Skeeter Count Week of 7/26

Travel discussion for St. John
greyhoundmom

Skeeter Count Week of 7/26

Post by greyhoundmom »

Wonder how bad they'll be next week? Hoping for scattered showers without the big rains for our week. Is the water cloudy now? I know rain is a good thing but for the newbies I wish for sun and clear snorkeling!
EastEnder

Post by EastEnder »

Just took this shot

Not too many mosquitoes now. However, it's difficult to say with all the recent rain.
toni

Post by toni »

We're noticing a small increase in the Mosquitos from the beginning of the week until now. Honeymoon was turbid today but some of the others have been clear. They closed magens down due to run off. There have been some heavy rains but the past couple days it has tapered off, nowhere near like the beginning of the week. It rained this am but beautiful right now.
EastEnder

Post by EastEnder »

The waterfall down the Reef Bay trail was strong. It created a cool breeze that my mother likened to air conditioning. No mosquitoes coming from Lameshur trail out past Salt Pond to the petroglyphs.
EastEnder

Post by EastEnder »

Was in Coral Bay last night and noticed above average mosquito count. Same goes for this morning. Seems like the new hatching has begun and shall continue for the next week. Anyone coming this week or next bring protection.

For those who do not prefer OFF or Deet, try Avon's Skin So Soft. It is not as effective as the others, but smells better and does make your skin look good, especially when it's getting a fair amount of sun.
Pia

Post by Pia »

I have not noticed any swarms (well except for my bees but that's another story) yet - I was even on Maho yesterday until 5:45pm (a first for me) and not one bite and I have to say the mossies love me so so far all is good but we are not at the 10 day mark yet.

Pia
Realtor - St John Properties
greyhoundmom

Post by greyhoundmom »

Thanks, EastEnder, Toni and Pia for the updates! We have an 8:00 a.m flight tomorrow morning which is making it difficult for me to work today!
pipanale

Post by pipanale »

There were a bunch at the Cinnamon Bay trail today, and I noticed a few at the house in Great Cruz Bay..

All in all, not bad this week.
toni

Post by toni »

We hiked to Solomon Monday and there were lots of the critters out there-beach area was perfect but the trail was bad. Totally forgot to spray before we left and I'm scratching like crazy now :(
Patrick

Post by Patrick »

We are on STT out in Peterborg and have noticed an increase. Currently using Repel's plant based Lemon Eucalyptus mix and it is doing a good job so far.... that is if you can take the smell.
mindehankins

Post by mindehankins »

OT: Toni, did you check in at home? We had some tornados come through on Saturday afternoon.....
Shari

Post by Shari »

We had to break out the spray today on the beach at Cinnamon Bay. Only on bite for me but DD is "ate up".
toni

Post by toni »

Hey Minde-
Our cat sitter emailed us and then I saw your posting with the pictures. Appreciate that you put the pictures up :)
Glad nobody got hurt.
Toni
VirginiaPatsRedsoxGirl

Post by VirginiaPatsRedsoxGirl »

Any new update on this? Close to 10 days since the big rain! Arriving on Monday, 2 Aug and have a couple of kids who seem to be "juicy" to the bugs!

Thanks!
RWR

Post by RWR »

Have been on STJ for 1 week, noticed a small increase. Nothing at all that bad......spent everyday at the beach.