Algae Plume Reaches Virgin Islands

Travel discussion for St. John
John LMBZ06

Algae Plume Reaches Virgin Islands

Post by John LMBZ06 »

The St. John Source,http://stj.onepaper.com/,is reporting that a huge algea plume has hit the area from South America. The plume is formed every year, but it almost never reaches this far north. For those of you on the island now, do you notice anything? I wonder how long this will last. (I will be on the island from 05/27 to 06/02). It is reporting that the water is a little cooler this year and that may be helping it. :?:
I'm The Stig

Any feedback on this Algae Plume new article?

Post by I'm The Stig »

Just wanted to bump this post to the top of the list & see if there is any "real time" reports of this being a problem on or around STJ. We'll be there in June & sure hope this unwelcome algae does not foul up the trip!
mrscaptainjay

Post by mrscaptainjay »

a friend of ours went diving at Buck Island off STT yesterday and said the vis was terrible, like only 12-15 feet. It's normally a great dive so he was really bummed. He said the low vis was due to the algea.
cypressgirl

Post by cypressgirl »

I've never heard of this algae. Is it something that drifts away eventually, runs out of steam and dies out, or hangs around indefinately??
Exit Zero

Post by Exit Zero »

It will eventually drift away - how long?? - it is uncommon to extend this far North - I cannot remember one this severe -- ever -- the water around STT and STJ has been the color and clarity of pea soup the last 2 days - some jellyfish larvae very evident in the BVI as reported on www.weathercarib.com out of Tortola - I have not found a clear snorkeling destination that wasn't bright green and filled with algae but am planning to visit the South side of STJ tomorrow.
Bobbyboy

Post by Bobbyboy »

we will be in STJ May 9th- will it be gone?
mindehankins

Post by mindehankins »

Pea soup??? Really??? :shock: Sob..... Oh gosh, I pray it's gone in 10 days!
Pia

Post by Pia »

Just got back from Haulover........yucky :(

Pia
mbw1024

Post by mbw1024 »

Pia wrote:Just got back from Haulover........yucky :(

Pia
can you explain this more? is this visible to the average swimmer?
Agent99

Post by Agent99 »

I'm sorry that I missed this thread before now. I have noticed a moderate decrease in visibility on the north shore but I thought it was because the water was not as calm as it has been on some of our previous trips. That is one reason why we decided to visit the a south shore beach. So many of you have reported on the clarity at Salt Pond and surrounds when the north shore is too active. Now that I understand that algae may be an issue I'll pay closer attention to the particles causing the haze.

As we speak I am downloading some photos to post of our snorkel yesterday at Blue Cobblestone and Gallows. I'll post them on the So Good Again trip report.
Pia

Post by Pia »

Oh yes :(

I decided to snorkel today as I haven't been since October (maybe) and Haulover was sunny and hot :)

I entered the water as it looked looked clear from the shore - well, about 20' out it was like looking throught a big dust cloud for the want of a better way of describing it but instead of dust it was tiny particles of green stuff - tiny green stuff like you had stirred up the sand with your hand - that kind of cloudy. I could always see the bottom but couldn't really see infront of me. I didn't see 2 rays until I was directly over them and they were only in about 8' of water.

Not fun

Pia
Chickadee

Post by Chickadee »

Sounds like snorkeling or diving in a lake here at home in Wisconsin... boooo.
Jennifer

nancyg

Post by nancyg »

i hope it gets better soon. I wonder if it can kill the coral if it stays around for a long time.

We arrive on Sunday and will be hitting the beach on Monday. Anyone know where the algae is not as bad.

Nancy
brenda

Post by brenda »

That's a bummer. Hope it goes away soon! Island looks so darn dry now too. Hope you guys get some night time rains.
Going "home" again October 26th!
nancyr84

Algae

Post by nancyr84 »

Oh no, I think this is one of my vacation nightmares. I had one that I forgot my camera, another that I forgot to go in the water!!!Please someone tell me this will be gone in 14 days.
Nancy