BVI Customs Question

Travel discussion for St. John
JohnnyB

BVI Customs Question

Post by JohnnyB »

OK, this might be a dumb question, but I notice that if you take a day sail on an excursion such as New Horizons to the BVI, the is a $20-$25 dollar charge per person for customs. If my wife and I simply take a ferry from STT to Virgin Gorda, is there still a charge to get through customs? Alright, don't laugh too hard, but I was wondering.
ATG

Post by ATG »

Yes, but for some reason it's only $5. I've wondered why this is, and asked once here, but got no explanation....could it be the BVI milking the tourist herds?
JohnnyB

Thanks!

Post by JohnnyB »

Thanks for the info. At least $10.00 for the two of us is better than $50.00. Ha Ha
Gypsy Doug

BVI custums

Post by Gypsy Doug »

When you go to The BVI with private boats they have to charge you seperate from the trip costs because they don't want to pay commissions on custom and immigration costs. Ferry boat companies include the fees in the price of the ticket and the five dollar fee is a BVI departure tax.
22 years sailing the caribbean from St. John and still the gypsy spirit fills me.
ScubaGirl

Post by ScubaGirl »

For boats that are registered in the USVI, they also charge for a cruising permit. When we go, depending on the lengh of time we are spending in the BVI's it usually costs us $85.00 to $100.00 for 4 days.
ATG

Post by ATG »

"Ferry boat companies include the fees in the price of the ticket and the five dollar fee is a BVI departure tax."

I know that the $5 is the BVI departure tax, but what are the other fees?