Travel to St John with (Big) Dog

Travel discussion for St. John
jmarstonpa

Travel to St John with (Big) Dog

Post by jmarstonpa »

Has anyone every done this? How does it go? I know what the airline rules are but I also know people say NEVER to let your pet travel in the hold, even though it is pressurized and heated. So I'm just wondering if anyone has actually gone through the process and would be willing to share their thoughts.
Thanks!
CariBert

Post by CariBert »

Are you talking about moving to St. John with your dog? If not, I would advise against taking your pet to St. john. I believe it is illegal to have your dog on the Park beaches, and the long plane ride and possible quarentine may not be worth the trouble. JMHO.

-Bert
The liver is evil, it must be punished!

California Girl

Post by California Girl »

CariBert wrote: the long plane ride and possible quarentine may not be worth the trouble.
-Bert
From everything I've read, you only need a current rabies certificate to take your dog to the USVI, there is no quarantine period. But I don't think I'd put my dog through all that travel if it's just a vacation. If you're moving there, then that's a different story. Maybe you could get more info on the relocation forum in that case. :D
bj

Post by bj »

It will be very difficult if not impossible to locate a taxi that will except your dog. If you do ... the expense will most likely be really expensive! To board the ferry to St. John you will have to have a muzzle on your dog. I am not sure you may be even required to have the dog in a cage?
Peace,
bj
Pia

Post by Pia »

Not a good idea if it is just for a vacation.

It is $90.00 for the dog to travel in a taxi from the airport in STT (as they will not take anyone else with you) They are required to fit in "carry on" type bags on the ferry, and it is illegal for them to be on any National Park Beach on STJ (which is most of them) more options on beaches on STT, they must be leashed on all trails and trying to find a villa that would accept them is next to impossible.

If you need help with relocating with your dog check out this forum (sorry Anthony)

Pia

http://www.vimovingcenter.com/talk/list.php?4
nothintolose

Post by nothintolose »

Before I was a trainer, I used to work at a kennel that would pick up dogs that were shipped in the cargo section of the plane.

I was told all kinds of stories from the people that worked there about dogs being EXTREMELY stressed out. They told me of one that ripped all of his claws out scratching at the kennel so much.

I have also heard stories of them being in their kennels out on the tarmac (sp) in the hot sun.

The dogs I saw were all fine other that looking freaked out.

Knowing that kind of stuff, I don't care if I have to drive across country, I will NEVER stick my dog in the cargo section of a plane.

nothintolose
jmarstonpa

Post by jmarstonpa »

Thanks for all the advice. We own a villa and have been trying to use it for longer and longer periods, up to a month. We are now thinking of going down for 3 months. During our past trips, we have left our beloved golden retriever with a close friend during these trips because we heard all the horror stories and didn't want to do that to her. She just died last month after a long and happy life (although we were pretty devastated). We are now thinking of getting a new dog, and, having always had goldens, it is hard to think of a smaller breed. But, if we want a dog, that's how we might have to go. I hoped there was a transport option I had missed, but I guess not....
Thanks again.
Chickadee

Post by Chickadee »

Might only solve one problem, but you could check out http://www.companionair.com/index.php
Jennifer

Steve S

Post by Steve S »

CariBert wrote:Are you talking about moving to St. John with your dog? If not, I would advise against taking your pet to St. john. I believe it is illegal to have your dog on the Park beaches, and the long plane ride and possible quarentine may not be worth the trouble. JMHO.

-Bert
Leave your pet home please. I watched in dismay the other day from the bend in the road at ZoZo's as a couple let their labs take a crap on the little beach on Frank bay and just left it there...
Teresa_Rae

Post by Teresa_Rae »

Steve S wrote: Leave your pet home please. I watched in dismay the other day from the bend in the road at ZoZo's as a couple let their labs take a crap on the little beach on Frank bay and just left it there...
Wow, that is terrible. I'm sure most dog owners are more responsible than that though.

I wouldn't recommend that you not bring a dog on the basis that you'd let it poop on the beach, I doubt you would, but I'd recommend against it because of the stress on the dog caused by traveling. Just my 2 cents :)
jmarstonpa

Post by jmarstonpa »

Thanks to all for your help. I tried to follow the link that Chickadee sent, but it doesn't look like the "Pet Airline" is flying yet. As I noted in my email, we aren't moving to St John, but will be going for about 3 months. But it looks like we have no real alternatives to leaving a large dog at home, since (as I feared) the stress and/or danger of a commercial plane hold is not something I would subject our pet to.
To Bert, though, please don't assume that all pet owners would be as inconsiderate as the ones you saw. Most of us are also homeowners, and we don't want to pick up after some one else's dog either! And we pick up after our own. If you are going to have a pet, then this is one of the responsibilities that goes along with it.
KPlumm

Post by KPlumm »

Hi

I don't have a dog right now, but I am very much an animal lover. This may be a stupid suggestion, but in an effort to cause the dog as little stress as possible, I wonder if your vet could provide a tranquilizer that would last long enough for the trip?
alw1977

Post by alw1977 »

Alternatively, since you don't currently have a dog, you could look for a mixed breed that is on the smaller side. I certainly understand your affinity for Golden Retrievers, but there are so many very sweet dogs and cats in shelters around this country. I always get my pets from rescue organizations. I believe most airlines put a weight limit of 20 lbs on animals for in-cabin travel.
CariBert

Post by CariBert »

jmarstonpa, I am not the one who saw the dog pooping incident, I think that was Steve. I wish I was there to witness those things, that would mean I would not be here.

I am a pet owner too, and I understand the way you are torn between leaving your pet for an extended period of time. But I also can see the other side of the coin (from the animal's perspective), and I don't think it would be worth the trade offs.

I always look for a "resort" cat to adopt while we are there, and I always support the groups that try to keep the ferral animals under control (by neutering, not killing). Maybe you could have an "Island" pet that you can take care of while you are on island.....just a thought.

-Bert
The liver is evil, it must be punished!

nothintolose

Post by nothintolose »

Maybe you guys could foster one of the shelter pets while you are down there since you will be down there for so long...who knows, you may find that new edition while on STJ.

nothintolose