Prayers and Recipes

A place for members to talk about things outside of Virgin Islands travel.
Lulu76

Post by Lulu76 »

I have a few really good vegetarian recipes and tons of good crock pot stuff, so I will get some recipes together for you. I'm swamped right now, so it might be next week.

Hang in there. I'm praying for you all.
loria

Post by loria »

chicagoans, you probably already know this, but epicurous.com can be a great resource for recipes--
here is one of mine that i like:
oven baked ziti with 3 cheeses

2T Olive oil
1 chopped onion
2 large garlic cloves chopped
1t fennel seed
1/3 C tomato paste
1 C water
1t dried oregano
1/2 t dried sage
1/2 C grated parmesan
1 15 oz container ricotta
8 oz grated mozarella
1 egg
12 ozs cooked ziti

saute onion, garlic and fennel in oil until transluscent.
mix in paste, water orgeano and sage and simmer until thicken (about 10 minutes) stir in 1/4 cup parm, season with Salt and pepper
preheat oven to 450
butter a 9x13 dish
in a med bowl combine ricotta , egg reserve 1/4 cup mozarella and add the rest-mix
layer sauce/pasta/cheese/sauce/ pasta/cheese/sauce--sprinkle with remaining parm and mozarelle--bake approximately 40 minutes

you are a wonderful neighbor, I am so sorry for all the problems.

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/ ... mel-232078

the above is a link to a standby for us--(i am a vegetarian) it is a culiflower and brocolli flan with a spinach bechamel--can be prepped ahead and is super good.
< leaving on the 22nd of march...but too lame to figure out the ticker thing again!>
linne

Post by linne »

Chicagoans, I'm so sorry to hear about all the bad things, which happens in your life just now, I will send all the positive vibes I can hoping that you will overcome the troubles.

Linne
chicagoans

Post by chicagoans »

Thank you so much everyone for all the kind thoughts, prayers, and recipes. It really does help and I'll be cooking some of these this week.

thank you all!
Chickadee

Post by Chickadee »

Wow. I am so very sorry and wish everyone love, peace and healing.
Jennifer

djmom

Post by djmom »

So sorry to hear. And so much at once.

This wont work for your vegetarian obviously. But this is a nice change of pace for those getting casseroles. And simple and will last for several days if not needed.

Pulled Barbecued chicken.

Just poach several (4-6?) boneless chicken breasts (cook in boiling/simmering water for 15 minutes or so until just done-I use a thermometer to get to 165 degrees). Cool down and shred chicken with a fork. I think it is best if done as soon as chicken is cool enough to touch. Shred it- but not too thinly as it will shred more as it cooks.

In saucepan, pour in a commercial BBQ sauce, like Kraft (maybe 1/2 jar), then add some apple cider vinegar (maybe 1/4 cup or a little more) and then some honey (several tablespoons)...some fresh ground black pepper....you just adjust these quantities(add more sauce if needed)until you like the taste and consistency. I like it thinner and more vinegary, some like a really thick or sweet sauce so you would use less vinegar and more BBQ sauce. I cook it on the stove for 10-15 minutes on low to let the flavors combine.

The best way is to proceed slowly-you can always add more ingredients. Although now I just dump stuff in and it almost always is perfect.

You can cool this down and deliver this in tupperware with some soft rolls and maybe a jar of bread and butter pickles and some coleslaw or a fruit salad. This is a nice dish because they can heat it up for lunch or dinner and it isn't as heavy as so many of the things they will get. Just a nice summer meal. And you can make it ahead too!
"Sponges grow in the ocean...I wonder how much deeper it would be if that didn't happen."
Berlingirl

Post by Berlingirl »

I don't even know where to start. I'll keep them all in my prayers. There is so much sadness around you. I will start with the loss of the 22 year old. Our best friends lost their 22 year only child a son a few years ago this past May. They have been going through the worst of times since then. It's been hard for them to even keep it together many days. Just be there for them when they scream and cry and don't want to get up in the morning. It isn't easy and it's sad and they'll try to distance themselves from you as you have small kids like we do. They don't want to be around. Don't give up on them. Don't give up on any of them as they need your support now more than ever before.

I shop at a great local bakery known for it's great pies and sweets and pick up fresh baked goods and deliver them. I don't have any special recipes personally.
Hoping for a USVI ticker in 2013!
DELETED

Post by DELETED »

DELETED

Last bumped by Anonymous on Sat Dec 23, 2023 12:39 pm.