Reconsider moped rentals

Travel discussion for St. John
liamsaunt

Reconsider moped rentals

Post by liamsaunt »

This morning John and I rounded the corner of North Shore Road coming out of town and happened upon what looked like a bad moped accident. The moped had wiped out about halfway up the first hill. The rider was in the middle of the road and not moving. Other people were already on the scene and we could hear a siren coming, so we turned around. I have had that person on my mind all day, wondering if they are OK.

In my personal opinion, St. John roads are just not appropriate for mopeds. Maybe if you lived here, but not for a tourist. Please, think twice before renting a moped here. Pay the extra for a car, or take a taxi.
It's like looking in your soup and finding a whole different alphabet.
wontongirl

Post by wontongirl »

Becky,
I saw the exact same same about 3 years ago at the same place and a girlbwas laying in the round. Tragic. Sometimes I'm not sure cars are safe so definitely NO to mopeds!
Pia

Post by Pia »

What a horrible accident to come across.

I think I have witnessed 3 or 4 "wipe outs" and many more abandoned mopeds on the side of the road during my time here. The sad thing is they cost almost the same as a jeep to rent per day (within $10 or so the last time I checked) so I agree 100% - don't do it.

I hope all is well with the rider.

Pia
Realtor - St John Properties
wontongirl

Post by wontongirl »

Becky,
I saw the exact same same about 3 years ago at the same place and a girlbwas laying in the round. Tragic. Sometimes I'm not sure cars are safe so definitely NO to mopeds!
wontongirl

Post by wontongirl »

Becky,
John LMBZ06

Post by John LMBZ06 »

I agree. These roads are just not right for mopeds or motorcycles. There are several problems including: most mopeds do not have enought power to climb these big hills and some of the roads are wet from run off and they are hard to see since the roads wind around corners so tight. I am a motorcycle rider, but would not ride one on St. John. I did it on St. Barts and some other islands, but not St. John.
mbw1024

Post by mbw1024 »

oh my, that's awful. when I read the subject line I first thought you were say YOU reconsidered mopeds and I got a sick feeling something went wrong. Not that I wish it on anyone. I hope that person is ok. Scary.
Connie

Post by Connie »

That's horrible.

There's quite a few threads about people asking where they can rent mopeds on STJ and STT.

Never, ever rent one on the Islands.

I have a 50cc, basically a moped. We drive it around here and we wear a helmet, BUT, our roads around here are flat and most are back roads.

It it just way too dangers. Usually, these people who get into accidents have never even driven a moped before.

I hope they're ok!
"Paradise...it's a state of mine"
Teresa_Rae

Post by Teresa_Rae »

I can't even believe there is a market for mopeds on STJ. I didn't start seeing them until the last couple years and it makes me wonder if the people who rent them are newbies and unaware of what they're getting into on STJ roads.
Let us live so that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.
- Mark Twain
Terry

Post by Terry »

Mopeds in general are dangerous to those that haven't riden them before. Most accidents are due to folks putting their feet out to stop the moped and getting their feet caught and tumbling. It's like they think they are on a bicycle or something.

A fellow travel agent had a a bad spill with one on Cozumel and had several stitches. The medics were almost 18 years old. The moped rental agency charged her for the helmet that was left at the site. She was also charged the extra seat on the plane for having to keep her leg elevated. :(

I can't even imagine riding one on STJ. That's crazy.
StJohnRuth

Post by StJohnRuth »

Most of the car rental agencies won't rent to people under 25.
The scooter rental agencies have no such restrictions, so it's mostly young adults who are out there on these things. They keep the St. John Rescue EMT's much too busy.

- Ruth
PA Girl

Post by PA Girl »

We used to frequent Block Island and the moped accidents got to be so bad and so frequent, the town was looking at ways to get rid of them.

Too much booze + too little experience = too much potential for trouble.
jmass10

Sccoter

Post by jmass10 »

I know you probably have got the point by now but I wanted to share a funny moment with you about scooters on St. John. I was watching a movie the other day with Ben Affleck "Forces of Nature" and at the end when they escape to their honeymoon it cuts to the couple riding a scooter and they pass by the scenic turnout over looking Trunk Bay. I'm not kidding you it was Trunk and they were on a scooter on their honeymoon. The moral of the story is that only Hollywood doing a movie scene with the roads shutdown and the scooter being fixed to a movie sled dragged behind a truck is the only way you get on a scooter on St. John. If you have a broken leg after the inevitable crash you will have to secure a medical flight out of the Virgin Islands because commercial flights will not fly broken femur's.

In my seven years of visiting the island I have seen several really bad car accidents. All have been on the north shore going out to the beaches or on centerline drive heading to Coral Bay. Like my dad always said "it doesn't matter who's fault it is you always loose when your motorbike has a crash with a car". He also said "Nothing good goes on after midnight" he may be right about that one as well.