snorkeling confession

A place for members to talk about things outside of Virgin Islands travel.
Pete (Mr. Marcia)

snorkeling confession

Post by Pete (Mr. Marcia) »

I don't really like it that much. Is there anyone out there who feels the same way?

Don't get me wrong, it's something that is cool to try a few times, but after that it's kind of like, well, too much work. Plus, it kind of creeps me out.

Every year we drag down our snorkel gear and we use it for about 10 minutes. We're thinking about leaving it at home this year and giving in to what we really like...hanging on the beach with no snorkel gear making us feel guilty for not using it.

Is that bad?
Wisconsin, smell the dairy air
greyhoundmom

Post by greyhoundmom »

It's not bad, just means you prefer to bob instead of snorkel. You've done it and it's not your favorite way to spend time in the drink. Or maybe in the drink means on the sand!
:)
sailorgirl

Post by sailorgirl »

My husband can stay in snorkeling all day, me not so much. We also move at very different paces, he lingers, I tend to like tro cover more ground.
So he tends to do his thing and I retreat to the beach for chillaxin
mbw1024

Post by mbw1024 »

I'm with ya there. We keep taking the stuff but it's really not for us. Charlie is way less interested in it than me even. It's not bad .. be who you be!
mindehankins

Post by mindehankins »

Helllllll no! Vacation is precious....spend it doing what makes you feel happy and peaceful.
dejavu

Post by dejavu »

I agree! Hubby can stay in all day but I prefer my book ,some shade, a little sun... then a dip or float to cool off. I bought him a canon underwater camera for Christmas so he can show me all the cool stuff he sees.
PA Girl

Post by PA Girl »

We are snorkellers but our STJ travelling friends are not.

The one husband can't stand the combination of the mouth piece and taste of saltwater. He also says he gets motion sickness from floating face down.

He wife will go out with me once or twice per trip. He says he isn't dragging their gear with them this year.

The other couple has zero interest in snorkelling. She isn't really a swimmer. He is perfectly content to sit on the beach and drink beer.

We have two newbies for the upcoming trip. She is psyched to snorkel so I suspect she will be my snorkel buddy for the trip.
JT

Re: snorkeling confession

Post by JT »

Pete (Mr. Marcia) wrote: Plus, it kind of creeps me out.
Mrs. JT feels the same way, Pete. She feels like she's an uninvited lurker in someone else's world and that she just doesn't belong there.
Me? I love it, but too often I'm by myself,and have had a couple of close calls. I think that my long solo snorkel days are over.
When you find yourself in a hole.... quit digging.
LysaC

Post by LysaC »

I can snorkel til my fingers prune but hubby can take it or leave it. he has a 'stache so he always has some sort of mask leaking problems.

he'll come with me if we are exploring a new place but otherwise, he beaches and reads and comes in the water to cool off once in a while.
liamsaunt

Post by liamsaunt »

It's not bad. You should do whatever makes you happy on your vacation. Lots of people don't like to snorkel. I remember one time John and I were in a group taxi back to the STT airport at the end of a trip, and one of the other groups was explaining how they never even went in the water at all...not even once! They just liked sitting on the beach and reading. Different things interest different people.

Plus, think of all the room you'll save in your luggage. :wink:
It's like looking in your soup and finding a whole different alphabet.
PA Girl

Post by PA Girl »

liamsaunt wrote:It's not bad. You should do whatever makes you happy on your vacation. Lots of people don't like to snorkel. I remember one time John and I were in a group taxi back to the STT airport at the end of a trip, and one of the other groups was explaining how they never even went in the water at all...not even once! They just liked sitting on the beach and reading. Different things interest different people.

Plus, think of all the room you'll save in your luggage. :wink:
One her first trip to STJ, my friend went in the water once during the entire week.
flip-flop

Post by flip-flop »

Pete - I am sort of kind of with you. I have the patience of say who's the opposite of Job (the one in the Bible). So if I get in the water and there is nada to see, I am pretty much bored and would like to go back to the beach to read thanks.

That said, if I see cool stuff I am sucked right in. Typically the most enjoyable snorkels I have had have been off boats, not off shore. The indians, around Christmas cove, random other places. I also ONLY snorkel with my husband. I know this sounds weird because I am pretty much fearless in life, but I am a panicky swimmer particularly in open water. He is extremely patient guy and is awesome at steering me toward cool things (so I don't get bored) and gently away from not so cool things (HELLO 6 FT NURSE SHARK that he didn't tell me about until we got back to shore) that he knows will result in Flipper walking on water back to sand!

It's odd, because I am a very good swimmer, I love being near and in the water, and a generally calm person. I blame my mama. I practically grew up running around a marina, and with good reason, she beat a healthy respect of the water into me.

Scuba is a REAL challenge for me, but I still want to try to get certified. I enjoy it FAR more than snorkeling. Its just a totally different experience. I hyperventilate most every time I put my face in the water, but once I get under and calm down I REALLY love it. Makes snorkeling seem lame in comparison because there is so much cool stuff you can get to that you can't when on the surface and it is far more relaxing (again once I relax) because its quieter and you are just floating. Its almost like what I'd expect being in space is like just with better things to see. For me it comes down the the breathing thing. I have great bouyancy control, I am fine with everything else, I just freak about the breathing.
nothintolose

Post by nothintolose »

I am the opposite - love to snorkel - hate to sit on the beach in the sand. We are on the beach long enough to set our stuff down and hit the water then when we are done we get our stuff and go.

If we are done snorkeling but ready to leave, we hang out in the water...something about hanging out on the beach in the sand doesn't appeal to me, but I could hang out in the water for hours.

Everyone has their own reasons for loving STJ though and that's all that matters...leave the gear behind this time though.
"Eat, drink, and be merry for tomorrow we die" - Dave Matthews Band
mahojim

Post by mahojim »

To each their own!
I love swimming, snorkeling, drinking beers on the beach,sex in the water,sex outside of the water, standing up to my nipples in that crystal-blue water chugging on a chilly drink...
Whoops! Did I say that out loud?!? :shock:
Smiles
MJ
California Girl

Post by California Girl »

I love, love, love snorkeling and can stay out in the water for hours! Rick, on the other hand, has tried to like it, but he just doesn't. I wish he DID like it, because I end up snorkeling alone (not good) and he stands on the beach and yells at me to come back in because I'm "out too far", or I don't have a buddy! Grrr!