When to buy plane tickets

Travel discussion for St. John
DCphoto

When to buy plane tickets

Post by DCphoto »

Hi everyone,

I live in Northern Virginia, and the past two years I did all the planning for the trip, this year, We are bringing my fiance 3 children with us Dec 1-9 of December and I have been trying to get him to buy the plane tickets now, but he said it can wait. We need 5 tickets from Dulles Airport to St. Thomas. I've been checking airfare and it is at 350.00 per person. Which is excellent price. Any thoughts to this? Buy now or wait a little longer?

Please help end this debate!

Sandy
suzi

Post by suzi »

I think I wuld buy now...sounds like a good price to me...Doubt if it could go much lower
flip-flop

Post by flip-flop »

I luckily usually use frequent flier miles to get us there but whenever I have purchased tickets I tend to do it pretty far in advance. I tend to snap up anything under $400/pp. The absolute cheapest I've ever seen from the DC area was $318 and that was purchased in January for a November trip.

It is possible they will dip, but I would be happy with that price. And esp when traveling with several people the potential savings if they shoot up is significant.

Another thing to consider is that (as Anthony said earlier) more folks from the US are going to the USVI because of all the passport requirements now in effect for other Caribbean locations. You can still come and go from the USVI without a passport and for whatever reason some are resistent to getting a passport! Its all a matter of supply and demand. If the flights fill up the airlines will surely jack up the prices!
DCphoto

Post by DCphoto »

I will show him this. For some reason he can't use his frequent flyer miles. Can't find the right flights for his miles he has stacked up. I'm worried that if we wait we will have a hard time booking.

Thanks for your suggestions. I learn so much from all of you. This is a great!

Sandy
Gromit

Post by Gromit »

DC Photo I'm RIGHT there with you! We're going down 12/1-11/2007-- same time you guys are.

I've been eyeing the prices on AA out of IAD and I am sooo tempted to jump at $324 (on orbitz) total. Granted it's thru SJU which I hate. I much prefer to go thru Miami with AA or to go thru Atlanta on Delta.

We have an Amex platinum card which gives us access to the airport clubs with Delta and some other airlines, but not AA. So I've been watching for the Delta flights to come down from $539 (actually $600 total), so that we can take advatage, but it just seems like they are never going to bring their prices down! ugh!

I may just suck it up and forego the luxury of the lounge and potential upgrades, to save ourselves a few hundred dollars.

But I keep checking!

Flip Flop is right-- anything under $350 is really good.

Typically, based on my experience- the prices are high a year out and then continue to dip until about 6-9 months out, then they spike again and stay high until about three months out when they drop and then they spike again. At least on the IAD - STT route.

Keep in mind that you guys are flying on peak days (Sat and Sun) so I'd say grab what you can.

Sometimes I actually check to see how many seats are still left on that flight. That will give you a pretty good idea of where you stand too.

Good luck!
*Another fine scatterbrained production
DCphoto

Post by DCphoto »

The first year we went through San Juan, Not the best airport in the world but did not have any trouble at all with our flights. I can't pick on Puerto Rico since most of my income comes from working for El Nuevo Dia Newspaper on the Island. Last year flew from Dulles to Atlanta, that was a night mare. Our flight was late had to run through the airport to another terminal to catch our flight to STT. We had 2 minutes to spare. I'm trying avoid ATL at all cost this year. We usually fly in on a Friday and leave on a Monday but don't want the kids to miss too many school days. I'm learning real fast on how to be a step mom, we will be married on Oct. 20 of this year.

Sandy
Bill in Va

Come fly with me!!!!!!!

Post by Bill in Va »

Yo DCphoto and Gromit...Get on the AA flight #1151 leaving IAD at 8:15 with me. We can even think about getting a private taxi for us all since we will be together and...maybe even a water taxi too. Just a thought....God bless...Bill
MrsCARolph

Post by MrsCARolph »

For a summer flight from Minneapolis, we're paying about $500 per ticket. There were cheaper options (as low as $390) but we didn't want to spend all day in airports, and we wanted to arrive in STT before dark.

Usually, the sooner you buy, the better the deal. Other than that, you can usually find close-out deals in the days before the flight, but that wouldn't leave you much time to plan.
Bill in Va

American rates $329.70

Post by Bill in Va »

Hey there DCphoto. Just looked at American and the rate includeing fees was $329.70 for your dates. Jump on it.....God bless...Bill
ScubaGirl

Post by ScubaGirl »

Buy Now!!!!! It's not going to get much cheaper!!
Gromit

Post by Gromit »

Bill in VA you're making me nervous!!

I may just book 1151 tonight for hubby and me. And if we do, we may very well take you up on the water taxi offer. Would be nice not to have to wait for the ferry. We'd definitely be game for that.

I'll let you know soon enough.
DCphoto

Post by DCphoto »

Thanks for all your help. I would love to share a water taxi but we are staying at the Westin and going to take advantage of their ferry to the Resort. Just easier with all 5 of us. With my group we would take up all the room on the boat! I'm going to convince my better half to jump on these deals tonight! We are leaving for Florida tomorrow for Marco Island for a long weekend, wish it was St. John! For all the Jimmy Buffett fans he is going to be giving a concert on the beach in Anguilla this weekend :) That was my first choice, but meeting family in Florida and they would have been mad at us.
Gromit

Post by Gromit »

Bill in VA-- I purchased tix for hubby and me last night on AA 1151 IAD-SJU-STT. Row 15.

I'll touch base later.
RickG

Post by RickG »

We fly out of Dulles and by the first fare we see below $400. We've paid as much as $750 each over July 4. We've already bought our November tickets.

Cheers, RickG
S/V Echoes - Coral Bay - St. John, VI
flip-flop

Post by flip-flop »

I am w/ RickG - under $400 and I snap it up.

As for the Frequent Flyer tickets - DCPhoto - I am not sure if you have tried to call as well as to do it through the website. I've done it both ways and often find better luck with one or the other. Can't find decent flights online at the super saver rate (I am VERY reluctant to use 60K miles for a ticket when I know there is a 30K miles option) I will call and talk to an agent. Some are more helpful than others, but I have gotten better alternatives over the phone at times.