Question for wishwewerethere

Travel discussion for St. John
HughA

Question for wishwewerethere

Post by HughA »

What did you do for your jellyfish sting?
Thank you.
Susan
Pia

Post by Pia »

Hi,

I'm not "wishwewerethere" but I always carry a bottle of white vinegar with me to all the beaches (it's in my beach bag) I transfer it to a plastic bottle out of the glass one so it is not so heavy and label it. If stung pour the vineagar over the sting - or you can do the other well known "remedy" (remember the Friends episode :D ) and if you are unsure what that is, just post and I'll be thinking of the "polite" way of phrasing it :wink:

Pia
HughA

Post by HughA »

Thanks Pia, but I thought I saw on a Mythbusters episode that neither vinegar nor urine actually worked. Am I wrong, have you had experience and if so what was the result? Did it stop the sting? How long do the welts remain. I've always been curious about this.
Thanks.
mia

Post by mia »

:lol: :lol: :lol:

It's the episode in which Monica gets stung by a jellyfish and Joey remembers seeing on the Discovery channel that peeing on the sting will take the pain away. :shock: Monica can't bend that way, so Chandler obliges her :oops:

I've read that peeing on a jellyfish sting to remove the pain is an urban myth and does not effect the pain. :?

Does anyone know from experience if it works or not? :wink:

Personally, I much prefer Pia's white vinegar remedy....mia
It takes both the sun and the rain to make a beautiful rainbow. --Unknown
Pia

Post by Pia »

I have never been stung - now there's tempting fate :) - but what urine or vinegar will do is stop the "stingers" that have not charged that are still on your skin from continuing to sting you (if that makes sense) Vinegar also works if you step on a sea urchin but soaking it is better but immediately rinsing it with vinegar helps (I counted 32 in 1 foot of my neice when she accidently stepped in a bunch while here for my wedding) until you can get home to soak it.

Pia
patr

Post by patr »

I am very confused by this whole jellyfish thing.

Our very first trip to the islands we went to a dive shop and purchased snorkel gear and asked for SeaSafe to guard against jelly stings and were told, "we don't have jellyfish here"

However, we did see Moon jellies but were told they do not sting. It is the Man-o-war to look out for, but in Florida not the VI's.

So, what's the real story with the jellyfish?
Patr

~~Longing to be back on St. John~~
Pia

Post by Pia »

Yes we have jellyfish here :( I was out in the boat this past weekend and saw huge ones out at Pelican Rock but no where else and it did surprise me as it is soooo early for them (when the water is the warmest in Aug/Sept is prime time)
Here is a good site for sun block (from 0 to 30+) that has a jelly fish protector in it :)

http://buysafesea.com/

Pia
DELETED

Post by DELETED »

DELETED

Last bumped by Anonymous on Tue Jul 11, 2023 11:39 pm.