Ten dollar parking at Caneel

Travel discussion for St. John
PA Girl

Post by PA Girl »

liamsaunt wrote:I personally think that this is more than fair. I've only stayed at Caneel during the off season, and even then parking is very tight. The whole front of the lot is taken up by taxis (as it should be). I'd guess there are about 20 other spots before you have to park along the side of the road leading to the lot. I imagine it's much worse during the on season. I do think it's nice that they offer you a credit back. Tip: many cocktails are $5 each at the bar, 5 PM to sunset. :D
I agree, the parking is tight. When eating at Caneel during high season, it was VERY tight.

I would be shocked, and unpleasantly surprised, if they charged guest the parking fee.

I do think a business has a right to expect non-guests to pay a reasonable amount towards their use of the facilities.

The business, Caneel, needs to maintain the parking area, keep the common areas litter free, clean the bathrooms, etc.

In return, guests get to park in a paved lot, use of modern restrooms and have an easy walk to reach the beaches.

Trunk charges $4 which you are sort of forced to pay unless you get there at an off-time. No one needs to pay the $10, they will do so for the convenience.
crasherino

Post by crasherino »

PA Girl wrote:
I do think a business has a right to expect non-guests to pay a reasonable amount towards their use of the facilities.

The business, Caneel, needs to maintain the parking area, keep the common areas litter free, clean the bathrooms, etc.
I'm with you on that one. It sucks as they've never done it before so its kind of a shock, but they have every right to charge. There are other ways to get to Honeymoon - just not as convenient perhaps. If you want convenience, sometimes you need to pay for it.

Parking at Slimman's is another convenience that I gladly pay for as well. I'd love to find a spot on the street, but after a quick look, I'm not going to worry about it on vacation. I happily pay Slim the $10 and know that my car will be there when we get back.
DELETED

Post by DELETED »

DELETED
Saint

Caneel parking?

Post by Saint »

That's interesting..we were at Caneel the first day they opened and there was no parking at all for those not staying there...not even paid parking. They told us to park across the street which only holds about 4 cars. Maybe it depends on who is at the security gate! hmmmm!
djmom

Post by djmom »

If I was paying high dollar prices to stay at Caneel, I would be really ticked if I had to park way out in the boonies because of people like us :lol: You know they see us cutting through.

Seems reasonable to me. Not that I want to pay it, but it seems reasonable.

Personally, I prefer the trail.
"Sponges grow in the ocean...I wonder how much deeper it would be if that didn't happen."