Travel discussion for St. John
DELETED

Scuba Questions

Post by DELETED »

DELETED
captainjay

Indians

Post by captainjay »

We dove there last Feb. I had snorkled the sight several years prior. When I wasn't certified to dive. It is a nice dive and not difficult for a first time diver. My only addition would be that the day we dove it the current was running pretty strong and we swam up current first then down current to the boat. The easiest dive that we did on the trip was The Dauntless at Peter Island. It is a wreck sunk intentionally I beleive, in a cove and well protected. I have some pictures posted on youtube from my dives last Feb
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BJqLyc0KeZA
Jay
DELETED

Post by DELETED »

DELETED
MIG

Post by MIG »

I snorkeled the Indians last year. I'd say under 30' deep.
MIG

Post by MIG »

hmmm...I just googled and found a page that says the depth is up to 90'. I really don't remember it being anywhere that deep right near the rocks. Perhaps further away?
captainjay

The Indians

Post by captainjay »

Jorge,
Nitro is about 15 Miles west of Charleston. My dive log says 45 Feet was the max depth that we dove. Which matches what I found on line at http://www.scubamom.com/bvi-diving/divesite/
Hope this helps.
Jay
ScubaGirl

Post by ScubaGirl »

Jorge,

Another nice easy dive is waterlemon. You can go all the way around the cay and see lots of stuff and it's not deep . Maybe 30 ft.

Sydney
papabou

bottom time at indians

Post by papabou »

jorge,

only did prolonged snorkle with deep (for me) free dives at Indians buttt; unless you're real curious on outlying areas or planning 2 tank dive or doing on fly day, you'll run out of air before you peak bottom time. most of best stuff seemed to be in first 30 feet. while no real gotto's at indians, lot of openings etc like eden rock by harbor at gtown g cayman. like eden rk, indians would be mavelous nite dive. no more scuba for me though, the bride gave my padi card to the dogs to chew on (a message not to be ignored). still use my 1985 tabata presciption mask and snorkel for snorkels. dive instructors recs on buying "new" silicone mask paid off for me.

enjoy and post pictures.

papabou
DELETED

Post by DELETED »

DELETED
DELETED

Post by DELETED »

DELETED
jimw

Post by jimw »

If you lay on the bottom on the southeast side it's about 50ft. It's an excellent beginner dive. On the north side of the Indians if you're swimming west it gets very shallow & confining with coral heads once you pass by a very colorful mini "wall", opposite if swimming east torward Norman Island. Here beginners that maybe don't have the best bouyancy control will find themselves on the surface before they know it. Many think of it just as a snorkle spot but, go SLOW, eyes open, head on a swivel & you can see many things!

This is a good rule any time you're in the water.

Last bumped by Anonymous on Tue Jul 18, 2023 8:22 am.