Help us with our 35th Anniversay

Travel discussion for St. John
Connie

Help us with our 35th Anniversay

Post by Connie »

Next June 5, 2011 will be our 35th Anniversary.

We usually stay on STT, travel over to STJ and take boat trips to the BVI's.

We really love it and can't make that leap yet to another Island.

Trying to start the planning. Here's what we have to have.

Snorkeling, great beaches, being able to drive wherever we want, when we want. Gorgeous views.

We've found that already and we're worried that we will pick somplace else and be disappointed.

We've been to Grand Cayman (no Island views). We've been to Acapulco (no thank you). The Keys (fun and beautiful, but again, no Island views). Bermuda (safe, but expensive). Jamaica (not so safe there).

Thought about going to St. Kitts, or Lucia, or Eluethera (the out Islands).

Can anybody else us start the planning stages or are we so addicted the the USVI's, that we should plan to just go back to what we know.

Thanks!
loria

Post by loria »

did you read Vicki's report about anguilla? sounds perfect!
< leaving on the 22nd of march...but too lame to figure out the ticker thing again!>
LysaC

Post by LysaC »

Try the BVI's! They're just a hop skip and a jump from the USVI's- basrely a change in latitude!

You will need a passport.

Same commute- Fly into ST Thomas then take the ferry to one of the BVI's.

Easy beans.
PA Girl

Post by PA Girl »

Virgin Gorda? We were there in 2008. It has everything you are looking for.

I have been looking the Out Islands for years but it is a hassle to get there. (in my opinion) I also think the islands are flat so views may be limited.
elisa_nj

Post by elisa_nj »

Connie...before letting our passports expire and finding the USVI we were going to Aruba 2x's a year (for many many years). We LOVE it there! I know the ENTIRE island if you want to look into it and need my help.
bnsilly

Post by bnsilly »

I agree..with the BVI's...try Tortola or Virgin Gorda..you can ferry to Jost...and you can book a daytrip to go snorkel the Caves at Norman Island or the Indians, etc...I have been landbased on Tortola 3 times..pm me if you have any questions..
Connie

Post by Connie »

Vicki's trip report was amazing and I have alot of places bookmarked to stay on Anguilla, but from what I understand, it's a flat, not as beautiful place as STT or STJ.

What makes me nervous about the BVI's is the prices for food and drinks. I know it's more expensive in STJ and STT then in the states, but alot of the prices don't make me so crazy, that it doesn't stop me from going back.

It's very difficult to make a decision for me. Husband, Glenn will go wherever :o) I just want to make the right choice and not miss what we already love in the USVI's.
loria

Post by loria »

Connie, have you thought of Bequia? it's a really lovely small island in the grenadines--very friendly--the beaches are not as spectacular but they are plenty beautiful and it's really fairly off the track
< leaving on the 22nd of march...but too lame to figure out the ticker thing again!>
jayseadee

Post by jayseadee »

Why not stick with what you know, but maybe upgrade a little. Stay in a nicer villa or maybe spend a few days at Caneel, charter a boat for the day for just the 2 of you, etc.

We just spent our 20th on a 50ft sailboat with a Captain/Chef and his wife. We sailed mostly around the BVI (first & last in USVI); a few pretty quiet anchorages. It was beyond awesome. They spoiled us rotten. A few $$$ but something we will talk about for a long time.
janet
PA Girl

Post by PA Girl »

I don't remember being shocked by higher food and drink prices on VG. I need to look at my TR.
Maggy

Post by Maggy »

PA Girl wrote:I don't remember being shocked by higher food and drink prices on VG. I need to look at my TR.
Me neither. I think prices on food and drinks are about the same. I can also recommend Virgin Gorda.

Maggy
ToonMann

Post by ToonMann »

Connie,

You might consider St. Barth's in the French West Indies.

My wife and I think of St. Barth the French version of St. John; small, no big hotels and not easy to get to so it's special. (You land at St. Maarten, then take a very small plane to St. Barth.)

Like the USVI, St. Barth is of Scandinavian extraction; it used to be part of Sweden. Not unusual to see fair-haired locals.

Snorkeling is not as good on St. Barth as on St. John, but the beaches are terrific. Topography and views similar to St. John, but with a French flair. Gustavia feels a bit like Cruz Bay. French and English are spoken everywhere.

Restaurants there can be pricey, like on St. John. But you'll have more French food options. Lodging can also be pricey, but I have some tips so if you're interested, send a PM.

TM
Maggy

Post by Maggy »

ToonMann wrote: Like the USVI, St. Barth is of Scandinavian extraction; it used to be part of Sweden. Not unusual to see fair-haired locals.
I just can't believe that we sold St Barts. Just imagine how cool it would be to still have a Swedish Caribbean island :lol: .

I would like to go there sometimes and I have done a bit of researching in the past, but what made me choose other islands is that it's really expensive there and not so good snorkeling.

Maggy
patr

Post by patr »

Connie, congrats on your upcoming anniversary! My hubby and I will also celebrate our 35th this year.

Whenever we visit another island, we wish we were back on St John, it is our favorite place on the planet. I say why mess with a good thing? Go with what you love!
Patr

~~Longing to be back on St. John~~
Tawni & Scott

Post by Tawni & Scott »

From one Illinois STJ lover to another...I have to agree with Patr...we also wish we were back on St. John when we visit other islands! What better way to celebrate your anniversary other than in Love City!
Boats - vessels of freedom...