So Good Again- Real Time Trip Report 2009

Travel discussion for St. John
linne

Post by linne »

Thank you for the report, your stories and the great pics.

Have a nice travel home.

Linne
Boston Mike

Post by Boston Mike »

Loving your report 99. Enjoy the last full day on the rock. Make it a doozie.

The hat. We have a clear view of the hat from 1W at Lavender (bottom right corner). We always wondered what the story was so if anyone wants to chime in please do so.
Life begins where the land ends!
mindehankins

Post by mindehankins »

cptnkirk wrote:cindygad
You can snorkel all the way around if ya want long snorkel though. If ya enter at the end of Cobblestone go far right at the very end by the cliff. I got on my belly and just slid in so not to step on any urchins. If ya wear fins just walk right in there. As you get to the cliffs when they turn to the right heading towards Saltpond go out staight just a little ways. There is a reef that comes up from the deep that is great.
I'm a total newbie to snorkeling. If you go in on your belly, won't your belly hit the urchins?
God I pray no one witnesses me going in on my belly.....
mindehankins

Post by mindehankins »

Thanks for the wonderful reports, 99! I'm going to bring a container to try to bring home some salt :) If we get to go, that is...
DELETED

Post by DELETED »

DELETED
Agent99

Post by Agent99 »

"Wishin time would stop right in its tracks
Every time I hear that song, I go back, I go back"

Kenny Chesney

For some reason, on our last day on St. John, I find myself reflecting on the previous year and years past. It is just ridiculous how life races by. We started the day at our new breakfast joint, Jake's, the site of our old breakfast joint, Chilly Billy's. I'm remembering #1 looking so sweet with his little tiny glasses on his sun kissed nose quizzing 86 and me with the Trivial Pursuit cards that adorned each table. I can still see #2 squirming in his high chair delighted at the knowledge that the waitress was going to give him a lollipop after breakfast. I was wondering how I was going to finesse getting it away from him long enough to smash it into pieces before he ate it because it was one of those Dum-Dums that kids choke on all the time because it is basically a marble on a stick. It was all ok in the end because they had a little basket with little kid trinkets that took his mind off the lollipop. Seems like yesterday.

I get all weepy when I let myself go there and I might have held it together if not for the music. Sure enough Kenny's "I Go Back". Damn him now I'm fighting back a Dum-Dum sized lump in my throat. Pull it together woman. There is more fun just waiting to be had.

Image[/i]
Last edited by Agent99 on Thu Apr 30, 2009 7:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
StJohnRuth

Post by StJohnRuth »

And maybe there are seasons and maybe they change.
- Dan Fogelberg

I can't wait to hear about #1's Next Great Adventure.
Be well, Agent99 and family. See you next time.
- Ruth
P.S. Please tell #2 again how impressed I was at his patience with the hour-long goodbyes at The Beach Bar.
lprof

Post by lprof »

:D loved the real-time updates/reports/pics...loved, too, the "legs up" pic today.

Thanks for sharing the ups and the downs, fears and joys...have a safe journey home and hold on to the memories.
... no longer a stranger to paradise
mindehankins

Post by mindehankins »

Awwww...that's just precious!
StJohnRuth

Post by StJohnRuth »

There they go. The Walk of Woe.

jimg20

Post by jimg20 »

I see the four people, but where are all the bags???? Did they lose them again???? :lol: :lol:

JIM
Man it's like some dream we live down here....

ccasebolt

Post by ccasebolt »

Safe travels 99 & Co. We have some nice warm weather waiting for you here at home :)
Agent99

Post by Agent99 »

Did I ever mention that re-entry is not my favorite? Everybody else takes it better than I do. The kids miss the beasts and so do I but I leave feeling like I'm leaving a loved one. Weird, but I know some of you feel that way too.
see the four people, but where are all the bags???? Did they lose them again????

JIM
Nope! We didn't lose a stitch on the way back, despite being bumped to an earlier connection at JFK. I thought there wasn't a chance in the world that the bags would make it with us, but they did! We decided to check the 2 suitcases that we'd carried on and the lacrosse bag and a cooler that we picked up here which doubled as the boys' suitcase and for the hot sauces which they don't want you to carry on. 86 handed me the new boarding passes and there's a reciept for $60 with them. American charged us $60 to check 4 bags. Well, they found and held our stuff on the way down so I won't complain I suppose.

Thanks for the send off photos Ruth, Pam and Bill. It was so fun meeting you and the rest of the forum travelers on Sunday. Hope to see you again soon.

So, after farewell visits to our favorite spots on Monday we said good-bye first thing Tuesday. No hitches along the way and by 6:30pm we were in Boston. It was 91 degrees and humid. Wait, what? In April. I guess the first thing we'll do is put the screens in the windows.

Easter fell the Sunday before we went away. We have a little tradition of coloring a dozen hard boiled eggs and hiding them around the house. Besides the suitcases, the cameras and the the guitar there was one other thing we forgot.

I don't have to tell you were this is going.

We only found eleven.

It was 90 degrees and all the windows and doors were shut tight for 12 days.

Hey, St. Anthony....have you got a sec?

:o :o :o :o :o

Love you guys! Thanks for all of the nice comments and well wishes!
LMG

Post by LMG »

Agent99 wrote:... I leave feeling like I'm leaving a loved one. Weird, but I know some of you feel that way too.
Yup, exactly like that.

Thanks for all your reports-- they were great!

Good luck with that, uh, egg... situation. :wink:
David- n Hampton, VA

Post by David- n Hampton, VA »

Your report and sense of humor were great. Sorry I missed saying hi.

Glad you made it home safe and sound.....Thanks for all the real time reporting.