Photo of Mariel Bass at Work-Maho Campground

Travel discussion for St. John
50%ChanceofRain

Photo of Mariel Bass at Work-Maho Campground

Post by 50%ChanceofRain »

Just posted this photo up on my photo blog of Mariel Bass, resident glass blower at Maho campground. Though I would share it here as well and recomend Maho campground as a nice stop for visitors to St. John to watch some of these artist at work.

Here is the Blog link - http://www.fiftypercentchanceofrain.com/
StJohnRuth

Post by StJohnRuth »

That is a very cool photo!
greyhoundmom

Post by greyhoundmom »

How awesome to finally see a female glass blower at Maho! In the years we've been there, it's always been Greg. Wonder if he's still there? He did a 4 year run, maybe he's moved on. And by the way, she looks like a cutie pie! Love, love, love Maho glass creations and watching the process. Greg made an octupus for me a couple of years ago. My granddaughter and her best friend took a class from Greg 2 years ago and they were the only ones to sign up. They had a blast and made some cool pieces. We have so many good family memories from the glass demonstrations. Always one of my big splurges although we don't stay at Maho Camps anymore. Thanks for sharing! :lol:
50%ChanceofRain

Maho's website list both Mariel and Greg as the resident artist.

http://www.maho.org/GBP.cfm
California Girl

Post by California Girl »

From my first trip to St. John, I have always wanted to visit that glass "factory." I still haven't made it! This post has me all excited about it again! Thanks! :D
mbw1024

Post by mbw1024 »

California Girl wrote:From my first trip to St. John, I have always wanted to visit that glass "factory." I still haven't made it! This post has me all excited about it again! Thanks! :D
me too! how do I find it?
50%ChanceofRain

mbw1024

It is at Maho Campground, by Maho Beach. Taxis can drop you off right at the camp or for more adventure take the goat trail up from Maho beach. A small amout of parking at the front as well I believe. They also have clay artist, textile artist, and some special guest artist most times. The coolest part is most art is all made from items found and recycled from the island. Most of the glass is from beer bottles that have been recycled. They call it Trash to Treasure.
mbw1024

Post by mbw1024 »

for the life of me I can never figure out where the camp grounds are. I guess I'm silly or not paying attention! it's still on the list :)
AquaGirl

Post by AquaGirl »

Thanks for posting that cool picture. Going to the glass blowing demo at Maho is one of our favorite things to do on STJ. We usually go for sunset and dinner, then wander down to watch the demo. Glass blowing is so interesting and I like how they use recycled bottles.
djmom

Post by djmom »

Like some of the others we have never been and I can't believe we have missed out on this! Thanks for posting.
"Sponges grow in the ocean...I wonder how much deeper it would be if that didn't happen."
Berlingirl

Post by Berlingirl »

Did not know this existed for visitors to Maho. Thought it was for guests of the campground only. Thanks for posting! :D
Hoping for a USVI ticker in 2013!
lprof

Post by lprof »

Seems you have stirred up some interest in glass blowing and the Maho campgrounds - good things to experience

and shared another terrific photo, as well. Thanks! 8)
... no longer a stranger to paradise
PA Girl

Post by PA Girl »

California Girl wrote:From my first trip to St. John, I have always wanted to visit that glass "factory." I still haven't made it! This post has me all excited about it again! Thanks! :D
Ditto! We will make it next trip
AnyTing

Post by AnyTing »

Very nice. More, please. :)
liamsaunt

Post by liamsaunt »

Great photo!
Where is the studio at Maho? Up by the restaurant? I'd like to stop by and check it out next trip.
It's like looking in your soup and finding a whole different alphabet.