OH no! I just thought of something...

Travel discussion for St. John
Iluvstjohn

OH no! I just thought of something...

Post by Iluvstjohn »

If the island is getting so much rain now......that means my August 11th to 18th trip will probably be filled with mosquitos! Is that right?

Ok then...get me armed....I have 2 kids....and if they aren't happy...then mommy ain't happy (you'd think it would be the other way around)...but nope. I'll do anything...deet, etc! LOL What are your best defenses?
Rbaron721

Skeeters

Post by Rbaron721 »

Yes, I would say there are going to be some mosquitos when you go. But get some mosquito fogger to spray around you when you are planning to be in the same spot outside and get you some 100% deet. They sell it there.

Good luck. Don't worry about the bugs. You'll have a blast. Stay close to the water's edge or in the water and they shouldn't get you!
Russ
JJShaw

Post by JJShaw »

We arrive the 11th as well...I was just thinking the same thing...wondering how the bugs will be after all the rain. Last time we found them to be at their worse at dusk.
[/url]
VirginiaPatsRedsoxGirl

Post by VirginiaPatsRedsoxGirl »

When will they be at their worst? We will be there Aug 2 onward. One daughter is "bug magnet", gets the worst bites in the family! We are concerned about this, but more concerned about rain when we are there!
jimg20

Post by jimg20 »

We have had the best luck with Off Clip-ons. They only work when you are stationary like sitting on a blanket, eating a meal, or driving in a car. They put out an oderless cloud that repels the little bugs. I used them at the grill. When I go out to light it I set one up on each side. By the time the grill heats up and meat is ready to go on, the Clip-on has done its thing. We also placed two in the Jeep, one on the visor and another on the floor, before we left and it would clear out the car. We would place them on each end of the neat sheet at Maho when we went into the water. When we came back the area was clear. Each Clip-on needed 2 refills and 2 sets of batteries to make it 10 days. We fould ours at Home Depot.

JIM
Man it's like some dream we live down here....

Jo Ann - VA

Post by Jo Ann - VA »

Good to know Jim.
Jo Ann
Always planning the next vacation...
Gromit

Post by Gromit »

I've said it before and I'll say it again: Bens Bens Bens. That's what works consistently for us.

Comes in 30%, 100%, wipes, spray etc. You can buy it at outdoor stores, drug stores or on-line.

http://www.google.com/products?oe=UTF-8 ... 1&oi=spell
*Another fine scatterbrained production
equineannie

OFF Stuff

Post by equineannie »

OK, run to the store and stock up on the Off battery operated repellent. It has repellent strip; buy refills as well. No gimmick, we used them in Asia and they work...they clip on to your clothes or a chair and then spread an area with repellent. No nasty smell.
Pote

Raid?

Post by Pote »

Can you by Raid at Cost U less or Kmart? Is that considered uncool because it will kill non-biters too?