Lizard's Landing

Travel discussion for St. John
Steve S

Lizard's Landing

Post by Steve S »

It's been over a year since Lizard's Landing took over at Duffy's. Any comments or observations?

I found this passage on the travel wiki site and wasn't sure how I should interpret it. - Lizard's Landing. Located downtown it's where all the locals party. You can most certainly score something upstairs. Ask the guy servin you food if they are serving any, or any of the friendly locals.
VaGirl

Post by VaGirl »

Steve, guess my answer is gonna sound too "generic"! I was there right after they changed ownership and the place was rockin! The bartender was lots of fun and the new owners came out and sat with us talking about all they wanted to do...he's the chef I think. Menu was changing and he let us try all kinds of stuff. As to "scoring something upstairs", I'm almost afraid to guess which way that suggestion could go...I was only downstairs!
waterguy

Post by waterguy »

lets just say you could smell what was going on up stairs The music has gotten pretty hard for my tastes but my 21 year old liked it
Andrea266

Post by Andrea266 »

I heard recently that they are no longer serving food. I know they lost the main chef not too long after they opened. It is definitely a locals party/hangout spot.
I know of two people who got scromboid poisoning from eating tuna there...I'm not saying this is a regular occurrence at Lizard's Landing, as it only happened the one time that I know of.
If you're asking whether to eat there or not (if they are even still serving), I'd say there are so many better places on St. John to get food. It might be a good spot to go and party for a little while, but I wouldn't stay too late...this place appears in the police blotter quite often, usually for fights and/or grand larcenies.
Hope this long-winded answer helps!
Teresa_Rae

Post by Teresa_Rae »

I've heard from many people that you should stay away from Lizard's Landing unless you're looking for trouble...
VaGirl

Post by VaGirl »

Hmmmmm, sounds like I was there BEFORE it got famous for the wrong things. Won't be on my list this trip. Thanks for the "heads up".
R&S from MI

Post by R&S from MI »

Just got back and still going through withdrawl at this point. But, the Lizard Landing looked a little rough and empty the couple times that we walked by on the way to and from Rumblines for dinner. Lizard is about 2 doors down same side of the street.

Rob
Rob & Sherri from MI
kirk

Post by kirk »

I just noticed it's for sale now. $425,000
PA Girl

Owner was tending bar

Post by PA Girl »

In Feb 2006, we were approached and openly offered drugs for sale at the bar. After a no thanks, the man walked away to the next group.

We stopped in for a beer last week around 8:30 pm. The owner was tending bar and the crowd was sparse, just a couple of 30 and 40 somethings talking about our travel adventures (bad weather, lost luggage, etc.) We stayed for one beer and left by 9ish.
Steve S

Post by Steve S »

Well, after our recent visit, I have to report that it's officially a shame. The Love Shack used to be on our "must stop" list (as recently as 2005). We still have our Love Shack pint glass, a parrot mug and a monkey head with a hole for your straw. It's current form (Lizards Landing) is just a place to walk by real fast...
Pia

Post by Pia »

I would probably advise most people, especially any ladies travelling together or alone, to stay away as I have heard that it can be less than "comfortable" for the want of a better word.

I was only in there one time and I doubt anyone here could guess what I saw going on in full view of everyone !!!!! - maybe this should be our "new" competition but it would need a XXX rating !!!

Pia