Getting Married? When and Where?

Travel discussion for St. John
wink1134

Getting Married? When and Where?

Post by wink1134 »

Hi everyone! I've seen a few posts about people getting married in St. John. CONGRATULATIONS to everyone out there! I thought it might be cool for everyone to say when and where they've picked for the ceremony. Honestly, I'm a little concerened about picking the same date and place as another wedding. :-) There are so many beaches that seems like it would be impossible, but you never know..

I'm getting married on Tuesday May 15th at 8:45am at Hawksnest (I think).
canucknyc

Post by canucknyc »

Very close! We're getting married at sunset on May 14th - at Hawksnest!

Congratulations!
Teresa_Rae

Post by Teresa_Rae »

My husband and I go to STJ summer, and have spent a total of around 50 days on the island. We pretty much spend all day, every day on the beach. In all that time, I think we’ve seen three weddings, all at different times of the day. Two of them we saw from a distance, the other was up close. The beaches are big enough that you’ll be able to find a spot away from people.

We still joke about the “up close” wedding we saw at Cinnamon a couple years ago. It was around 5 pm, and we had been there all day. The beach was pretty empty, but a couple showed up, surveyed the landscape, and decided to get married about 10 feet away from us. So there we were in our swimming suits, on our towels, listening to people recite their vows. We undoubtedly made it into some of their wedding pictures :lol:
Bug

Post by Bug »

We went with our best friends back in 2005 to get married on St. John. They picked the date May 5th - 5/5/05. She picked the date hoping it would help her hubby to be remember their anniversary - hehehe. Anyway, that day is also Cinco DiMaio (sp?), a big celebration in the Islands. Her wedding planner told her that that particular day because of the date was one of the busiest wedding days she has had. They chose a 9am wedding on Hawksnest. We didn't see another person on the beach until their weeding was complete and we were ready to leave. I think you'll be just fine:) Congrats!!
Andrea266

Post by Andrea266 »

Congrats, wink! I'm getting married at Gibney Beach on June 9...I chose it because the beach is usually much less crowded than the other north shore beaches. I'm extremely shy and am going to have a hard enough time being the center of attention with my friends and family, so I wanted to make sure there are as few beach-goers as possible who might stop and stare!
Also like Gibney for the Oppenheimer house...restrooms for the guests and a place to go inside just in case we have any...you know...the "R" word (I can't even bear to think about bad weather on my wedding day).
liamsaunt

Post by liamsaunt »

Probably because we are usually there in June, John and I have seen lots of weddings, plus some vow renewals. We usually are able to keep our distance, though last year we had an embarrassing moment.

We went to Trunk quite late in the afternoon to snorkel around the cay. When we arrived there was only one other couple on the beach, hanging out and swimming, etc. We dumped our stuff by the cay and headed out. When we were done, quite some time later, we approached shore only to find that there was a large (around 30 people) wedding taking place about 10 feet from our snorkel bags and towels!

By this point, the entire beach was empty, except for the wedding party and us. We hung out in the water for a while longer, not wanting to interrupt things, but we started getting really cold, so out we went, tiptoeing up to our bags, trying (mostly unsuccessfully) not to let our gear clank around and make noise. We snuck away without even drying off, but man, I wish they could have picked another spot. I am not exagerating when I say the entire rest of the beach was completely empty.

So, if John and I crashed your dusk wedding at Trunk last June, sorry!
It's like looking in your soup and finding a whole different alphabet.
Jerseyboy

Post by Jerseyboy »

Liamsaunt - Funny story, I got a good visual from it too. :lol:
MrsCARolph

Post by MrsCARolph »

I'm planning a St John wedding, too. It's actually more of an elopement, though, because my fiance and I haven't told most of our friends and family. It will be an early morning ceremony on a beach (I still can't decide--we'll probably just pick one while we're there). We chose, Saturday, July 7th, 2007 (07/07/07). Of the 6 officiants on the island, only ONE had an available time slot.

So by my math, there must be AT LEAST 12 weddings taking place that day. Hopefully our little ceremony won't be trampled by bridezillas and three dozen bridesmaids decked out in taffeta and tulle!
Teresa_Rae

Post by Teresa_Rae »

Liamsaunt...I feel your pain! :)

In our case, we were laying there when they chose the spot, so we figured that they must not have minded us being there, seeing as we were the only ones left on Cinnamon.

We thought about leaving, but the commotion of packing up towels, bags, snorkeling gear, and a cooler probably would have been more distracting than just laying there. The wedding was over in about 10 minutes.
LSU Beach Tiger

Post by LSU Beach Tiger »

Got married on Cinnamon at 9am on a Thursday by Anne Marie Porter & we, with our family were the only ones on the beach. It all depends on the time and day more so than the beach you choose.