If you've been to Hawaii...

A place for members to talk about things outside of Virgin Islands travel.
Nic in KC

If you've been to Hawaii...

Post by Nic in KC »

Which island would you recommend for first timers? We are seriously considering this for our 5th anniversary trip. We were going to Colorado, but we figure that trip is affordable/easy enough to do once we have a child and Hawaii probably not.

We love St. John, but want to experience something different. We will be looking for a more budget trip so nothing super fancy, but it looks like that's way more doable than I thought. Your input and tips are much appreciated. Oh, we are looking at going in October or November, any opinions on the timing?

Thanks!
Nicolle
Ron in South Texas

Post by Ron in South Texas »

We just got back from Hawaii. We stayed on Oahu for 3 night and Maui for 7 nights. We went to Oahu specifically to go to Pearl Harbor. My dad was stationed there in WW2 and I wanted to see it. Waikiki is very "touristy" and there is a very high population of Japanese tourists. On Oahu, we went to Pearl, climbed Diamondhead and drove the north shore and that was about it.

Maui is completely different. It's still "touristy", but not as bad a Waikiki. Lahaina is a very nice place to hang out and the road to Hana was really nice. We found the blow hole on the west side of the island and did a lot of exploring.

So, in my limited experience with Hawaii, I would go to Maui and only go to Oahu to see Pearl Harbor.
It's 5 O'Clock Somewhere!
Teddy Salad

Post by Teddy Salad »

Nic,

Have only been to Kauai (3 times and love it, planning on going again next February) and Oahu but only the Honolulu airport there to change planes.

Here is a link that might help you decide:

http://www.hawaiitravelbureau.com/islands.html

Each island has its own charm. October or November should be fine weatherwise, but it can rain there any time of year. Keep in mind that the north and east sides of the islands are the wetter, more lush areas and the west and south sides are the dry sides.
XOXO

Post by XOXO »

I have been to Oahu once, Kauai once, and Maui twice. Of the 3 the only one I don't recommend is Oahu. You will not get the island experience, imo. The Waikiki beach is a little more like Miami's beaches than St. John. It is more glitzy and there is a lot of activity.

So, given that you like St. John, I don't think you will be happy there. It was nice seeing Pearl Harbor and the shopping strip is really fun with street performers and upscale shopping. But other than that it is not somewhere I would recommend.

So, that leaves Maui and Kauai, and you will not go wrong with either. I should clarify, there are other islands for you, but these are the only two I have any experience with. We loved both islands. Given that you love St. John I think maybe Kauai is a good match. Stay on the north side because it is very quiet; although I am not sure about the surf at that time of year--maybe someone else can let Nic know if it would be better not to be on the North in October/November. I have a trip report. I didn't finish it yet but it will give you a good idea of our impressions.

Overall Kauai was more expensive than Maui.

Enjoy planning your trip! And congratulations on your anniversary!

xoxo
Lex

Post by Lex »

We've been to Hawaii twice. The first time we went to Maui and Kauai. The second trip was to the Big Island and to Kauai. Our third trip will be just Kauai. We fell deeply in love with Kauai's north shore.

Time of year does matter as far as the north shore of Kauai. Both of our trips were in early September---the first time by chance, the second time by design. The surf gets really rough on the north shore for part of the year. In a very general way, the winter's rough and the summer's fine. Early September was fine but I don't know when it begins to change. The south coast isn't affected, so you're always okay there.

We've been so enchanted by the north shore that we wouldn't go to Kauai if we couldn't be there during the months when the north shore surf is calm.

A lot of people going to Hawaii do seem to split their time between two islands.

We've found the TA forums very helpful for the different islands of Hawaii.
sailorgirl

Post by sailorgirl »

Nic, We leave in two weeks for Kauai on our 5th anniversery trip. I'll report back.
XOXO

Post by XOXO »

Lex, I agree that we will only stay on the north shore and we will avoid the months that people advise against staying on the north shore. We loved it. It was so quiet and beautiful.

Nic, our friend stayed at the Marriott and loved it. That is on the South shore. There is a really fun looking area with restaurants in the Piopu area. Just mentioning that you will enjoy the south shore. Who knows, if we would have stayed there on our first trip we might be saying that we will only stay on the south shore, lol. The trees are amazing on the drive there.

Sailorgirl, I am looking forward to hearing what you think of Kauai.

xoxo
verjoy

Post by verjoy »

Nic,
We lived on Oahu for 3 years many years ago and the last time we were back was 1991 so most of what I could tell you about would be out of date. Except, if you want to see a live volcano and black sand beaches, you must go to the Big Island of Hawaii. There are some lovely hotels there too.
Nic in KC

Post by Nic in KC »

Thank you everyone for the input! Sailorgirl...congrats on 5 years! We picked a good year to get married!! I will be anxiously awaiting your report. Maybe I should wait to book until you return!

I think we are definitely most interested in Kauai, and now it's all about figuring out where on island to stay. I really think we'll be fine no matter where we stay. I'd prefer the North shore, but I'd really prefer to go in October so I'm almost thinking I'd rather stay where it's more likely to be sunny and then we can explore the rest of the island!

If anyone else reads this, do you stay without A/C? It looks like a lot of condos don't have it and I'm thinking it's important for us, but....
Gigi

Post by Gigi »

I have been fortunate enough to have visited each of the islands and Kauai is the only one that I have returned to many times. We have traveled in the fall and the surf does get pretty high on the North but it is absolutely beautiful. On our last trip, we split our stay between the north and south. There are a lot of affordable condo's on the island - check out Kuhio Shores on the south and we love Hanalei Bay Resort on the North. We have stayed without a/c and depending on location and the trades, it was comfortable. Tripadvisor is a great source of information. PM me if you have any questions. Have fun planning!
sailorgirl

Post by sailorgirl »

Nic in KC wrote:If anyone else reads this, do you stay without A/C? It looks like a lot of condos don't have it and I'm thinking it's important for us, but....
I went back and forth so many times on the A/C non A/C issue. I know XXOO opted for AC. We eventually went without, although I am a little nervous about it. I will be fine, but my husband is more hot blooded then me. Most of the condos do not have it, so I figure that musy mean something. We rented one right on the cliffs, the owner is local and lives without it.
cmw5682

Post by cmw5682 »

Wow, we were thinking about Hawaii for our 5th anniversary too! I LOVE St. John, but my husband does nothing but complain about the high humidity! Our 5th anniversary is June 17, 2011... when's yours?
Sadly, I am tickerless :(
Nic in KC

Post by Nic in KC »

CMW: We will celebrate 5 years on October 22. I wish we had thought to start planning way in advance, but we honestly planned to just do a road trip to the mountains and now we suddenly think Kauai will work!

Sailorgirl, I will be anxious to hear how the no a/c works out. Where are you staying? PM if you prefer to say that way.

Gigi, I may be PMing you with questions here in a bit!

Thanks again for all of the input!
chicagoans

Post by chicagoans »

We've been to Maui and Kauai. On Maui, we stayed at a few different places (Ka'anapali, Wailea, Hana) because each part of the island is so different. Since we loved laid back, lush Hana, we knew our next HI vacay would be to Kauai.

Although we really like Maui, I would return to Kauai instead. But as Teddy Salad mentioned, it all depends on what you're looking for. Night life and fine dining? Maybe Maui. Lush beauty, hiking, laid back? Kauai. (Can't comment on the other islands.)

As others have mentioned, time of year makes a big difference on Kauai. This site has good info about seasonal surf trends: http://www.kauaiexplorer.com/guides/bea ... trends.php

I like this site for the aerial views of properties so you can tell exactly how far you'd be from the beach: www.wizardpub.com (Click on the island tab, then Resort Aerials tab, then click on the resort name on the map.)