A question about Best Western Emerald Beach

Travel discussion for St. John
California Girl

A question about Best Western Emerald Beach

Post by California Girl »

For those of you who have stayed at the Emerald Beach Best Western, can you tell me if the airport noise/planes taking off & landing is bad? I mean, if you wanted to chill on the beach there for 3 days before you left, would it be enjoyable, or are there jet fumes and terrible noise? Thanks!
PappaJim

Post by PappaJim »

The noise is not a problem. There are no fumes at all. It is "close" to the airport, but the plane traffic stops around 6:00 PM, if I remember correctly. BW Emerald has a nice beach, beautiful pool and so close to everything. Try it, you'll like it! :D
Jim
PappaJim

Post by PappaJim »

Here is a link to 3 pictures I have uploaded for you.
http://community.webshots.com/album/557658637vXYWYi
The airport is to the right and out of the view of the room pictures, but far enough that the noise was not a bother for us. SuefromMA (wifey) could expand on my comments.
Jim
chrisn

Post by chrisn »

We stayed at Emerald Beach two nights last June and I don't ever remember being bothered by aircraft noise or fumes.
California Girl

Hey thanks! Your information is extremely valuable to me! :D
Anthony
Site Admin

Post by Anthony »

When we lived on St. Thomas we would go to that beach sometimes just for the beach. If you are looking out at the water there is good snorkeling all along the left hand side along the rocks - I have found lobster there in waist deep water, and the further out you go the more interesting it gets. We have friends who have stayed there often and they love it.
Last edited by Anthony on Fri Feb 16, 2007 9:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Anthony for Virgin Islands On Line
California Girl

Thanks Anthony! If you Google Earth the airport, those two Best Westerns look like they're practically sitting on the runway, so I truly appreciate everyone's input.

That's what make this forum so valuable! I could't get these answers anywhere else! :D
SuefromMA

BW Emerald Beach

Post by SuefromMA »

As my husband (PappaJim) mentioned - we had a really nice stay there.

The beach is really nice - lots of lounge chairs & shade to be had, for those who like it.

LOVED hearing the water at night - right from your bed. Really nice having beachfront accomodations. We really did a lot of touring during the day. But, the times when we were on the beach, we actually enjoyed watching the different types of planes landing or departing. It actually added a bit of "charm" and really didn't detract from any enjoyment at all.

We actually went to Magen's Bay one day & after hearing all the loud music & being with the "throng" of people - we said "let's head back to our beach" and we loved it!

One of the highlights of that trip was enjoying the beautiful pool there, at night! Beautiful pool - just a really romantic & tranquil way to end the day.

I do remember though that I thought that the ocean water at that beach seemed a bit more "salty" than other beaches. Not a big deal, just wanted to mention it.

Based on our stay, we would recommend this hotel.

Also, if you haven't made it up to The Mountain Top - go there & have one of their awesome Banana Daiquiri's - probably right up there with the best drinks I have had the pleasure of tasting in the Caribbean.
Maryanne

Post by Maryanne »

Our 23 year old daughter has been staying in some very nice villas on STJ since she was 7. Last summer, she and her boyfriend went to STJ by themselves. They booked into Estate Lindholm on STJ and then the Best Western Emerald on the way out. They realized, spending their own money, what a good deal the Emerald was. They considered it a great value--clean, friendly, nice beach, no airport noise problems. They were kind of sorry they didn't spend their whole hard-earned 10 days at such a place.

Last bumped by Anonymous on Fri Jul 14, 2023 7:11 am.