St. John on cover of CT+L again

Travel discussion for St. John
liamsaunt

St. John on cover of CT+L again

Post by liamsaunt »

This month's issue of Caribbean Travel and Life magazine features a photograph of Trunk Bay. Has anyone else seen it? It looks bizarrely photoshopped to me. Maybe it was the perspective of the camera, but the palm trees look about 400 feet tall in comparison to the people on the beach, and the cay looks way too close to shore. I liked the Gibney cover photo from a couple issues ago much better.
It's like looking in your soup and finding a whole different alphabet.
sea-nile

Post by sea-nile »

I'd like to see that. I don't have a subscription anymore. Can someone post the picture?
Why do they feel they have to mess with that picture? The original is beautiful.
iowaguy

Post by iowaguy »

Is this the photo? I agree, the trees look a little surreal.

---Jim
pipanale

Post by pipanale »

I looked at i and said "That's Trunk" but couldn't find a reason in the magazine to have put it on the cover. Then, I talked myself out of it being Trunk...then I saw the note in the index and am still baffled.
djmom

Post by djmom »

ewwwww, it looks stupid and creepy.
"Sponges grow in the ocean...I wonder how much deeper it would be if that didn't happen."
SOonthebeach

Post by SOonthebeach »

I'm so glad ya'll think so too! I was looking at it last night and trying to figure out how in the heck they got that perspective?!?! Definitely a weird hatch job. :roll:
iowaguy

Post by iowaguy »

Hmmm...I've looked at it again, and it looks pretty good to me. Wish I were there now.
---Jim
GraysonDave

Post by GraysonDave »

They ran a poll on their facebook page asking for help in choosing from two different covers for this issue. Here is the other choice:

I didn't tally up the votes, but scanning through them it looks like the one they chose had fewer votes. Fairly well divided though.
liamsaunt

Post by liamsaunt »

It's harder to tell how odd the photo looks in the photos posted here. Holding the magazine, the perspective really does look skewed. For example, that little smudge on the sand in front of the bushes is three people on a beach towel. Maybe it is a camera perspective thing.

Pipinale, there is a story on St. Thomas in the back of the magazine, and it mentions STJ as a good day trip. I assumed that was the connection to the cover.
It's like looking in your soup and finding a whole different alphabet.
jmhouse

Post by jmhouse »

It definitely looks like they photoshopped the trees in there. They probably grabbed them from a photo from the same shoot.
Matt
TropicAtHeart

Post by TropicAtHeart »

It's a photoshop job for sure. My wife does this kind of work all the time for her profession. She moves around things all the time to get the look she's wanting for whatever project she's working on.
SOonthebeach

Post by SOonthebeach »

Makes me feel better as an amateur photographer when I can't get the same shots that I see in the magazines- I know there's a lot of photoshop action- now I just need to learn it!! :wink:
LMG

Post by LMG »

That is a trip. I've had days with a lot of rum on St. John and never have I seen palm trees like that. :)
California Girl

Post by California Girl »

Here's a picture Rick took from nearly the same angle, only he would have been standing in front of those giant palms.

And here's a picture looking back at the photographer's location.... I don't see no stinkin' giant palm trees! :lol:

cptnkirk

Post by cptnkirk »

I looked at it and thought it was Cinnamon at first with those palms, but the island didn't match. I think they altered the pic in some way or another. The one thing for sure CT&L has sure used St John for alot of cover shots the last year or so. I'm emailin them to cut the crap out, we don't need no more advertising how beautiful our little paridise is :lol: