Mountain Top St Thomas

Travel discussion for St. John
theshopper3

Mountain Top St Thomas

Post by theshopper3 »

We were thinking of taking a day & going to St Thomas to do a little shopping/exploring.

We were looking at the Mountaion Top. Can anyone advise where it is & what Ferry is the best to get there IE: Red Hook or CA...

Is it best to take a taxi to it or can you take the local transit system??

Thanks
The Shopper3
Jerseyboy

Post by Jerseyboy »

I think you should take the ferry to Charlotte Amalie because then you can go shopping and then get a taxi to Mountain Top (MT). MT is closer to downtown than to Red Hook. Should take about 10-15 minutes to reach MT and there are signs for it along the way. It's located at C-9 on the map.
http://www.virgin-islands-on-line.com/st/stmap.shtml

Don't expect too much up there but you do get a great view of Magens Bay, STJ and some of the BVIs. There's a bar that has great banana daiquiris and a few shops that are a little more expensive than downtown. I'd say to allow about 1 to 1-1/2 hours at most for MT. Here's a photo of Magens that we took from MT.

lpowmacback

Post by lpowmacback »

GORGEOUS VIEW... other than that... MAJOR CHEESEY TOURIST TRAP... as Jerseyboy said, "don't expect too much..."
Peace,

Lisa
Crazy Otto

try the St. Peters Greathouse instead

Post by Crazy Otto »

Mountain Top is a tourist trap but the St. Peters Greathouse is a nice scenic overlook. No bar but they do serve complimentary rum punch and there is a nice botanical garden. Great view of Magen's and Hull bays.
Reality is over-rated!
augie

Post by augie »

I originally planned to ferry over to STT for a day to see some of that island, and there are even a couple of days during our trip that no cruise ships are scheduled to stop at STT.

But after compiling all of the options we have at STJ, and factoring in the time we may very well want to spend just limin', I think I've talked myself out of it - at least for this initial trip.

Same with the BVI options - they sound great, but I believe we'll have enough to keep us occupied exploring what will still be a mostly new island to us on STJ.
Come see us!
mbw1024

Post by mbw1024 »

we didn't find the time to do any day tripping on our first visit last year. like you the bvi's sounded good but ack, we just didn't get to it.
maybe this time .. while we are on STT :)
California Girl

Post by California Girl »

On our trip to STT in '05, we attended a function put on by my husband's company at St. Peter Greathouse and I have to say the views are spectacular from up there... and they have an awesome gift shop if you're into that sort of thing (I loved it!)

I have about 10 pictures taken at St. Peter Greathouse here: http://www.pbase.com/thegripps/image/70372364
SoCaTraveler

Post by SoCaTraveler »

Wow... what FABULOUS photos, California Girl. They are absolutely breathtaking!!

Thanks for sharing. I can't wait for our trip in June. We'll be staying on St. Thomas, but making a few day trips to St. John as well. Your pictures capture many of the places we plan to visit.
theshopper3

Post by theshopper3 »

Calafornia Girl.
Awesome pictures.
Thanks everyone for all your input, will have to see what we decide when we get there.
The Shopper
California Girl

Post by California Girl »

Glad my pictures might help you out SoCaTraveler! Thanks for the compliments Shopper :D

SoCal - We stayed a week on STT and only went over to STJ for one day on a little tourist tour :) It was just enough to get me hooked, now in May we're going back to STJ for an entire week! You definitely need to spend a day on STJ! (but don't take a tour - make your own tour!)

Last bumped by Anonymous on Tue Jul 18, 2023 11:25 am.