Haiti

A place for members to talk about things outside of Virgin Islands travel.
Connie

Haiti

Post by Connie »

It's horrible isn't it?

Doctors without borders lost all 3 locations and who knows who has died doing their good deeds.

My mother has colon cancer and has had 2 operations by a doctor here in PA who is an amazing person. He was scheduled to go over there in 2 1/2 weeks.

I have made my donation...have you?
"Paradise...it's a state of mine"
byado18

Post by byado18 »

Absolutely! There are many ways to donate so everyone donate through the cause that touches your heart!

The devastation is massive and according to the news much of Haiti has not recovered from past hurricanes, floods, etc. so they need so much help!
California Girl

Post by California Girl »

For those interested in helping immediately, simply text "HAITI" to "90999" and a donation of $10 will be given automatically to the Red Cross to help with relief efforts, charged to your cell phone bill.

I did it and you even get a text back to verify that you want to donate. They also announced this on the evening news. It's not a scam and it's really easy. I urge you to call!
Terry

Post by Terry »

Connie,
I was just getting ready to begin a thread on Haiti when I saw yours.

It is horrible.

The U.S. press always seems to make me feel that the U.S. is the sole provider for relief for catastrophic events in other countries. But when I googled Hurricane Katrina and what countries donated or pledged items or money I was amazed. We had a tremendous amount of international help, even some we turned away. :cry:

I'm sending my donation tonight to the Red Cross for Haiti.

God Bless them!
XOXO

Post by XOXO »

I wanted to add to be careful about how and to who you make your donations. There are always scammers who take advantage of these types of situations.

I really believe that the best way to keep from being scammed is to donate directly to the red cross.

How can we donate materials (blankets, clothes, toothbrushes, etc.).

Gina
Lex

Post by Lex »

This is really a horror. It's time to share. Earlier tonight we donated to Oxfam and to Doctors Without Borders. Earlier in my life I worked in developing countries for a few years and was impressed by the grass roots-level effectiveness of those organizations. Both have been present in Haiti for many years.

http://www.oxfamamerica.org/

http://doctorswithoutborders.org/

Ted Kennedy often mentioned that his parents instilled a sense of responsibility in him and his siblings----"to whom much is given, much is expected." I don't usually think of myself as having a whole lot, but an event like this quickly puts things in perspective. I have so much and take so much for granted. It's time to help those in need.
Noreen

Post by Noreen »

Connie, yes I did - and it was to Doctors without Borders.
loria

Post by loria »

A friend of mine who is originally from Haiti and is now a doctor here in NY sent this to me as information on what organizations are working in Haiti --GHESKIO is a major HIV clinic that was destroyed

1. Save the Children:
a. www.savethechildren.org, or via mail
b. Save the Children Income Processing Department
54 Wilton Road
Wesport, CT 06880
2. UNICEF
a. www.unicefusa.org/haitiquake or
b. 800-4UNICEF 800-4UNICEF
3. Red Cross:
a. www.redcross/org
b. 800-RED-CROSS
c. Text to American Red Cross: “HAITI” at 90999 to donate $10.00, you will get a confirmation request, send back ‘yes’
4. Direct Relief International:
a. http://www.directrelief.org/ or
b. http://www.directrelief.org/EmergencyRe ... Haiti.aspx
5. Haitian Medical Association
a. www.amhe.org
b. AMHE inc./Haiti red cross/earthquake relief
1166 Eastern Parkway
Brooklyn, NY 11213
6. American Jewish World Service
a. www.ajws.org
7. Yele Haiti, an organization funded by Wyclef Jean
a. www.yele.org
b. Text
8. The main HIV clinic has been severely damaged. See below:
Dear Friends of GHESKIO:
We thank everyone for their concern about our Haiti WCMC - GHESKIO team after the earthquake yesterday. We will be posting news updates throughout the day on our web site at: http://weill.cornell.edu/globalhealth/
The GHESKIO and IMIS buildings suffered severe damage but no one was seriously injured at either site. GHESKIO is in the center of the most devastated area of Port au Prince. Many of you have asked how you can help. Weill-Cornell will serve as a conduit to direct funds to GHESKIO for emergency relief efforts. All funds will be transferred to GHESKIO under the leadership of Dr Jean Pape. See his message below.

Please make checks out to “WCMC-GHESKIO”; please send checks or drop them off at:
The Center for Global Health
Weill Cornell Medical College
440 East 69th Street
New York , NY 10065
< leaving on the 22nd of march...but too lame to figure out the ticker thing again!>
mindehankins

Post by mindehankins »

Yes. And it was enough that it'll hurt us some. I donated to CARE. It was at the top of the list CNN was compiling at the time. I hope it is put to good use.
Connie

Post by Connie »

I have a wierd feeling about the texting thing. I don't want Verizon getting my money before and established organization does.
"Paradise...it's a state of mine"
2beachbums

Post by 2beachbums »

A group from my church left about an hour or 2 before the earthquake hit they came home to the scenes of devisation. We are doing a "Love offering" to support the hospital, orphanages, and our friends down there.
alw1977

Post by alw1977 »

Thanks to everyone who has suggested ways to donate. My husband and I were looking for where to send a donation, and this is helpful. Since I am home on maternity leave, I have CNN on much of the day. This is just terrible - on par with the tsunami in southeast Asia.
mindehankins

Post by mindehankins »

Connie wrote:I have a wierd feeling about the texting thing. I don't want Verizon getting my money before and established organization does.
I thought it was wierd, too, but three hundred thousand Americans found it in their hearts to dial that number yesterday! I think that's pretty amazing. They figured out a quick, easy way to raise money fast... That's pretty cool!
soxfan22

Post by soxfan22 »

alw1977 wrote:Thanks to everyone who has suggested ways to donate. My husband and I were looking for where to send a donation, and this is helpful. Since I am home on maternity leave, I have CNN on much of the day. This is just terrible - on par with the tsunami in southeast Asia.
Well said, alw. I actually think this is worse than the Tsunami. These people live on average of about $1.00/day...This is the poorest nation in the Western Hemisphere...Their buildings were not constructed with any type of "code" in mind (evidenced by the fact that their roofs are actually made of cement)...

This is awful, and the fallout will be felt for decades, unfortunately.
July 2003 - Honeymoon at The Westin
July 2004 - Glenmar, Gifft Hill
July 2005 - Arco Iris, Fish Bay
December 2007 - Dreamcatcher, GCB
July 2008 - Ellison Villa, VGE
soxfan22

Post by soxfan22 »

And no pledged support at this time from the Cuban government. What a disgrace. The government, not the people.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2010/01 ... arthquake/
July 2003 - Honeymoon at The Westin
July 2004 - Glenmar, Gifft Hill
July 2005 - Arco Iris, Fish Bay
December 2007 - Dreamcatcher, GCB
July 2008 - Ellison Villa, VGE