All you light packers- How do you do it? Snorkel gear?

Travel discussion for St. John
SoCaTraveler

Post by SoCaTraveler »

Hi everyone - our family of 4 went to Europe last summer for 25 days. We each carried a roll-on carry-on and a personal item (beach type tote for me, garmet bag that folded in half for hubby, and backpacks for the kids). We had no checked luggage whatsoever!

The key: We used ziploc bags (1 and 1.5 gallon, if I recall correctly). I rolled everyone's clothing tightly and placed them in the bags and zipped them while squeezing the air out. Since the items were rolled and packed neatly, there were very few wrinkles.

We were very careful with what we packed so that everything would mix and match. We laundered clothing about 3 times, and used woolite to rinse things out in the sink at night in between.

So after packing for Europe, packing for the Caribbean this summer should be a breeze. We will most likely check one item, however... our dive / snorkel gear. But everything will be in carry-ons.

Carole
Rob7

Post by Rob7 »

I have traveled all over the world and almost never check luggage. The key is being very careful to pack only those things you REALLY need (remember there are things called stores and laundries when you get to your destination)if you forget something.

Going to STJ is a breeze. The only long pants is the one you ware on the plane, same for a nice shirt/sweater and underware, (everyone goes commando in STJ...right :D ) A couple pairs of shorts, swim trunks t's and golf shirts, along with personal items and you are good to go. Plenty of room for camera, computer, snorkel gear...and yes that is with a legal carry-on
susan & herb

Post by susan & herb »

We have always done carry on, because my husband hates waiting for luggage. Not STT, but when we get back to JFK and have to wait at the carousel with hundreds of other people.
This year because of the restrictions, we will check out bags. What I have started doing is when we get back from our trip, I write down what I didn't need to take. This way, when we head back, I can look at the list and subtract what I brought home without wearing. To me what I like about SJ is it is so casual. You really don't need a lots of clothes. I always wind up living in a bathing suit and parero for most of the day and at nite, dinner is usually casual and you sure can wear the same outfit more than once. We had a washer and dryer at the villa so I was able to wear some things a few times. Must add, I am kinda high maintenance, but SJ is my "oh who cares vacation" and I just relax and enjoy.
flip-flop

Post by flip-flop »

There is no way in hell I could do it in just carry-on. Hello, my name is flip-flop and I am a chronic overpacker. Hey, I'd rather have it and not need it then need it and not have it. Yes, there are stores but I am just crazy that way. Now that we take kids its even more IMPOSSIBLE! Thank goodness we waited till 1 was out of diapers to have the 2nd. So we pack diapers in a bag and then the space that is emptied as they are used is for things we buy while there - Souviners and what not.

Hubby takes a dive bag and a suitcase (which is 1/2 filled w/ my stuff). I take the huge LL Bean rolling duffle (which my friend Gromit refers to as the body bag). Then we always have one more full of diapers, foodstuffs, beach stuff, etc.

Yes, I know I have a problem. The one trip I took that I did not do anything but carry-on (to Savannah) was on such a small plane that I had to gate check the bag. Guess what? They NEVER loaded the gate checked bags ... NONE OF THEM. So I was SCREWED. I like to cover all my bases. 1 carryon and some checked baggage. I know they are the airlines but the chance they will screw up both is slim.
MrsCARolph

Post by MrsCARolph »

The only packing tip I have is to wear your heaviest or bulkiest outfit and shoes on the plane, so you have more room in your suitcase. Sometimes I'll even dress in layers so I can cram more into the carry on bag. (I'm a carry on only gal)

To reduce the chance of losing checked luggage, you should book a direct flight, or if layovers are the only option, make sure all of your flights are on the same airline. I work for an airline, and in my experience I'd say that if you're flying on three of four conecting flights with two or more airlines (like the flights you can find on orbitz, expedia) you're probably going to lose the luggage you check. Not always, but very often. Most of the time the airline will arrange to deliver it to your hotel in the next few days, but still, it's a pain.

And if your luggage is lost, remember that the poor girl stuck behind the lost luggage claim counter DID NOT LOSE IT! She's there to HELP! (That girl could be me...!)

Just my two cents. :)
Ron_L

Post by Ron_L »

Good tips, MrsCARolph.

I'm a little bit different than most of you. Unless it's an in and out or single night trip, I have to use my rolling garment bag (big clothes = big bag :roll:) so I check my bag on most flights. The ONLY time it has gone missing is when I have to change airlines (which i try to avoid whenever possible). The only exception is when I fly to Norway. I can't get to Oslo from Chicago without changing airlines. On every trip to Norway my bags have made it there fine, but have been mishandled on the way home! If they have to get lost, I guess that;s the best time!

For STJ we're planning on one checked bag and one smaller carry-on per person. We're also packing an empty duffle bag for souvenirs.
...ron

Time to start working on convincing the wife that we have to go back soon!
Xislandgirl

Post by Xislandgirl »

I check one bag and have one carry on. We cross pack in case we lose a bag, that way we will both have something to wear.

When I go on vacation the last thing I want to see if a washing machine. I know that I can throw a load in while sitting by the pool but I had doing laundry and it is one of the things that I am getting away from.
I know that I can buy new things, and I usually do but I don't want to have to buy something.

I always overpack. No matter where we go. I have as long as I can remember. I am a planner and I like to be prepared no matter what. I also like to work out on vacation and there is no way that I can wear my work out clothes more than once.

We had a bag go missing on our honeymoon (who needs clothes any way? :wink: ) but we got it the next day. Not a big deal, we both had a change of clothes in our carry on. I just hope for the best.

Signed,
The woman that most people laugh at in the airport.
RickG

Post by RickG »

We manage to just use a knapsack each and a shared snorkel bag per 2 people. All carry-on until the TSA liquid ban. The long, but very compact, packing list is in the archives here and at http://www.garvin.us/STJ/New_Visitors_G ... Guide.html .

Cheers, RickG
Last edited by RickG on Sat Mar 10, 2007 8:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
S/V Echoes - Coral Bay - St. John, VI
flip-flop

Post by flip-flop »

Great list, though I had to drop the last . to get to it. Got an error when I clicked on your link.

Where is the application to be a friend o' RickG?
Last edited by flip-flop on Sun Mar 11, 2007 6:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RickG

Post by RickG »

flip-flop wrote:Great list, though I had to drop the last . to get to it. Got an error when I clicked on you link.

Where is the application to be a friend o' RickG?
You're there cupcake. We like the little ones too. Hopefully we'll hit the island at the same time sometime.

Cheers, RickG
S/V Echoes - Coral Bay - St. John, VI
cat

Post by cat »

Great list! I am going to try really hard to stick to it but I will have to add a neat sheet and a tripod for my camera. I guess I will have to leave out the flat iron and the hairdryer! :lol: 8) :wink:
flip-flop

Post by flip-flop »

Thanks, RickG. Cupcake ... I don't think I've ever been called cupcake. I kind of like it :)

As for the kiddos, they sure make it a little more complicated, but I wouldn't want it any other way!

I hope you are enjoying this GORGEOUS weekend in VA. I can't believe it was SNOWING what 3 days ago!
obsessedmuch

Post by obsessedmuch »

MrsCARolph wrote:
To reduce the chance of losing checked luggage, you should book a direct flight, or if layovers are the only option, make sure all of your flights are on the same airline. I work for an airline, and in my experience I'd say that if you're flying on three of four conecting flights with two or more airlines (like the flights you can find on orbitz, expedia) you're probably going to lose the luggage you check. Not always, but very often.

And if your luggage is lost, remember that the poor girl stuck behind the lost luggage claim counter DID NOT LOSE IT! She's there to HELP! (That girl could be me...!)

Just my two cents. :)
Great, that defnitely describes me! Not many ways to get a good deal on a flight from out West here (Colorado) to STT other than to use Orbitz, Expedia, etc. So I not only have connecting flights but also switching airlines- which probably means I'm going to freak out about my luggage.
waterguy

Post by waterguy »

Just remember pack a swimming suit in you carryon and relax your on island time
obsessedmuch

Post by obsessedmuch »

True. I've never had a problem before, I don't really know what's worrying me this time. I just need to stop reading those lost luggage stories and start drinking at the airport!