Returned Last Night

Travel discussion for St. John
Adrienne

Returned Last Night

Post by Adrienne »

So sad to be home! But, for the first time, glad not to be eaten alive any more!! We had a fantastic time. Our friends who came with us got engaged over on Jost. We had our 9 month old daughter with us, which was so much fun. She loves the water - it was a fight every time we had to get her out though! Didn't make it to a few of our favorite beaches due to the skeeter epidemic (I believe that is what it was called at Trunk...no lie - when you walked up to the NP window there was a huge sign warning about the mosquito epidemic!!). I hope that they are better for those who are arriving this week.

All in all, we had a great time. It was certainly different than our past trips ever were, but made many great new memories none-the-less and loved every minute! Interesting: our friend who went with us and also attended our wedding in Tortola (and is a real city boy!!!!) really loved Tortola way more than St. John. Goes to show, not for everyone!

We can't wait to return again!

Here are a few pics:

Daughter and I on Hawksnest

A little HUGE friend on my hike up the Caneel Trail

A small portion of my bites - pic didn't do it justice

Hawksnest (we were there a bit - the skeeters were not bad there!)

The family picture on Trunk

Lunch at Island Blues

Ride out to East End

Yep - not one but two of these in our villa - on our first day and our last day!! Very tiny though! Just glad my daughter didn't crawl over one!!

Top of Caneel Trail - I went alone (our house was right off on the trail) and I think this is when I got most of my skeeter bites!

View from our villa - Caneel Trailside Cottage - awesome for two couples!!!

Finally, the obligatory Trunk Bay picture!

lprof

Post by lprof »

Terrific mother and daughter happy smiles..
glad you had fun despite the "mosquito epidemic"
... no longer a stranger to paradise
California Girl

Post by California Girl »

Great pictures, Adrienne! Judging by the bites on your arm, I'm beginning to think the skeeters were worse last week than when we were there in '07, and they were terrible then! I also took a picture of my arm back then, but it was not something I'd want to post (ugly arm! LOL!). You can see the bites on my arm in this picture though.

http://www.pbase.com/thegripps/image/80105859

So glad you had a great time! Your daughter is a sweetie! :D
sea-nile

Post by sea-nile »

Looks like fun, well except for the mosquitoes.
liamsaunt

Post by liamsaunt »

Oh man, look at your arm. :(

Mosquitos love me, even if I am slathered in deet. I hope they go back to their normal levels before I get there or I am going to look like a mutant after a couple of days!

Great photo of you with your daughter!
It's like looking in your soup and finding a whole different alphabet.
brenda

Post by brenda »

Glad you made the most of your trip. Although the skeeters are better this week, there are still enough of them to be a nusiance in some places. They really aren't bad at all in Cruz Bay or at Gallow's Point. Maho yesterday was still pretty bad. It sort of takes away from the beach experience when you are constantly swatting at them. I am not normally a mosquito magnet, but even I find new bites every day. We did less beach time this trip. We will just have to make up for it next time.
Going "home" again October 26th!
flip-flop

Post by flip-flop »

We had the skeeetttter infestation in August and it was not fun, but still a week on stj with skeeters beats a week at home any day. Your little girl is adorable! Looks like she had the right attitude!
mindehankins

Post by mindehankins »

Great pics! Your daughter's too cute to be real... She looks like a little dolly :D Glad she enjoyed the water!
Bob & Anita

Post by Bob & Anita »

The picture of your arm is making us itchy. Hoping the mosquitoes die done over the next 4 weeks. Sounds like a battle from all the recent reports.
Bob & Anita