Snorkel Equipment

Travel discussion for St. John
nascarfan59

Snorkel Equipment

Post by nascarfan59 »

I'm down in Sarasota FL for the week and decided to stop at one of the local dive shops. Well a $133 later I've got all new snorkel equipment. Has anybody used Scubapro Twin Speed FF fins? Salesman tells you get twice the speed for the kick. Would like to know if I made a good choice before I head back home Saturday.

Thanks for your input.
Mike

God is great, beer is good, people are crazy.
DELETED

Post by DELETED »

DELETED
Jumbiegirl

Post by Jumbiegirl »

Dude, speed rules! A friend and I were swimming like crazy to keep up with a Spotted Eagle Ray circling Jumbie Bay one day. His fins sucked and he couldn't keep up. Mine were far more powerful and I had a great time. The current around Waterlemon can be VERY powerful. I remember one day I had trouble even using my power fins. They also come in really handy when you've been out snorkling for 2 hours and you realize just how far away from your beach site you are. You can speed back if you want do. You won't be sorry you have them.
Diana2

Post by Diana2 »

I bought a pair of split fins last fall before a trip to Bonaire and let me say I LOVE my split fins! I love them so much my husband bought a pair when we got back home and we bought a pair for our daughter and son-in-law for Christmas. The guy at the dive shop gave you good advise. The other piece of equipment that I also bought before the Bonaire trip was a dry snorkle. That's another great 'must have' item IMHO. If you don't have a dry snorkel, you might want to pick one up before you leave.

Jumbiegirl is right about the need for 'speed'. It's really more about using less energy/effort and gaining better results with the split fins. I think you'll really like them. When is your trip?
DELETED

Post by DELETED »

DELETED
Diana2

Post by Diana2 »

Sorry, Mike. :oops: I didn't realize you were part of the May trip of the Drunk Broke bunch. :lol: Yup, I sounds like you're gonna need all the energy you can get. We expect complete and detailed reports so that we can all live vicariously.
liamsaunt

Post by liamsaunt »

Post a review of them once you try them out. I'm in the market for a new set of fins--I actually left mine at Secret Harbour last year because I was so sick of them. They kept giving me a toe cramp. Too small, maybe?
It's like looking in your soup and finding a whole different alphabet.
DELETED

Post by DELETED »

DELETED
nascarfan59

Snorkel Equipment

Post by nascarfan59 »

SJfromNJ - Did not really buy them for speed just that the salesman told me you get twice the kick for the effort. I'm small in stature at 5'8" and 130 lbs soaking wet and every little help I can get I will take. Since you are experienced and I'm just a novice if we are on the island at the same time would you mind if I hooked up a tow rope to you for me and my cooler? :D :D :D

Diana2 - I bought the fins, mask, and snorkel. The snorkel I got has a cap at the end with slots that point upward and inward at a 45 degree angle to keep the water out. What water that does get in is collected in a reservoir at the bottom which has a purge valve that allows you to blow and clean it out.

Jeorge - We missed getting together in FL but I'm confident we can and WILL make up for it in May. My
fins are going to look like goodwill items next to yours :D Luv Yu Bud

God is great, beer is good, people are crazy.
DELETED

Post by DELETED »

DELETED

Last bumped by Anonymous on Sat Dec 16, 2023 7:39 pm.