DELETED

A place for members to talk about things outside of Virgin Islands travel.
DELETED

Post by DELETED »

DELETED
Pete (Mr. Marcia)

Post by Pete (Mr. Marcia) »

SJ/NJ...curious, did you decide on the wi-fi only model just because it was available for pick-up before your trip? Also curious what tipped the scales to make you decide to buy the thing.
Wisconsin, smell the dairy air
DELETED

Post by DELETED »

DELETED
coralbaydigital

Storage Space

Post by coralbaydigital »

how much space do books take up?
Depending on the length of the book and how it's encoded, eBooks typically take-up between 3-6 Mb (Megabytes) - roughly the same as an mp3 song-file.

A Kilobyte (Kb) = 1024 Bytes
A Megabyte (Mb) = 1024 Kilobytes
A Gigabyte (Gb) = 1024 Megabytes
A Terabyte (Tb) = 1024 Gigabytes

Therefore:

64 Gb = About 18,000 eBooks / Songs
32 Gb = About 9,000 eBooks / Songs
16 Gb = About 4,500 eBooks / Songs

IMHO, 64Gb of storage is pretty paltry for a full-fledged tablet computer.

I really liked Daniel Tosh's take on the iPad:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m8w9buktnVE
JT

Re: Storage Space

Post by JT »

coralbaydigital wrote:
Depending on the length of the book and how it's encoded, eBooks typically take-up between 3-6 Mb (Megabytes) - roughly the same as an mp3 song-file.

Therefore:

CBD,I just watched your you-tube link. I take it that you don't have a very positive outlook regarding the iPad, or Mac for that matter.. I'm probably going to buy an iPad, but am undecided about wi-fi only or the 3G combo. I think I'll wait and see the feed back to the wi-fi only version. My PC crashed a couple of months ago and rather then fix it again I bought my 1st Apple, an iMac desktop and I'm sold on Apple and will never go back to a PC. When I bought the new iMac I was undecided about getting a desktop vs. a notebook. For $500 less I got a lot more computer with the desktop then I would have with the notebook. I don't really "need" the portability of a notebook, but can see where it would be convenient, not to mention entertaining. Anyway, when I bought the iMac I was prepared to pay for the notebook, but decided that for the money I was going to spend on the notebook I could get the better equipped iMac and the iPad for the same price.
Pete, I'm a little confused about how often you need the 3G vs. the wi-fi only. I don't really care too much about the GPS feature and hate the idea of giving AT&T a monthly fee. Apple is saying that you'll be able to do this 3G thing with no contract and cut it when you don't need it and re-up on it when you need it. I'm curious to see how easy the on again/off again feature is going to be. My initial feeling is to get the 32gig with the 3g, but I'm going to wait and see.
When you find yourself in a hole.... quit digging.
DELETED

Post by DELETED »

DELETED
Last edited by DELETED on Sun Mar 14, 2010 8:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pete (Mr. Marcia)

coralbaydigital wrote:

Therefore:

Thanks for that. Note to self...don't use Coral Bay Digital.
Marcia (Mrs. Pete)

Post by Marcia (Mrs. Pete) »

[/quote]Pete, I'm a little confused about how often you need the 3G vs. the wi-fi only. I don't really care too much about the GPS feature and hate the idea of giving AT&T a monthly fee. Apple is saying that you'll be able to do this 3G thing with no contract and cut it when you don't need it and re-up on it when you need it. I'm curious to see how easy the on again/off again feature is going to be. My initial feeling is to get the 32gig with the 3g, but I'm going to wait and see. [/b][/quote]

Hi, not Pete but, Pete's wife. The 3G is very handy in situations where there is no "hot spot." And, it can be purchased on a month by month basis. So, as an example, if I am going to FLA to visit my parents in the retirement community (which is not "hot"), I can pay for the 3G for that month and be wired up.

Hope this helps. Pete can respond to the rest.
Marcia (Mrs. Pete)

Missing St. John. As always.
coralbaydigital

iPad Replied

Post by coralbaydigital »

CBD,I just watched your you-tube link. I take it that you don't have a very positive outlook regarding the iPad, or Mac for that matter.
Actually, I don't really have an opinion on them.
I just thought it was a funny video.

Actually, I use Macs, PCs and Linux machines interchangeably. They all have strengths and they all have weaknesses. And since all three have difficulty interacting-with one another and with transferring certain file-types between one another, I have to be fairly fluent with them all in my line of work.
Interesting that you woud see the iPad as a full-fledged tablet cumputer.
Well, isn't it?
Please clarify.
Thanks for that. Note to self...don't use Coral Bay Digital.
Note to self:
Ignore nasty, unwarranted comments from other posters.
JT

Post by JT »

Thanks for the reply, Marcia. I'm a little fuzzy as to if, most of my time, by far, is spent in the metro DC area, will I need the 3G add-on. I'd probably get it because you can't add it on later. I also wonder how long before they have it with 4G.

CBD, I don't see it at all as a "full fledged tablet computer," but more as a blend between a considerably more useful iPod and a Kindle. I'm with SJ from NJ wondering why you seem to think of it as a "full fledged tablet computer?" Though I saw the humor in your link,to me, it came across as you dissing us for getting iPads. Look, I'm not some geek wannabe, or someone that thinks I'd be cool to have the latest tech gadget. Hell, I seem to be the last guy on the continent without a cell phone, as I don't need, nor want one. Neither does Mrs.JT. But the iPad has a lot of attractions for me, for more reasons then I'm going to go into here. Suffice it to say that though I don't make a lot of dough, I am very analytical by nature, and consider this gizmo to be something that may add to my quality of life. Now, that said, I find it amusing thats so many people that have never had one of these devices in hand have such strong opinions on it, one way, or the other. I can, however see how someone with a lot of Mac experience, especially newer stuff [iPhones,iPods, iTunes,etc], would be able to see more of the benefits than someone that hasn't had that experience.
Now, as someone that ran a small service oriented business for many years, I'm going to give you some free, unasked for advice: Never get involved in public, heated, controversial arguments using your business' name. Usually you will come across in a negative way to at least half of the people following the banter. It usually has the effect of costing you business, i.e. money, in the long run.
Pete (Mr. Marcia)

"I don't know who they think they are, smashing a perfectly good guitar."
Marcia (Mrs. Pete)

Post by Marcia (Mrs. Pete) »

JT, you are welcome.

As for how often you may or may not use the 3G component of it, I just don't know. I find myself in situations fairly frequently, using the 3G on my iphone...(when there isn't wireless available).

Let me tell you, I am NOT a computer "geek." In fact, I know very little about computers, which makes the Apple products so user friendly for me.

We had PC's at home until about three/four years ago. They were nightmares. Having to keep up with anti-virus stuff was just short of impossible. Now, we don't worry about that. The transition was seamless, too.
Marcia (Mrs. Pete)

Missing St. John. As always.
DELETED

Re: iPad Replied

Post by DELETED »

DELETED
JT

Post by JT »

Pete (Mr. Marcia) wrote:"I don't know who they think they are, smashing a perfectly good guitar."
I'm running a little slow tonight. It took me about three minutes to associate the reference to Mr. Hiatt's song and the clown smashing the iPad. Very clever, Watson!
Pete (Mr. Marcia)

I'm just sayin....