1st time to St. John in 2 weeks ,in car wreck and broke arm

Travel discussion for St. John
poolmom

1st time to St. John in 2 weeks ,in car wreck and broke arm

Post by poolmom »

Well as you can see by the title,I'm in a little bit of a spot.I have had this trip planned and paid for since Dec. I have been on these forums getting all this great info. for months now.My sole purpose was to come to St.John to be a beach bum and to snorkel.I even splurged and bought us our own snorkel gear. I was in a car accident on Monday and broke my arm and now I've got a big purple cast.(going to look great with my tan)haha.The girl ran a stop sign in front of me.Totaled my car.I am quite lucky though. My boyfriend does not want to postpone our trip and I don't blame him we've been looking forward to this trip for a while now.He's also not the one in a lovely cast.I really wanted to rent a dinghy and explore alot of different beaches.I do realize that is out now (bummer).I would still like to take a daytrip somewhere.If you see a woman with a cast on,please stop and and say hi.We will toast to beautiful St.John. I am a hairdresser and am going to be out of work for 6 weeks,so I guess being in St. John is better than being at home for sure.We get there on Sunday the 16th in the late afternoon.Maybe in time to see some of you at the Beachbar.See you soon. (sorry so long)
loria

Post by loria »

Can you get your doc to put you in a plastic (NOT fiberglass) cast? something that won't matter if it gets wet? I know that they have these removable casts (that may or may not be waterproof--but you should at least check!) --
you might be able to at least float around... that stinks, but glad you are otherwise ok----
< leaving on the 22nd of march...but too lame to figure out the ticker thing again!>
PA Girl

Post by PA Girl »

loria wrote:Can you get your doc to put you in a plastic (NOT fiberglass) cast? something that won't matter if it gets wet? I know that they have these removable casts (that may or may not be waterproof--but you should at least check!) --
you might be able to at least float around... that stinks, but glad you are otherwise ok----
I was going to suggest the same thing.

Also, years ago my husband had surgery on his arm and could not get it wet. I would wrap his arm in a heavy duty trash bag and duct tape it tight so he could get a shower everyday. It never leaked but be prepared to lose a couple of layers of skin and of course, all your arm hairs. Not ideal but maybe it would work for floating?
poolmom

Post by poolmom »

I did ask for a waterproof cast and my doctor didn't think it would work for the kind of break that I have.Just my luck I guess.I have to go back 3 days before my trip and I am going to ask again.Don't think it will matter but worth a try.Thanks for your replys
Margy Z

Post by Margy Z »

I'm so sorry - I hope the pain gets better fast. I know someone who used one of these for her walking coast for a broken ankle while on a cruise and said it worked very well in the water. The price was pretty reasonable, too.

http://www.allegromedical.com/personal- ... DAod0TADBg

Good luck and enjoy St. John!

- Margy
mbw1024

Post by mbw1024 »

oh my gosh I'm sorry! you can't even go in the water? that's stinks ... but you have your life. thank goodness! hope you are able to enjoy yourself!
loria

Post by loria »

poolmom wrote:I did ask for a waterproof cast and my doctor didn't think it would work for the kind of break that I have.Just my luck I guess.I have to go back 3 days before my trip and I am going to ask again.Don't think it will matter but worth a try.Thanks for your replys
make sure they do an update xray (i am SURE they will) if you heal well, then maybe they will change their mind--in the meantime--DRINK MILK and eat calcium! can't hurt, might help!!!
< leaving on the 22nd of march...but too lame to figure out the ticker thing again!>
mindehankins

Post by mindehankins »

So glad you made it out of the accident without more severe injuries. Which arm is it? Your drinkin arm???
I'd ask again, about a waterproof cast, and if he says it won't work, I'd ask what should I do if I accidentally get this cast really wet. Tell him you intend to wrap heavy duty trash bags around it and seal with duct tape,and what should you do if it gets really wet. Can you go a day or two,before going over to the medical clinc to be re-cast? Ask your doc to send the films of your fracture with you, so you can take them to the St John clinic, so you don't have to have it re-xrayed.
Not getting in the water wouldn't be a viable option for me. But I'd want a plan a, plan b, plan c, etc.
Sorry your starting out you bid trip with worries!
Last edited by mindehankins on Fri Apr 30, 2010 9:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
CapeCod Sunshine

Post by CapeCod Sunshine »

I am fairly sure that if you can get to a medical supply store they sell these waterproof sleeves for arm and leg casts (used for people to be able to shower?) These might work for you-I would ask around...good luck and have fun..(not hard to do on STJ)
jimg20

Post by jimg20 »

What you need is a Seal Tight shower sleeve. It will not allow you to dive or snorkle, but you can get near the water without a good deal of fear. If the doc will not give you another cast, insist that they help you get this.

We'll see you on the 21st.

JIM
Man it's like some dream we live down here....

poolmom

Post by poolmom »

Thanks for everyones suggestions.No it is not my drinking hand thank goodness.I have one of those shower sleaves,but they don't suggest for swimming.I have checked on one of those waterproof suction devices but I don't know exactly what size cast I will have on by then.Right now it is halfway up to my sholder.I hope he will shorten it when I go back.He didn't act like that would happen though.But I can hope.I will have a plan B and C. jimg20 maybe we all can have drink together on 22nd we leave on 23rd.Thanks all
samoka

Post by samoka »

If your boyfriend is willing to do all the work you should be able to go on a dinghy without getting it wet - it would get you on the water - maybe a trip to BVI would work - good luck.
stjohnjulie

Post by stjohnjulie »

Wow! Sorry to hear about your accident! I hope you heal quickly. I too had a cast like yours when I was in my teens. I had to have it on much longer than 6 weeks (bone graft was needed) and it was my drinking arm! I had to learn to do a lot of things differently. I got my cast wet, I mean soaking wet, a lot of times, even though that is NOT advisable. I say wrap your arm in plastic, tape it off, then load your arm up with water wings and give it a shot. Also ask your doc for a waterproof lining in the cast. That is the part that is most at risk if it gets wet. If it can't dry, mold and bacteria can grow under the cast if it gets wet (which is really gross and can cause an infection).

I'm sure you've already looked around, but here is a link for DryCast with measuring instructions. http://www.medcareproducts.com/castcove ... number=DSA
djmom

Post by djmom »

Agree with Samoka that a dinghy is still doable. Of course the snorkling is out, but there are some beaches I think you could do. Maybe some people who know more about this could help list them.

I am thinking Francis, Maho??? I think you can get pretty close to shore on those beaches. I would really like someone to confirm that though.

I would be quite happy just riding around in one too.
"Sponges grow in the ocean...I wonder how much deeper it would be if that didn't happen."
lprof

Post by lprof »

Poolmom... sorry about the accident and injury... wishing you a quick, complete recovery and a wonderful time on STJ.
... no longer a stranger to paradise