DELETED

A place for members to talk about things outside of Virgin Islands travel.
coralbaydigital

Post by coralbaydigital »

coralbaydigital wrote:
Now, as someone that ran a small service oriented business for many years, I'm going to give you some free, unasked for advice: Never get involved in public, heated, controversial arguments using your business' name.
I didn't know it was a "heated debate". I was just saying: They could have given the iPad more storage. But I guess to save space, they are using 'flash memory' - which is a lot more expensive than hard-disk storage, thus making it cost-prohibitive. Also, I'm probably just spoiled by the 500g in my laptop.
CBD, I don't see it at all as a "full fledged tablet computer," but more as a blend between a considerably more useful iPod and a Kindle. I'm with SJ from NJ wondering why you seem to think of it as a "full fledged tablet computer?"
Well JT (fighting the urge to address you as Mr. Natural... I'm a huge R. Crumb fan) - I had only ever seen the iPad billed as a "tablet". Most tablets boast between 120G and 320gb of storage. Had I known it was intended as a dedicated media-device, I probably wouldn't have leveled that criticism.

Other than that, the iPad seems pretty cool. If my iPhone is any indication (lest anyone think I'm a "Mac basher" or something), the iPad will probably make for a fine little eBook reader. So no, I definitely wasn't "dissing" anyone. In fact, my best client uses Macs exclusively. :)

As for my public commentary costing me business, I'm really not worried about it. For one thing, very little of my business comes from locals to begin with. For two: anyone reactionary enough to be that deeply offended by some free technical insight and a link to that YouTube video is someone that I don't want as a client. Those are the kinds of people who take any disagreement as a personal attack against them. They ask pointed technical questions and then argue when they don't get the answers that they wanted to hear. They are often more concerned with 'being right' (or at least having someone agree with them), than they are with unbiased accuracy and I avoid forming both business and personal relationships with such people like the plague.

Luckily, most people on this board seem far more sane than that. :)

That stated, I don't like seeing perfectly good computers get destroyed either (or guitars for that matter)... But somewhere between Pete Townsend, Jimi Hendrix and my own suppressed desires to throw the machine out the window from time to time... I got over it. I think we've all had those moments of frustration, but we don't act on them. Hence: the catharsis of watching some fool do it for us.

Personally, I think "the clown" in question should have given that iPad to some needy kid. But I guess Apple only sent him one, so he didn't really have enough to hand them out. That would have been one lucky kid to not only get a free iPad but to also have bragging-rights that it was given to `em by a famous comedian. Probably would've gotten beat-up for it too. Tosh made a tasteless joke to that effect on his show if I recall.
Now, that said, I find it amusing thats so many people that have never had one of these devices in hand have such strong opinions on it, one way, or the other. I can, however see how someone with a lot of Mac experience, especially newer stuff [iPhones,iPods, iTunes,etc], would be able to see more of the benefits than someone that hasn't had that experience.
I agree. It's really strange to me how so seemingly an innocuous topic could become so heavily politicized as the whole 'Mac vs. PC' debate. And it's funny how impartial-neutrality is almost as offensive to the zealots on both sides of the argument as it is to disagree with either of them. Of course, this goes back to the earlier thing about people who need to be right all the time.

You just can't win.

Speaking of which, it'll be interesting to see who manages to get offended by this one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t-L-0s-7-Z0&feature=fvsr

It's nice to know that Mac had the decency to wear a rubber glove. Safety first!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

And in case anyone's wondering, the Linux character probably best represents my attitude on the whole topic. As annoying as he is... He's really just there to help and provide info.