really steep, but you get used to backing down the thing. It's a nice place, although I would like to stay closer to Cruz Bay as I don't have the patience to make the drive from the Coral Bay area to my favorite beaches on the North shore.

This really doesn't do the view justice, but it is incredible!!

Pool is nice & private if you want to get nekkid - gets lots of sun

Road to Drake's - tip - take change of underwear in Jeep

Driveway to Drake's - you can only back down this thing!!

liamsaunt

Post by liamsaunt »

Nice photos! That is really a great view. I think I am intimidated by the driveway though. I'd ask John if he thinks he could drive it but he is too busy yelling at the TV. Boo to football, I for one can't wait for baseball season!
It's like looking in your soup and finding a whole different alphabet.
toni

Post by toni »

Wow on the view and the driveway! I don't know -which is worse, backing down that thing, or going face first? :? Great pictures, thanks for sharing!
sea-nile

Post by sea-nile »

Great photos! The view is gorgeous, but yes, the driveway looks a bit rough! :)
cat

Post by cat »

I couldn't drve that! I would have to park at the bottom and walk the rest of the way!
nothintolose

Post by nothintolose »

OH MY GOD!!!!! That driveway would scare the crap out of me! How did vehicles get up there to build the place???

I thought the road to Hakuna Matata was bad :?

I can see why you might opt for another villa next time.

Thanks for the pics!!!

nothintolose
Kentuckygirl

Post by Kentuckygirl »

Wow! I don't think I could handle that driveway either! The views are stunning though!
ATG

Post by ATG »

You can't really describe to someone what it's like driving in St. John, and sometimes the pictures don't even capture it, but yours are great! Glad my instructions on posting pictures was helpful!
Jost Kidding

Post by Jost Kidding »

To make things worse, one day we came home from the beach and as we neared the really nasty part of the road in the photo, there were 4 mix in transit concrete trucks lined up as they were pouring a foundation for a new villa. The drivers were waving me by like there was any extra room to pass. They ought to sell shirts there in the gift shops that just say, Got Jeep?
VaGirl

Post by VaGirl »

Wow, so far I haven't had a driveway that looked like that! I had to copy your picture and send it to my friend who is making her first trip to STJ with me in April - still haven't heard a reply from her!! But the trip to the top looks like it was worth it - the view is amazing....but then, there aren't many views there that aren't.
California Girl

Post by California Girl »

When I was first trying to choose a villa, I was really considering Drake's Lookout until I read a few trip reports that told about the driveway. Now that I see your pictures, I'm SUPER glad I didn't choose Drake's! The views from Bayview are at least as good, if not better, and I haven't heard a word about the driveway being at all bad. Bob and Anita: Care to offer up an opinion on this one?
flip-flop

Post by flip-flop »

Great ... now you tell me! Well we are booked for Drakes for November and as long as it doesn't snow I think we'll be ok :)

I showed the pics to my hubby and all he said was "Holy Sh#%#($*"

It will be fine. Right???
Jost Kidding

Post by Jost Kidding »

Yeah, you'll be fine. I had the same reaction as your hubby when we were following the villa rep up to Drake's. I have to believe that even though we are talking about STJ, somebody must have done something to better this part of the road since we were there. The driveway is actually not that bad, but you do have to back down. I tried to figure out how to make a 3 point turn around in the driveway but never could make it work. Drake's is a great place and well worth the effort to get there.
flip-flop

Post by flip-flop »

Thanks for the reassurance. I trust you! I think Drakes Lookout looks fantastic and am really looking forward to November! That gives them lots more time to work on the road :)
California Girl

Post by California Girl »

Ok, maybe this is a dumb question, but is it possible to back up the driveway so you can go down front first?