Little more St. John restaurant news

Travel discussion for St. John
hugo

Post by hugo »

I did not mean to imply that other current St. John restaurant managers are crooks, and I apologize if it was taken that way. I meant that we have had a disproportionate number of unsavory business people in the VI, and many have gotten away...
designbyroe

Post by designbyroe »

I did not take it that way Hugo, I was just asking about Reliance Housing since I thought they were on the up and up...

There's no $ sign on a peace of mind, this I've come to know
Anthony
Site Admin

Post by Anthony »

Obviously this is a crappy and deteriorating situation. My sympathies to all who are adversely affected. Please let's not make it personal though and drag individuals through the mud - their is no reason to dog pile on Cindy. She told us what she was hearing just as others did.

Hopefully the situation rights itself soon somehow and some or most of these places are open by the time the season starts in earnest.
Anthony for Virgin Islands On Line
iamyourserver

Post by iamyourserver »

Agreed - Cindy has been lied to like the rest of us, hopefully she sees the big picture. I have to say thank you to the forum for letting us get the message out there via your forum. As far as quality and service issues at these restaurants. You have to understand what we are dealing with in unheard of in the business. All deliveries are COD - which means if we dont have cash, we dont get food/beer/ wine/ gas/ co2...etc. In all honesty, it is amazing the product that gets put out there. Little to no refrigeration, faulty stoves etc..ehhh you get the point.
madness

Post by madness »

Iamyourserver - I think your situation is terrible, and I can appreciate that you need/want to vent. These restaurants need paying customers to survive (if not too far gone already), and as someone who is going to St. John soon, I don't see myself eating at a troubled restaurant.

I realize this is a bad situation, but I cannot see this thread helping any of the restaurants. It does help the servers get tipped in cash, if people eat at these places.

Quite an unfortunate situation.
uptotheminute

Clarification and update

Post by uptotheminute »

designbyroe, I noticed throughout the thread people have mentioned that some of what's being done by these restaurants happens elsewhere on the island, especially during slow season. I just wanted to stand up for the good, legitimate hard working restaurant owners (and no I am not affiliated with any of them) who take great care of their staff, even when times are hard. That's all I meant by that comment.

So, next update: the feds are down here now. They are investigating the fraudulent check issue that was in the paper today, among other things. The top guy (we'll call him "W") is supposed to be on island tomorrow. Hmmmmm..... should be interesting! Paradiso is still closed because no one will work until they are paid. Balcony has been running out of food left and right and today has stopped serving fried food because the oil in the fryer is weeks old. But good news, at least the rat problem there has gotten better. More later!
Connie

Post by Connie »

Hopefully??? The feds will sort things out, but most likely there's alot of people out of money.
"Paradise...it's a state of mine"
iamyourserver

Post by iamyourserver »

The point is we could serve the entire island in one night at our restaurant - and STILL no one would get paid. Hence the cash only policy - for a week or so we all took cash only and paid ourselves- for some us- that was the first $$ we had seen in over 3 pay periods.Until "W" and "M" - put an end to that.
cptnkirk

Post by cptnkirk »

Interesting thread, to bad for the people getting stiffed thats sucks :cry:

I would recommend more people go during hurricane season cause we absolutely loved the beaches this time of year. Not to many of ya though cause it was nice having them all to ourselves :D
iamyourserver

Post by iamyourserver »

its been awhile - but guess what STILL NOT PAID!
California Girl

Post by California Girl »

This whole situation sucks big time! I used to work for a guy and I made out the paychecks. I knew there wasn't enough in the bank to cover payroll, so I was always the first one to the bank to cash my check. It really sucks when you put in your efforts and work all week to get NO COMPENSATION at the end. I would walk out too. In fact I have. In a case like this, I believe you would qualify for unemployment (usually you don't qualify if you quit your job).

The saddest part of all is the fact that St. John is a small island and jobs are few and far-between for those needing new employment. I hope the "CEO" and everyone else responsible for this mess get their comeuppance!

For most of us, we work for a paycheck, not a hobby!

Last bumped by Anonymous on Wed Dec 20, 2023 12:31 pm.