holiday cooking

A place for members to talk about things outside of Virgin Islands travel.
mbw1024

holiday cooking

Post by mbw1024 »

anyone in the mood yet?
I remember last year several of us made that cranberry vodka. not sure I'm making that this year but i'm going to try my hand at these!

http://www.onceuponachef.com/2009/10/ba ... ffles.html

and since there's a dog in the family now I might make these with my niece for her little hound!

http://simmertilldone.com/2009/10/07/re ... kin-eater/

anyone else planning yet?
jayseadee

Post by jayseadee »

Funny, I was thinking of starting the same thread when I get back.

I also made the Cranberry vodka last year, but haven't decided if it's a go or not this year.

I also made Maryanne's Pecans last year; those are definitely on the list again. Especially since I just found a half dozen small tins that I must have picked up at the Christmas Tree shop last year after the holidays.

Also in the nut family, I thought I might try these
http://www.marthastewart.com/recipe/ora ... ks#slide_8

I'll make my usual Pizzeles and Baklava; and may also try a lebanese Nammura cake.
janet
mbw1024

Post by mbw1024 »

well I don't have an imminent trip so I guess I jumped the gun :wink:
DELETED

Post by DELETED »

DELETED
mbw1024

Post by mbw1024 »

I totally missed that post. Sorry!
PA Girl

Post by PA Girl »

I did similar truffles last year at Christmas. They turned out FANTASTIC! Messy process but worth it.
Xislandgirl

Post by Xislandgirl »

I want to make a pear cranberry pie. I wanted top make it last year and never did, so I am making it this year for Thanksgiving.

I am always on the look out for creative cocktail party food, so if any of you come across a good one, please feel free to pass it along
California Girl

Post by California Girl »

Mary Beth, those truffles look great and I love that they're so easy to make! I posted a recipe for rum balls last year, but they're pretty tedious to make.

Hey, in that dog biscuit recipe, don't you just love the picture of the dog next to the dough being rolled out! I'm dyin' it' so cute! :lol:
mbw1024

Post by mbw1024 »

Xislandgirl wrote:I want to make a pear cranberry pie. I wanted top make it last year and never did, so I am making it this year for Thanksgiving.

I am always on the look out for creative cocktail party food, so if any of you come across a good one, please feel free to pass it along
these are cute - maybe find a red and green jam (hot pepper and jalapeno for example)

http://fortheloveofcooking-recipes.blogspot.com/
Maryanne

Post by Maryanne »

I just bought the second Blanchard's cookbook that people were raving about, and there are some cookies in the back made with chocolate chips and coconut---more a candy, really, that I thought I might add to my repertoire of tiny trees and gingerbread men.
djmom

Post by djmom »

mbw1024 wrote:
Xislandgirl wrote:I want to make a pear cranberry pie. I wanted top make it last year and never did, so I am making it this year for Thanksgiving.

these are cute - maybe find a red and green jam (hot pepper and jalapeno for example)

http://fortheloveofcooking-recipes.blogspot.com/
Those look great! You know what else is great on baked brie- the cranberry chutney you can make for Thanksgiving. The kind that is cooked. I will look for my recipe if anyone is interested. The deal with mine is there is some extra stuff in there and it has a little bit of spice. It would probably go great on it.
"Sponges grow in the ocean...I wonder how much deeper it would be if that didn't happen."
bevm

Post by bevm »

I make Peanut Butter Balls every year. I have people that expect them so I can't disappoint. Very easy..
1 box powdered sugar
1 small jar creamy peanut butter
1 stick butter
Mix well and chill. Roll in to one inch balls and dip in to melted chocolate ( I use milk chocolate melting wafers) Sprinkle with holiday sprinkles or jimmies.
Work in small batches with cold filling and it's easier to roll.
I also make a really good Peppermint Bark with dark chocolate bottom layer and white chocolate top that uses crushed candy canes...
And Spicy Pretzels..
jayseadee

Post by jayseadee »

I just tried to get the Baileys Truffle recipe, but the web page has been unavailable for the last day or so.

Does anyone have the recipe they can post?
janet
mbw1024

Post by mbw1024 »

I just made them this morning. Please hold :)

I heated liquid in small saucepan and then poured over chips in a bowl.

1/2 c heavy cream
1/4 c plus 1 tbsp baileys

heat over medium until small bubbles form around edge. do not boil.

pour liquid over chips (Ghiardellia Milk Choc 11.5 oz bag) and let sit one minute. Whisk until smooth. Cover and chill over night.

for dusting recipe says 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa and 1/4 confectioners.

use a small spoon to roll truffles. it should make about 50 small truffles.
Last edited by mbw1024 on Sat Dec 05, 2009 9:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
loria

Post by loria »

Does this sound Right?

Difficulty: 3 (1=easiest :: hardest=5)
Serves/Makes: 2 dozen

Ingredients:
12 ounces Semi-sweet chocolate morsels
1/4 cup Heavy cream
1 tablespoon Sweet Butter
2 Egg yolks
1/4 cup Baileys Irish Cream

Directions:

Melt chocolate, Baileys and heavy cream together over very low heat. Whisk in yolks, one at a time; mixture will thicken. Whisk in butter.

Refrigerate overnight, or until firm. With spoon make small balls. Roll in powdered sugar, cocoa, chopped nuts, sprinkles, etc.

This recipe from CDKitchen for Baileys Irish Cream Truffles serves/makes 2 dozen
< leaving on the 22nd of march...but too lame to figure out the ticker thing again!>