Lots of Questions?

Travel discussion for St. John
northerngal

Lots of Questions?

Post by northerngal »

Should we bothering checking luggage? If not, how do you get a cooler, your bags and equipment all there?
Can you still bring rum back cheaply?
Should we rent a car in STT or STJ?
WE haven't been there is 5 years...what changes should we be prepared for? What should we make sure we do besides rent a vehicle and a villa? Lots of things going through my head as this is all I can think about!!!
Xislandgirl

Post by Xislandgirl »

We carry on luggage- Snorkel and mask and some clothes. Small backpack cooler and a tote bag. We rent fins on island. We send down a box with toiletries.

Rum- yes, but I recommend buying inside security so you can carry it on, you can use your empty cooler to pack it.

We rent on STJ. We like to have dedicated parking and know that if anything happens, we have an on-island company to handle it.

Book a trip with Capt John on Palm Tree Charters if it works into your budget. Well worth it for the best day of our trip

Keep asking questions! We live for this stuff! You will get a ton of different answers, just read it all and pick what works for you.
AnyTing

Post by AnyTing »

Other than the rum question, I think you just managed to ask the 3 questions that no VIOLers can agree on!

I am a carry on only, non-cooler person, who rents her car on STT. There I said it! :lol:
toes in the sand

Post by toes in the sand »

1a)only if you have to
1b) sounds like you need to check luggage
2) yes
3)StJ
4) more people, many many more villas
5) a)relax b)have fun c)no worries
"got a drink in my hand and my toes in the sand"
augie

Post by augie »

As of this last trip I am now a carry on only person. We shipped some toiletries/sundries to Connections in a flat rate USPS Priority Mail box.

Between the two of us we carry on one bag with our snorkel gear, including our fins, one Polar Bear cooler, one bag of clothes, and a backpack with computers, cameras, and other electronics.

We rent our car on STT and stock up on rum, bottled water, and some food items at Cost-U-Less on the way to Red Hook.

Some restaurants will have come and gone, and you will see some newly paved roads.
Come see us!
jayseadee

Post by jayseadee »

And I'm a checked baggage, no cooler, always rent on STJ.

Agree with the rum question - get it at the airport and you can carry on (even if you are already carrying on)

As for other plans, if there is something that you really want to do, restaurant you want to eat at - book it ahead of time so that you aren't disappointed if it is unavailable when you get there. We usually book a sailing day trip ahead of time - typically Captain Phil and Wayward Sailor.

Have fun.
janet
dctac

Post by dctac »

My wife couldn't survive without checking a bag.(She could but she's way more happy with stuff!)
1 bag for wife
1bag for fins,masks,nut's, snacks etc and a soft cooler full of Prime rib,burgers,shrimp & cheese. Cooler is used for beach cocktails when there.It usually weighs in at 49Lb on the way down... alot lighter on way home but we put more clothing from carry on for return. We really only carry on some clothes,cameras and electronics in case luggage lost.
We rented on ST John once last year 1st time and it was nice parking in lot in cruz bay but I tend to lean towards Jeep Stt..I like to spend last day on stt, not ferrys and taxi's
PJV356

Car Rental

Post by PJV356 »

I would rent on St. John after our experience in May. Our group of 8 went snorkeling at Waterlemon Cay and when we got back one of the vehicles would not start. We also had no cell phone reception in that area. Luckily the National Park Ranger happened to be passing by and attempted to jump start the vehicle with no luck. Ranger then offered to take part of our group back to the villa where we were able to call the rental car company whom we met back at Waterlemon and exchanged the keys for a different vehicle.

Don't want to think what would have happened had we rented on St. Thomas as I was inclined to do.

Enjoy your vacation