Rams Head Trail

Travel discussion for St. John
Captain Jack

Rams Head Trail

Post by Captain Jack »

Six days to go until we arrive. The excitement is building. Seen the doctor today and he said I could do some hiking while I was on the island. I was wondering what the Rams Head Trail was like to hike? Haven't done this and it was one of the things I wanted to do this time.
Can't wait to get back to the island.
CJ
loria

Post by loria »

what are your expectations? there are some fairly steep uphills--and it can get VERY hot--it's not long but without knowing what you are used to it's sort of impossible to give good advice!
< leaving on the 22nd of march...but too lame to figure out the ticker thing again!>
Lovermont

Post by Lovermont »

The thing about Ram Head, is you can always just turn around and go back. You can see your destination fairly well, so you'll be able to gauge whether you're up to it physically. It's really special to be at the end of the peninsula.

It is very exposed to the elements and can get very hot, so I recommend hiking it fairly early in the morning. You can lounge at Salt Pond on the return trip, and then grab lunch at the Tourist Trap.

Good luck!

Lovermont
cptnkirk

Post by cptnkirk »

If ya start and think it's to much do the Drunk Bay trail. Ya passed it when ya started Ramshead Trail. Super easy hike and very unique beach at the end.
madness

Post by madness »

Agree with all that it can be a hot hike. We always make a trip over to Drunk Bay like Captkirk says.

You pass blue cobblestone beach on the way and we thought the snorkeling there was excellent. Way to the right on that beach.

So - take your snorkeling gear, see how you feel at blue cobblestone, leave your gear and finish the hike or just hang at blue cobblestone and snorkel.

Whatever you do be sure to bring enough water and have fun.
Jumbiegirl

Post by Jumbiegirl »

My family always does Ram's Head to watch the sunrise. It's not hot then.
Trip #14 comes June 11, 2015!!
MrB

Post by MrB »

It's easy, mostly switchbacks, and not long. If my fluffy ass can do it at 1 pm, then anyone can.
Bun55

Post by Bun55 »

My favorite hike . . . it's great to stop along the way up or back to snorkel. The view from the top is beautiful and well worth the hike. It is not a very demanding hike, especially if you take breaks to take in the views. Don't miss it!!!
XOXO

Re: Rams Head Trail

Post by XOXO »

Captain Jack wrote:Six days to go until we arrive. The excitement is building. Seen the doctor today and he said I could do some hiking while I was on the island. I was wondering what the Rams Head Trail was like to hike? Haven't done this and it was one of the things I wanted to do this time.
Can't wait to get back to the island.
CJ
It wont be that hot in November, will it?

It is my favorite St. John hike also. We loved drunk bay. Stop and rest there--take your time and enjoy it!! Sometimes it is easy to rush too much so maybe the injury will help you really take it all in.

Enjoy Captain Jack!

Gg
DELETED

Post by DELETED »

DELETED
GidgetPicklebrain

Post by GidgetPicklebrain »

Instead of going early in the morning, we went late in the afternoon when it would be a full moon that night. We took along flasholights in addition to water and a picnic supper.

We were the only ones on the trail (other than the goats, that is), and the only ones at the end of the trail to view the sunset/moonrise combination while enjoying our picnic.

On the hike back, we really didn't need the flashlights until we were nearly back at Salt Pond, because the moonlight was so bright. Even when we did need the flashlights it wasn't pitch dark, it was an area of the trail that was "shaded" from the moonlight and was a bit more dim.

A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step. - Confucius