Can you recommend a great day trip

Travel discussion for St. John
Maggy

Can you recommend a great day trip

Post by Maggy »

Coming to STJ for the first time in April (counting down now...).

Can you recommend a great day trip on the sea? It doesn't matter if it's motor or sail. No need for BVI visits on this trip, as we have been there before and are going to BVI after our week in STJ. So a trip on USVI waters, full of snorkeling and cruising around the beautiful coast and small islands. Preferable not too crowded but still not a private charter (since it's just the two of us and it will be too expensive).

Any ideas are very much appreciated.
augie

Post by augie »

Maggy,

I know there are a multitude of operators offering the kind of trip you're looking for.

The only one that I have personal experience with so far is Captain Pat, of Ike Witt Charters. That's me on his boat in my avatar!

I believe most of his trips originate out of Red Hook on STT however, but you can email him to find out ( info@ikewitt.com ).

He takes a max of six people on his boat.

His web site is http://www.ikewitt.com/

Good luck - and have fun!
Come see us!
Maggy

Post by Maggy »

Thanks Steve, it looks really nice.

We will stay in Coral bay, so Red Hook might be a little bit too far to start off from.

I'll appreciate first hand recommendations very much, since when you just browse around they all look good and it's very hard to know which to pick.

Anyone else that have a recommendation? Is there someone that will depart from Coral Bay? Otherwise Cruz bay will be fine.
liamsaunt

Post by liamsaunt »

The Breath is a Coral Bay-based boat. Here is a link to their website with contact information:

http://sailbreath.com/
It's like looking in your soup and finding a whole different alphabet.
Pia

Post by Pia »

Here is a link to "White Wing" out of Coral Bay - I hear nothing but great things about them - in fact wanted to try them myself :)

Pia

http://stjohnlinks.com/Charters/White_Wing/index.htm
waterguy

Post by waterguy »

Hi you could go out with Rusty I think he only charges for the number of people that are on the boat and I think it was 65 a person. He has a home built trimaran that just flys and I know he will do 1/2 days or full. He.s boat is moared by the westin but you can book it from the guy under the steps at mongoose junction
Maggy

Post by Maggy »

Thank you so much Liamsunt, Pia and Water guy.

These trips looks very good and will probably suit us very well. I guess it will just come down to availibility which will be best. Very convenient to start from Coral Bay.

Do you think we need to book in advance? My dilemma is that I have booked a diving course, and I have not been given the final dates for that yet.

I remember reading a long story about St John and Peter Muilenberg (owner of the Breath) in the Magazine Islands. It was that story that made me decide that we should visit STJ. I just love the Magazine Islands!

Thanks again!
sailorgirl

Post by sailorgirl »

I agree with waterguy. Rusty operates a trimaran called Trisel III. If you google it you will come up with a phone number. My husband and I booked a 1/2 day sail with him on our honeymoon really on the spur of the moment. We were the only one's aboard. The boat is really fast. We did a little snorkeling, but when he realized we were sailors we went on a great sail. I have never moved that fast on the water before. it was thrilling and really a smooth ride. The triamaran doesn't have to heel that much to really fly. One caveat... and this is not a criticism, his snack and beverage offerings were not plush by any means... If I were doing a day trip I would pack a lunch. H provided beer and soft drinks and water, but the snacks were Ritz crackers with some cheese.