Apple tablet rumors

A place for members to talk about things outside of Virgin Islands travel.
flip-flop

Post by flip-flop »

Yeah, I still don't really get it and I LOVESSSSS me my iphone. I guess the e-reader part is pretty cool but I really love books that I can hold in my hand. The innovations there are real for those who love kindle-like reading (color, full illustrations, etc).

The thing I love most about my iphone is that it is all things in one device, perhaps not the best camera ever, but you can take pictures.

I used to have a cell phone, an ipod, a digital camera and a pda and no access to my personal or work email. Now, the the iphone I have allllll of that and more in one device. That appeals to me. If I walk out of the house with nothing but my keys and my iphone I am pretty set. Sure I still take my camera with me for "events" but just for snapping cool stuff on the run, the iphone does fine.

Also, though the touchpad for typing on the iphone doesn't bother me in small doses, I don't think the touchscreen typepad would thrill me even on a bigger screen. I still would want a REAL keyboard, i.e. my laptop or a netbook if I am carrying something that size around anyway.

But that's just me. I probably am still missing something. I am usually a little slow to warm to new stuff in general.
PA Girl

Post by PA Girl »

Like Flip said, I think the reader part is cool but I don't ever see myself giving up real books.

The guys in the office were besides themselves with excitement this morning. While they all said they would definately not get one when launched, I suspect they will.
DELETED

Post by DELETED »

DELETED
pipanale

Post by pipanale »

Can you hear me now?
mbw1024

Post by mbw1024 »

hahahahahahhahahahahahahaahahaaaa
Bug

Post by Bug »

I always liked having my books in my hand as well but since I started using my iphone with the e-reader app, I won't purchase another paper book.

Like Flip said earlier, when you have your iphone, you have everything you need in your pocket. Including your book!

The e-reader app lets you download any book you want for a cost less than the paperback. My favorite part is the "night vision" setting that turns off the backlight and makes the letters yellow. This allows me to read in bed without a light that keeps my hubby awake.

I actually looked into the Kindle's and Sony's for a bigger screen but neither of them have the "night vision" setting. So, no sales for them!

As for the iPad..I'm with you Pete...I can't wait to touch it!!!

XOXO
Bug
flip-flop

Post by flip-flop »

Also, heard on NPR, that the ereader on the ipad will bring a new kind of agreement with publishers. Instead of all books for $9.99 or some arbitrary set price, Apple will let publishers set the price and take a commission.

Interesting stuff. I'll go play with it in the apple store and reserve further judgement till then!
Pete (Mr. Marcia)

Post by Pete (Mr. Marcia) »

sherban wrote:
Pete (Mr. Marcia) wrote:Yes, you are missing something.
Pete- I gotta ask....do you own Apple stock or are you just addicted to istuff? No bitch from me either way, just wondering...
yes
Wisconsin, smell the dairy air
Anthony
Site Admin

Post by Anthony »

3 stocks to own for the next 20 years - AMZN, APPL, and GOOG -

Anyway - the iPad - it isn't supposed to be a phone, or a camera. It is for reading, watching, and listening - sort of like a mini-entertainment, game center, web in your hand. I paid $500 for the original iPod - so the intro price seems like a steal. Problem for me remains this - after the fans get theirs, does it have legs? I have a laptop, I need it (for the computing power, the software, etc.) - I need to work wherever I am - and there are a lot of people like me. Others can get by with their smart phones. This is a tweener product. Right off the bat, I would love one, just to surf the web on, watch movies, read books, etc. - especially when traveling. But I bought an iPod photo, and then and iPod with the video, and really never used them for such - they always got used for music.

It is definitely not supposed to be a phone, but with wireless and Skype it could be fun (with a headset) - and as far as video conferencing, a camera, or two cameras - well they aren't dumb - they are not going to throw all the bells and whistles into the first version. I think they sell a few million of them, listen to the feedback, and continue to improve it... unless it bombs of course!

And the reader part can't be overlooked - the anecdotal evidence from people who have Kindles is that they love them - I can't see this being any different.
Anthony for Virgin Islands On Line
PA Girl

Post by PA Girl »

Bug wrote:I always liked having my books in my hand as well but since I started using my iphone with the e-reader app, I won't purchase another paper book.

Like Flip said earlier, when you have your iphone, you have everything you need in your pocket. Including your book!

The e-reader app lets you download any book you want for a cost less than the paperback. My favorite part is the "night vision" setting that turns off the backlight and makes the letters yellow. This allows me to read in bed without a light that keeps my hubby awake.
I actually looked into the Kindle's and Sony's for a bigger screen but neither of them have the "night vision" setting. So, no sales for them!

As for the iPad..I'm with you Pete...I can't wait to touch it!!!

XOXO
Bug
That night feature might tempt me to buy it. Reading in bed in bed (by me) an on-going battle in our marriage.
DELETED

Post by DELETED »

DELETED
jmq

Post by jmq »

pipanale wrote:I love that some women's groups seem to be upset about the name iPad. Apparently, the word pad has been claimed by women and can't be used in any other context.

I'll note that going forward.
Well, they did consider tamPod, but decided to go with iPad instead.
When we come to place where the sea and the sky collide
Throw me over the edge and let my spirit glide
XOXO

Post by XOXO »

I want it!! Might get it---but I don't have an IPHONE---go to youtube and wasth apple ipad demo. It is so cool!

I have apple stock an it has literally doubled in little over a year. I love apple!

Gina
Pete (Mr. Marcia)

Post by Pete (Mr. Marcia) »

XOXO wrote:I want it!! Might get it---but I don't have an IPHONE---go to youtube and wasth apple ipad demo. It is so cool!

I have apple stock an it has literally doubled in little over a year. I love apple!

Gina
We bought the stock about 6 years ago just after I got my first iPod. I realized early on that they were going to use that little device to corner the market on music and movie distribution. They haven't disappointed.
Wisconsin, smell the dairy air
JT

Post by JT »

Hey, Pete! I made you a little bit richer today! My Dell crashed last week. I went out today and bought an iMac.The newest "desktops" from Apple are pretty cool Physically, they are pretty space-frugal, I plugged it in and it immediately recognized my router and established a connection. I decided against a laptop because a decked out laptop would cost $500 more then a much more decked out desk top. I figured get the desktop, save the $500 and get the iPad when it comes out for the difference, and the iPad would more then handle my portable needs at this point. I'm 2 hours into the Mac and I am mostly adjusting quite nicely from Windows. Microsoft? I do divorce thee!
When you find yourself in a hole.... quit digging.