Iowaguy's Trip Report ---February 10-18 (Part 1)

Travel discussion for St. John
jmq

Post by jmq »

Great report and photos so far...thanks for making the time and effort to share.
When we come to place where the sea and the sky collide
Throw me over the edge and let my spirit glide
Ron_L

Post by Ron_L »

Thanks for the input on the docks, Iowaguy and Betty. That's pretty much what I expected, but a lot of the gas docks and restaurants in the harbors around Lake Michigan keep someone on the dock if for no other reason than to protect other boats! I've been boating since I was just a we glad (OK... I've never really been a wee lad :roll:), so I'm OK getting into a dock without damage, but I don't know about the girls jumping out and holding us until I can tie off. they'll get used to it. :)
...ron

Time to start working on convincing the wife that we have to go back soon!
FlaGeorge

Post by FlaGeorge »

Great report – I like all the info on the BVI. It’s a place that I want to explore more.
FlaGeorge

"Swim Against The Current - Even a Dead Fish Can Go With The Flow"
jac w

Post by jac w »

Great report & pics, iowaguy. Now that sound like a great 50th birthday - I'm doing mine in STJ next year, maybe I'll steal some ideas. Love the cheese in the luggage story, it reminds me of our honeymoon on STJ. I threw the leftover little boxes of Godiva into my luggage -they opened- it didn't turn out as well as your cheese.
liamsaunt

Post by liamsaunt »

Great photos Iowaguy! I look forward to the rest of your report.
It's like looking in your soup and finding a whole different alphabet.
HicksIowa

Another Guy from Iowa

Post by HicksIowa »

I really enjoyed Part One of your recent trip to St. John and eagerly looking forward to Part Two. And we're also from Des Moines! We've been down to St. John three times and love it. We've always stayed at Gallow's Point and enjoy spending a lot of time on the north shore beaches snorkeling.
Our 25 year old son is taking his girlfriend down to camp at Cinnammon Bay for a couple nights next weekend. They're carrying their own tent. Ahhh, to be young again.
By any chance was that your car yesterday (3/10)at the McDonald's at 63rd and Grand? There was a car there that had a St. John bumper sticker on it like they sell on an ad for this forum. That would be some coincidence.
-the other Iowaguy who goes to St. John
DonnaC

Post by DonnaC »

Great report and full of ideas!! Last trip we rented a boat from Ocean Runner to go to Jost...after reading your report I think we'll give Peter Bay Resort a try as well..We stopped at Marina Cay once with New horizons and always wanted to go back..for somer eason never thought about going back on our own..great idea again!
flip-flop

Post by flip-flop »

Awesome report! Keep it coming.
Pat

Caneel Beach ??? for Iowaguy

Post by Pat »

Did you have to get a visitors pass before you went to Caneel Beach? We've only been to Honeymoon Beach and would like to try a different one. Do you walk through the resort to get to it? :?:
Bluwater

Post by Bluwater »

I read this entire 3 part report today. I'm enchanted by your report, Iowaguy. You ventured beyond the ordinary and took time to execute a well-planned caper. Your group seemed to be the picture of well deserved happiness.

When you lost your shoes and didn't realize it, I knew you'd done well.

I bet your budget appreciates that you wife doesn't eat:) And I bet she makes you spend the balance on diamonds and trips to exotic places. Good for her - a fair strategy!

Thank you for the idea about the overnight bareboat charter. Do you simply pay for 2 days, or more?

Another hot tub issue in your report. This is such a common issue. I think everyone should start to ask the agents about the hot tubs, specifically.

Would you return to this villa? If you already answered that, I am sorry to ask again. I don't recall.

Thanks again. Very enjoyable, indeed.
Bluwater
iowaguy

Post by iowaguy »

HicksIowa---Wasn't my car at 63rd and Grand in Des Moines---we don't have one of those StJ stickers. But we do live just a few blocks from there so thats quite a coincidence.

Thanks for the nice compliment, Bluwater. I've noticed your many good posts for some time now. I was interested in your report on CaliCaribe---that looks like a great villa. Would I return to Monte Bay? Well, I try to find a new villa each time, so probably not. But I would recommend it to someone who would like to be very near the water in a tastefully decorated villa. Its an older villa, though, and for the same price there are many new villas with fancier new amenities.
---Jim
b-as-u-r

Post by b-as-u-r »

Jim, Great trip report, sounds like a fabulous trip! Ditto to FlaGeorge's comment, "I like all the info on the BVI. It’s a place that I want to explore more." Looking foward to hearing more. Thanks for sharing. Ali~
STJ - I "get it"
Robin in NC

Great report

Post by Robin in NC »

I was right there with you, which is what I love about well-written reports like yours. And the photos--primo!