Is Iran a Surprising Place?

A place for members to talk about things outside of Virgin Islands travel.
JT

Post by JT »

Wakey wrote:
Jan&MikeVa wrote:In honor of Anthony
Anthony said it's cool, let the horse run..

Having said that, I wish everyone would STFU. (he recomended self policing :lol: )
Wakey, You and I probably wouldn't agee on much at all politically, but I think we'd get along pretty good over a beer, or two.
When you find yourself in a hole.... quit digging.
soxfan22

Post by soxfan22 »

jmq wrote:This is way below your political debating talents, and maybe like in sports, teams and individuals tend to play down or up to the level of their opponents.

I think I’m fairly well read, but I cant hold a candle to you. If I were you, I might consider not wasting my political time and energy here and take it where I would be more engaged and challenged by folks with similar skill levels, and where my skills would be much more appreciated. That would be a lot more fun. This forum really isn’t worthy of your political acumen.

Finally – My greatness has been recognized. As one of America’s genuine Truth Detector’s, I aim only to be a Weapon of Mass Instruction to the people of the VIOL community.

As a boy attending Skrewl, I sensed the greatness that lurked within my perfectly assembled intellect and Ubersexual physique…On many occasions, I would debate my social studies teacher with Half My Brain Tied Behind My Back…Just To Make it Fair.

My life has been nothing short of remarkable…Many have been afforded the pleasure of interviewing me, Maha-Soxie…Including Baba Wawa (Barbara Walters, for those of you in Rio Linda and Port St. Lucie)…I hold here in my Formerly Nicotine Stained Hands a partial list of influential world leaders who have been fortunate enough to inhale my spent carbon dioxide…A few of those who made the list are The Breck Girl (John Edwards), The Swimmer (Teddy Kennedy), Algore (Al Gore), Bela Pelosi (Nancy Pelosi), Dingy Harry (Harry Reid), Lindsey Grahamnesty (Lindsey Graham), and of course the late, great, Ronald Magnus (as if I need to tell you).

And let us not forget my appearance on Slay The Nation, when the Prestigious Atilla the Hun Chair traveled with me up to Washington, so that Dick Turbin (Dick Durbin, Democrat, Illinois) could share the stage with me, El-Soxo…The Fourth Branch of Government…The Doctor of Democracy, With Talent On Loan From God.

We discussed all the issues that day…Club Gitmo, Cuber, North Korea’s Pot-Bellied Communist Leader, the Chicoms, and of course, the current status of the Obama Daily Tracking Poll (The Dow Jones Industrial Average, which has continued to Assume Room Temperature since the Inauguration of The Messiah).

In closing, as I have a gigantic Stack of Stuff to get through here, I will say that it is true that I have been attacked in typical liberal fashion as a run of the mill Racist, Sexist, Bigot, Homophobe here on the forum. The drive by media is driven to destroy anyone who voices dissent, especially when that dissent is voiced so eloquently and correctly (over 99% of the time) through this Golden EIB Keyboard.

And so I will push on as America’s Posterman…A Real Man, A Living Legend, A Way of Life.

~Maha-Soxie
Last edited by soxfan22 on Tue Jun 16, 2009 12:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
July 2003 - Honeymoon at The Westin
July 2004 - Glenmar, Gifft Hill
July 2005 - Arco Iris, Fish Bay
December 2007 - Dreamcatcher, GCB
July 2008 - Ellison Villa, VGE
Jan&MikeVa

Post by Jan&MikeVa »

Sox.............you are so full of yourself. I am going to ask Anthony to remove you from the forum. I respect all opinions........but this is not the place. Get over yourself and take your crap elsewhere please.
Lex

Post by Lex »

jmq

You raised the question of why Sox comes here. His act has become pretty obvious by now, but that remains a puzzle for me, too. Why would he come to an obscure little internet travel forum to jerk people around and spout his stuff? Nearly all of his postings are on the OTF and political in nature. To my thinking it's such an unlikely place for him, with his focus, to become so involved. There must be something in it for him, something perhaps that feels safe. I use other forums for other interests of mine, forums that have been set up for those particular topics. I can't imagine what it would be that would motivate me bring those interests to this forum with his degree of involvement. Puzzling.

One more thing I'm unsure about regarding Sox. It's been pointed out to him numerous times that he's disliked not for his particular beliefs but because of his offensive tone and style. I imagine that he understands that and that it's just part of his game, but I'm not totally sure. It would be more comfortable for him to believe that he was disliked because of what he believes in rather than because he's such a jerk. But I'm sure that he doesn't treat people in person as he does here on this forum. If nothing else, he'd be getting smacked in the mouth frequently enough that he'd start modifying his act.

But other than the puzzle of why he's chosen this forum, he's been around long enough to have become pretty predictable and a bit pathetic. Sometimes still a little irritating but mostly insignificant. That last post is a bit weird, though. I guess it's intended to be humor, or maybe not.

I'd still like to understand what's in it for him that he puts his show on here rather than someplace where there would be more action. Not because I'm particularly interested in him any longer but just for the general human understanding bank.
jmq

Post by jmq »

[quote="Jan&MikeVa"] Sox...you are so full of yourself. I am going to ask Anthony to remove you from the forum. [quote]

no, No, NO - a thousand times NO. Please dont do that. It comes off as being too intolerant. You dont have to like it, but you have to respect his right to do what it is he does.

Also, please be clear that I wholeheartedly agree with the Sox supporters: if you don’t like his posts, just skip over them. And think twice about replying, because he’ll eat your lunch when it comes to politics.
Last edited by jmq on Tue Jun 16, 2009 7:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
When we come to place where the sea and the sky collide
Throw me over the edge and let my spirit glide
djmom

Post by djmom »

Why does Soxfan continue to post?

He likes upsetting people more than he loves St. John.
"Sponges grow in the ocean...I wonder how much deeper it would be if that didn't happen."
JT

Post by JT »

No, he bogarts the joint, but he shouldn't be knocked off. Ignored, maybe. I'm not into censorship. My take on Sox is that he indulges his fantasy of being the next Rush Limbaugh by practicing on this board. Like Rush, he tries to be as abrasive and obnoxious as he can. The message he tries to deliver isn't his main objective. No the main objective is to piss you off so as to get attention focused on him.
It's notable that no other political posts stir up so much ill will.
When you find yourself in a hole.... quit digging.
DaveS007

Post by DaveS007 »

soxfan22 wrote:
jmq wrote:This is way below your political debating talents, and maybe like in sports, teams and individuals tend to play down or up to the level of their opponents.

I think I’m fairly well read, but I cant hold a candle to you. If I were you, I might consider not wasting my political time and energy here and take it where I would be more engaged and challenged by folks with similar skill levels, and where my skills would be much more appreciated. That would be a lot more fun. This forum really isn’t worthy of your political acumen.

Finally – My greatness has been recognized. As one of America’s genuine Truth Detector’s, I aim only to be a Weapon of Mass Instruction to the people of the VIOL community.

As a boy attending Skrewl, I sensed the greatness that lurked within my perfectly assembled intellect and Ubersexual physique…On many occasions, I would debate my social studies teacher with Half My Brain Tied Behind My Back…Just To Make it Fair.

My life has been nothing short of remarkable…Many have been afforded the pleasure of interviewing me, Maha-Soxie…Including Baba Wawa (Barbara Walters, for those of you in Rio Linda and Port St. Lucie)…I hold here in my Formerly Nicotine Stained Hands a partial list of influential world leaders who have been fortunate enough to inhale my spent carbon dioxide…A few of those who made the list are The Breck Girl (John Edwards), The Swimmer (Teddy Kennedy), Algore (Al Gore), Bela Pelosi (Nancy Pelosi), Dingy Harry (Harry Reid), Lindsey Grahamnesty (Lindsey Graham), and of course the late, great, Ronald Magnus (as if I need to tell you).

And let us not forget my appearance on Slay The Nation, when the Prestigious Atilla the Hun Chair traveled with me up to Washington, so that Dick Turbin (Dick Durbin, Democrat, Illinois) could share the stage with me, El-Soxo…The Fourth Branch of Government…The Doctor of Democracy, With Talent On Loan From God.

We discussed all the issues that day…Club Gitmo, Cuber, North Korea’s Pot-Bellied Communist Leader, the Chicoms, and of course, the current status of the Obama Daily Tracking Poll (The Dow Jones Industrial Average, which has continued to Assume Room Temperature since the Inauguration of The Messiah).

In closing, as I have a gigantic Stack of Stuff to get through here, I will say that it is true that I have been attacked in typical liberal fashion as a run of the mill Racist, Sexist, Bigot, Homophobe here on the forum. The drive by media is driven to destroy anyone who voices dissent, especially when that dissent is voiced so eloquently and correctly (over 99% of the time) through this Golden EIB Keyboard.

And so I will push on as America’s Posterman…A Real Man, A Living Legend, A Way of Life.

~Maha-Soxie
Ditto...
Boston Mike

Post by Boston Mike »

I’m still walking around the house with no shoes, no shirt, and no problems. I am now going to print this thread, go into my little office, sit on my fancy toilet, read through it, use it as a wipe, and then flush the freakin’ toilet.

Now, is that a political correct thing to say? That’s pretty much all the politics you’re going to get out of me.
Life begins where the land ends!
flip-flop

Post by flip-flop »

Lex wrote:
Sometimes still a little irritating but mostly insignificant. That last post is a bit weird, though. I guess it's intended to be humor, or maybe not.
I think it was an attempt to sound intelligent, or unintelligible. Whichever!

IGNORE and MARGINALIZE. I may be a slow learner, but I finally realized it works way better than engagement.
Agent99

Post by Agent99 »

At the risk of marginalizing myself.....I thought Maha Soxie was funny.
Come on folks! This is really, really small stuff!
DaveS007

Post by DaveS007 »

Anthony wrote:Dave you do seem a little obsessed that this forum is also a business (if a small one at that). I have been working on this or other Caribbean websites for about 15 years now. It is not all about making money. And over the years, we actually have not made much. This forum could never support me and my family - I work at it daily though along with several other things and sometimes pick up whatever comes along to pay the bills. I have always operated on the principle of trying to bring people together to share information. Yes - I sell ads, have sponsors, etc. but I'm a little more of a human than to just be playing you all for your coin. I am sorry you don't seem to get that. Maybe we need to have a beer together -
DaveS007 wrote:Contrary to what most people on here think, there is only one reason for this forum. For an individual entrepreneur to make money be ME using his advertisers.
So it's a hobby?
Love to have a beer with you someday. Stella on tap?
Anthony
Site Admin

Post by Anthony »

DaveS007 wrote:So it's a hobby?
:)

I would say it is somewhere in the middle. Let's put it this way, if I could generate enough revenue from the content parts of this website as a business, say - selling travel or books and maps, etc. and that paid the bills, I wouldn't have ads on the forum. It is sort of a gray area - but the whole point of me starting out on the web was not about making money. We started as a Caribbean map site, since my in-laws made maps - and I thought they would be a good thing to share with people. They had them, and I took them on-line. Then I just kept following other ways of sharing information as they became available to us (forums, reviews, etc.).

A good example is the hurricane site http://stormcarib.com/
The guy who runs the site had no ads for years - he finally put a few Google ads to try to cover his server costs because the site is so popular.

It really is a frame of mind thing I think to a point. People do do things sometimes without thinking about how much they will make off of them - I have found the concept really difficult to grasp - especially for Americans (it was hard for me to grasp for awhile but I have definitely changed my thinking on it).

Maybe this doesn't make much sense. But I guess what I am trying to say is I didn't make an off topic forum to gain more page views or make more money from the members. I made it thinking it was a good idea since like minded people (lovers of the USVI) seemed to want to share other things, and I could give them a place to do it. That doesn't seem to be working out as planned...

Stella is good BTW
Anthony for Virgin Islands On Line
DaveS007

Post by DaveS007 »

Stella is my favorite, only on tap though.

It really is a frame of mind thing I think to a point. People do do things sometimes without thinking about how much they will make off of them - I have found the concept really difficult to grasp - especially for Americans (it was hard for me to grasp for awhile but I have definitely changed my thinking on it).

This is an interesting point, not that I understand it completely but it hit home. My wife and I started our business 13 years ago from a passion we had (we are in the medical field, we provide a very specific test for a specific disease). We never even gave it much thought as far as profit, except to say we were pretty sure we could make a living doing it. It turned out that back then it was surprising that we had succeeded to others. Today we are pretty successful at it and now are reaping the rewards of hard work, luck, and a passion that wasn't going to be swayed. I'm always interested in entrepreneurs. I firmly believe it is all about passion. Thanks for your replys.
StJohnRuth

Post by StJohnRuth »

The End.