Something wierd is going on

Travel discussion for St. John
Connie

Something wierd is going on

Post by Connie »

I've been reading alot of posts about break ins on STJ. It just seems really wierd that it's happening so much.

Is it because the bad guys are watching at the Ferry Dock and following or what?
XOXO

Post by XOXO »

Aren't the break-ins normally at the same houses/villa's and areas?

I am afraid it is more about economic desperation. And I don't think it is going to get better any time soon.

Really, do we have to bring all of this stuff with us? Maybe leave all of our favorite things at home--anything that we can't live without and don't want to replace. Leave your jewelry, laptop, cash, best camera, etc. Bring only a couple of credit cards. Leave on in the safe with the passports and use the other one. Also, put daily limits on your cards so that if anyone grabs one they can't get much before you have a chance to put a freeze on it.

xoxo
NCSue

Post by NCSue »

XO - we did all that. I left all jewelry at home.......we had all our cameras with us......I had one lonely ipod on the kitchen counter charging. I like my Ipod - I like the music flying and I love to play games. I refuse to believe that I should sacrifice the things I enjoy so that some sticky-fingered landscaper won't be given the opportunity. Perhaps the people who actually commit the crimes should sacrifice and pay the price.
XOXO

Post by XOXO »

I know NCSue and I agree. But at the end of the day I really don't want to lose my stuff. My iPod I use every day. My camera is the nicest camera I have ever had, it was a big decision to splurge and buy it, and I don't want to buy it twice. I am using my iPad right now. I enjoy this stuff every day and would rather do without it for a few days than the remaining 365 days.

But Sue, you aren't wrong. These people with sticky fingers are the ones who should change. The thought of flying without listening to my iPod isn't a pleasant thought. Darn it!

xoxo
liamsaunt

Post by liamsaunt »

People. This is not difficult. When you are not using your electronic devices, put them in the safe that your villa provides. If you have a large electronic device, such as a laptop, secure it with a steel cable to a fixture. The locking cables are around $10 at Best Buy. If you want to bring your dslr to the beach and you want to go snorkeling, get a steel mesh lined bag with a lock and secure it to a tree.

You might live "way out in the country" or in a small town where you never need to lock your doors (and if you feel that way I suggest you read 'In Cold Blood' by Truman Capote), but STJ is essentially a small city, many people crammed together and incredible economic divides right on top of each other.

So, in conclusion, just lock your stuff up and save the stress and hassle. That's how it is.

Sent from Cottage 7 at Caneel Bay :wink:
It's like looking in your soup and finding a whole different alphabet.
PA Girl

Post by PA Girl »

liamsaunt wrote: You might live "way out in the country" or in a small town where you never need to lock your doors (and if you feel that way I suggest you read 'In Cold Blood' by Truman Capote), but STJ is essentially a small city, many people crammed together and incredible economic divides right on top of each other.

Sent from Cottage 7 at Caneel Bay :wink:
That is one of two books I refused to finish. Everything he describes about where they lived and their farm reminded me of my grandparent's farm. Shudder....

Tell me more about that bag. I need something like that.

And yeah to Cottage 7, lucky girl!
Lulu76

Post by Lulu76 »

I haven't had my stuff stolen on St. John, but I did drop my beach bag in the ocean on Jost and had to replace my iPod, camera and cell phone. So, it made a very expensive vacation even more expensive.

I don't believe in taking my laptop on vacation, so you won't see me toting that around. I like to listen to Bob Marley on the beach, so the iPod is still coming.

Yeah, it's all expensive to replace but it's all still stuff. I don't want anyone to break into my villa, mostly because I don't want to be violated like that and it would ruin my vacation.

I worry about crime. I am worrying about it a lot more lately, because it does sound like the bad economy is leading people to desperation, but I am just going to do what I always do (it isn't anything I wouldn't do at home) and say a little prayer that my vacation is a safe and happy one.
Mar

Post by Mar »

Hi liamsaunt....where can you find one of the steel lined mesh bags that you described? Thank you
Gromit

Post by Gromit »

Not sure if this is what Liamsaunt was referring to but hubby uses this mesh bag thingy made by PacSafe:

http://www.rei.com/product/709208

He uses it for alot of stuff and always brings it down with us. It's especially nice when you're driving a Jeep that's pretty open.

Again, there's no way to keep everythings safe all the time. Even if you leave it at home back in the states, someone can break into your home while you're gone on vacay and clean you out.

As I mentioned on another thread the way homes are designed in the VI they are virtually impossible to secure so we always use the safe for valuables. But again, we do that everywhere.

But back to the PacSafe thing. Hubby likes it and uses it for travel a lot. A little extra peace of mind. Obviously if someone is intent on taking it , they will come back with bolt cutters but the idea is to make it inconvenient for thieves and urge them to "move along."

Shop around for prices on the PacSafe, as prices can vary from web site to web site.

All this being said, I want to reiterate that (knock on wood) we have never had anything stolen (even when left on the beach) and have never experienced any problems with crime on island.

Wait, I take that back! We did have a thief steal our lunch once. The bastard had a look-out and they tag teamed taking turns stealing our food and snacks.

I tried to file a report with the NPS on island, but they gave me "attitude" so I just let the whole issue go. Apparantly this sort of crime is rampant on island but ignored by the authorities...I found a picture of him on line....

So if you see this sonofabitch: http://www.seestjohn.com/images/fauna/m ... e_main.jpg

Tell the little Sh!t that I want my Deli Grotto cookie back!
*Another fine scatterbrained production
Skipd

Post by Skipd »

Liamsaunt wrote"

"People. This is not difficult. When you are not using your electronic devices, put them in the safe that your villa provides. If you have a large electronic device, such as a laptop, secure it with a steel cable to a fixture. The locking cables are around $10 at Best Buy. If you want to bring your dslr to the beach and you want to go snorkeling, get a steel mesh lined bag with a lock and secure it to a tree.

You might live "way out in the country" or in a small town where you never need to lock your doors (and if you feel that way I suggest you read 'In Cold Blood' by Truman Capote), but STJ is essentially a small city, many people crammed together and incredible economic divides right on top of each other.

So, in conclusion, just lock your stuff up and save the stress and hassle. That's how it is."

Im sorry but it is difficult for me when people break into my villa and are rooting around in it while we are alseep. Its not just a matter of "locking my stuff up" and saving the stress and hassle. What about the stress and hassle of being violated? What would have happened if someone in my family would have encountered them? This attitude kinda sounds like the police reaction.
California Girl

Post by California Girl »

I don't act any differently on St. John than I do at home. I know there are a lot of places in the country where people never lock their doors, but So. California is not one of them. I've always locked all my doors and windows. At night the only windows left open are inaccessible on the 2nd floor. When I leave my house, I close my drapes and make sure my gates and doors are locked. I came home once and apparently scared off someone who was trying to break into my house from my patio by jimmying the door with something like a screwdriver. At that time I didn't lock my gates or close my drapes because I didn't think anything of it...and there sat my camera, my laptop and a few other gadgets in plain sight through the windows. It was then when I started closing my drapes and locking my gates when I leave.

I do the same thing no matter where I am. I do my best to secure my surroundings and try to remove tempting items from view. But in the end, if they want it, they'll do their best to get it, and in a rental villa they can assume there are all sorts of goodies that the tourists bring with them. I bet more rental villas are broken into than resident homes. It would be interesting to see some numbers on that.
bnsilly

Post by bnsilly »

I agree...for me, I don't want to have to worry about someone breaking in while we are sleeping..and having to worry about my family's safety. It seems on island, they have targets, and a little routine going...which isn't good at all..this is all a shame...I love STJ..but honestly don't know if I would take my family there..I would still go, with other adults, but not sure I would take my kids..
liamsaunt

Post by liamsaunt »

Skipd wrote: Im sorry but it is difficult for me when people break into my villa and are rooting around in it while we are alseep. Its not just a matter of "locking my stuff up" and saving the stress and hassle. What about the stress and hassle of being violated? What would have happened if someone in my family would have encountered them? This attitude kinda sounds like the police reaction.
No. The person in the original post that started this offshoot discussion said that they left their villa unlocked. If you leave your villa unlocked, and your valuables out, you are not being as smart as the person who keeps their villa locked and valuables secured. That is true here or in your own hometown.
It's like looking in your soup and finding a whole different alphabet.
cocosmom

Post by cocosmom »

Even in my "safe" neighborhood, we were broken in to. Teens looking for a quick find. In your homes DO NOT put your jewlery in a jewelry box. That is a quick grab & run. Also DO NOT store tapes from your video camera in the case. You can lose years of memories. Let them take the camera, that can be replaced. Speaking from experience
Skipd

Post by Skipd »

Liamsaunt wrote:

"No. The person in the original post that started this offshoot discussion said that they left their villa unlocked. If you leave your villa unlocked, and your valuables out, you are not being as smart as the person who keeps their villa locked and valuables secured. That is true here or in your own hometown."

I cant seem to find that first post as stated above either in the origianal topic of the shooting by graysondave or in this one started by Connie. What am I doing wrong?? Im new at this.