STT Suggestions

Travel discussion for St. John
tincansailor

STT Suggestions

Post by tincansailor »

Just discovered this forum yesterday and very happy to have done so!

We're traveling to STT in February, staying at Sapphire Beach.

We've been to STT several times but always on a cruise, so it's been off the boat, into a cab to Megan's Bay, back to the shops downtown and back on the ship. Now that we have a week there, I'd love to hear about the "must-do's" as well as the "don't waste your time's". We have already planned at least one day on STJ.

Thanks!
mahojim

Post by mahojim »

Be sure to hit Duffy's Love Shack! It's located in a parking lot @200 yds. from the ferry to STJ at Red Hook.
While you're there, why not do a daytrip to STJ?
Good luck and always
Smiles-
MJ
Connie

Post by Connie »

You're staying on a great beach with excellent snorkeling. It really is one of the nicest beaches on STT. Also, Coki and Secret Harbour for snorkeling. Smith Bay (formally Linquivt) is close by and it's a gorgeous beach.

Places to eat and go?

Duffy's is close by. Lattitude 18 is probably one of my favorite places on the water. Molly Mallones has great breakfast. Blue Moon is on the water too. Fungi's is smack dab on the water.

We really liked Paradise Point at Sunset. There's a few shops there and you eat and drink while the sun sets over Charlotte Amalie and the sea planes land while the Cruise Ships all lit up begin to leave.

STJ of course for a day of snorkeling and if you like shopping, spend a day in Cruz Bay.

Don't forget a day trip over to the BVI's!! You can even rent a dinghy one day right in Cruz Bay and spend a 1/2 or full day out by yourselves and stop at other beaches.

A week is never enough!
"Paradise...it's a state of mine"
jimg20

Post by jimg20 »

New Horizons II runs their BVI day trips out of the Sapphire Marina. At least they did 2 years ago when we took it.

JIM
Man it's like some dream we live down here....

mrscaptainjay

Post by mrscaptainjay »

Also, don't forget the restaurants in Frenchtown. Hook Line & Sinker, Oceana, Craig and Sally, Pie Whole. Lots of choices.

some other Activities: parasailing, kayak tour with VI Eco tours, performance sailing with Ondeck.

Enjoy! :-)
2beachbums

Post by 2beachbums »

Unless you have kids, I wouldn't do Coral World. I would go to Coki - fun beach and you will get amazing photos there! Find the cool guy with dreads that makes strawberry pinacoladas. (He was on the far left of the vendors if your back is to the water.)
Go to Magens Bay but be sure to stop at Udder Delight for a fantastic milk shake with a kick of booze! It is on the curve across the road as you leave Magens Park. Take time to tour the island (you will do this while trying to find things at first too...LOL!) If you have a Jeep go to one of the North side beaches like Hull bay for the views.

Iggy's has a fun AUCE crab legs night on Tuesdays and a Carribean beach party feast on Wednesdays.

Try Bumpas in Charlotte Amalie for brunch. They are upstairs from a Pirate Shop with a nice view of the water. They make a GREAT grilled peanut butter, honey and banana sandwich...seriously it is very yummy!
Berlingirl

Post by Berlingirl »

Ditto on Latitude 18, esp a night they have music. Arrive early or you'll be in the twilight zone. Blue Moon at Secret Harbour...great tuna appetizer!

Found that Duffys in Red Hook is highly overrated...

Would def do a STJ day also as others have suggested.

Have fun. :D
Hoping for a USVI ticker in 2013!
California Girl

Post by California Girl »

Connie wrote: We really liked Paradise Point at Sunset. There's a few shops there and you eat and drink while the sun sets over Charlotte Amalie and the sea planes land while the Cruise Ships all lit up begin to leave.
... and you can say to yourselves, "We're not on that ship, that's not us leaving! We get to stay! Suckerrrrs!" :lol:
sherban

Post by sherban »

I'm thinking about a trip to STT in 2010...here's some stuff...
http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g1 ... lands.html

Also- take a day sail trip to STJ and/or BVIs!

Peace.
rpplano

Post by rpplano »

Use their airport, then get your tail over to STJ ASAP. :idea: :lol:
Connie

Post by Connie »

Sorry, have to disagree with you there and I know this is a STJ forum, but there's ALOT of people that really love STT and find their nitch.

The good thing is that you can take the ferry to STJ and enjoy there too.

If STJ people only see Charlotte Amalie to Red Hook, then you're missing the whole experience.
"Paradise...it's a state of mine"
toni

Post by toni »

For local fare we enjoy Glady's Cafe and Cuzzins. For dining with a view/more romantic we like Mafolie Restaurant http://www.mafolie.com/mafolie-restaurant.asp
We went to Megan's Bay on a Sunday (I think it was) and it was a really nice vibe with families and locals.
Have a great vacation! :D
tincansailor

Post by tincansailor »

Thanks so much, guys, for all the advice! Sounds like there's plenty to do and that STJ may be worth more than one trip.

Appreciate the tip about Coral World, too.

and you can say to yourselves, "We're not on that ship, that's not us leaving! We get to stay! Suckerrrrs"

That is so true! After 6 cruises we decided to find out for ourselves what happened back on the island as the ship sailed over the horizon--we spent a week on St. Maarten last year. Cruised again this past spring and it just wasn't the same. Can't wait til the end of Jan.
California Girl

Post by California Girl »

You're gonna' love it! :D

Last bumped by Anonymous on Mon Dec 25, 2023 7:30 pm.