Pack up the food in NY or buy it in STT and ferry over

Travel discussion for St. John
LiamH

Pack up the food in NY or buy it in STT and ferry over

Post by LiamH »

Hello again,

With a few dozen NY Irish decending on STJ in June we were wondering how do we get provisions without busting the bank.

We already know our boat and bar tabs will be legendary, but the brothers who have settled down are looking to plan ahead with sippy drinks and dry goods galor fro the kiddies in the villas..

Any Advise?

- Liam
djmom

Post by djmom »

We always bring one box of "dry goods"- coffee, crackers, granola bars, rice mixes, pasta, laundry detergent, etc...

Then we bring a polar bear cooler with frozen meat and seafood. We buy that stuff on sale beforehand- the only trick is that you should be sure it is frozen solid (don't buy the day before). We have gone as far as bringing a larger cooler with casseroles in foil pans. The key is staying under the 50 pound (or whatever limit your airline has), as well as the size limit.

We are lucky as my husband is a priority member so his extra bags are free or reduced.

You might need to run some numbers to see if it is worth the money, but it probably will be, even with a charge for the box or cooler.

Sometimes we carry on the polar bear cooler.
"Sponges grow in the ocean...I wonder how much deeper it would be if that didn't happen."
P-600

Post by P-600 »

We pack a cooler with frozen meats which are still completely frozen flying nonstop from Boston. We also bring alot of dry goods and then we will buy eggs, milk etc. when we arrive. Oreos will run you about 8 dollars on island so try to pack as much as you can. Purchase your alcohol at the airport it's alot less expensive. Sounds like you are going to have a great time!

Julie
Live from St.John
Facebook Group
pipanale

Post by pipanale »

Hello, my name is Rob and I'm a cooler person. It's been 16 months since I brought a cooler to St John.

We pack all of our meat up and bring it. Since I have room, I also overload with way too much other crap. I buy produce and beverages on island.

Don't judge me...it's what we prefer.

So, were this my trip, I'd be handing everyone a grocery list up at home and sending them to the store to freeze up some vittles.
iowaguy

Post by iowaguy »

Liam---You mentioned sippy drinks and dry goods. First, understand that the liquor is very cheap in the Virgin Islands. I would plan to arrive at least a day before the rest of the crew and go to Pine Peace Market on STJ to stock up on liquor for the villa or villas. I would take "dry goods" with you in an extra suitcase. Meat is really the fighting issue between the "cooler people" and the "buy local" folks. I like to buy it on STJ for the convenience, but from NYC you have a direct flight so its not as big a deal to bring a cooler.
---Jim
DELETED

Post by DELETED »

DELETED
Bigcheeze

Post by Bigcheeze »

We have brought our own meat and we haven't. I don't think the savings is there with the cost and inconvenience of checking a bag for 25 bucks. We don't check bags for our family of 4 anymore and just do 4 carry ons...and we still bring too much
tipsy

Post by tipsy »

From another NYer & Irish person. We are bringing our meats,cheeses & lunch meats in a polar bear soft cooler as a carry-on.
Also mailing down non-perishables about 2 wks ahead via USPS to Connections. Whatever can fit in one or two of their flat rate boxes. There are many postings here about this w/all sorts of info on how to do it correctly.
Many people have done it so it works.

Then buy rest when get there.

Sounds like a regular Irish get together and know it will be lots of fun & good times.
No ticker anymore. Next vac will prob. be the Fl Keys.
pipanale

Post by pipanale »

SJfromNJ wrote:Bring the corned beef. Buy the potatoes, cabbage and liquor on island.

Try to keep the bare knuckles fighting to a minimum.
Remind me to use that one on my pal from NJ...she's from Belfast. She loves when I make broad stereotypes about both Ireland and the UK towards her.
RickG

Post by RickG »

With our big family groups, the most expensive grocery items have been pre-packaged foods for the kids - juice boxes, chicken nuggets, etc. These are a LOT cheaper at Plaza Extra or Cost U Less on St. Thomas. But, bringing coolers will guarantee that you get exactly the products picky eaters might want.

We've stopped bringing the cooler down for food, but we may start using it as luggage. We did not have a decent house cooler in November and I missed my Polar Bear cooler for the beach!

Cheers, RickG
S/V Echoes - Coral Bay - St. John, VI
LiamH

Pipers on STJ - Will we need a permit?

Post by LiamH »

Do you think I will need a permint if a half dozen or so Pipers play at my wedding and or the ensuing party after?
IE: Is it a parade if we walk a few blocks with a few dozen people and six or seven pipers and a drummer during Carnival season?

It is only a 50/50 shot, but some of the FDNY guys may show up if the bride asks my cousins over the holidays..

I know it sounds silly, but one resort told us No Pipers. (In a nice way of course)

- Liam
DELETED

Post by DELETED »

DELETED

Last bumped by Anonymous on Mon Dec 25, 2023 11:47 am.