CA ferry cancelled

Travel discussion for St. John
Pia

CA ferry cancelled

Post by Pia »

FYI the CA ferry has been cancelled until further notice.

Pia
Realtor - St John Properties
bnsilly

Post by bnsilly »

Wow...that stinks..it is so convenient from the airport~
CariBert

Post by CariBert »

Any indication this is just for the off season?

-Bert
The liver is evil, it must be punished!

Gromit

Post by Gromit »

That is disappointing. :?

Makes me wonder how much the taxi drivers have something to say about this. Certainly they will benefit directly from this change - forcing people to pay more for taxi service to RH vs CA.

From the consumer standpoint (for those of us traveling to STJ) the net result is the same out of pocket costs, albeit a less desirable way to travel IMHO. :cry:

I am one of those people who prefers a longer ferry ride vs a longer taxi ride. Although the new RH terminal is far better than standing in the baking sun at the CA dock to be sure! :lol:

I know the ferry services have been struggling and have followed the issues associated with the VI government not passing along the federal transportation funding and subsidies along to the ferry companies and instead using those funds in other ways. Then of course is the issue of maintenance of the vessels.

The VI government needs to get serious about modernizing the ferry services and ensuring adequate funding. Certainly huge strides have been made (red hook terminal, Enighed Pond etc.) but much more needs to be done.

To me they should invest $$ into a ferry terminal at CA like they have at Red Hook. Certainly that might contribute to congestion downtown, but it's something that downtown businesses should lobby for and support.

It seems like the CA ferry service is forever being suspended and reinstated, many times with the season. Hopefully, they will reinstate sooner rather than later.

Just my humble opinion of course. Off my soapbox now. :wink:
*Another fine scatterbrained production
kimberlysea

Post by kimberlysea »

Just curious, how about the ferries to BVI? Is the terminal closed or are they just stopping ferry service to STJ? The Pump House can't be happy about this
Tess' Dad

Post by Tess' Dad »

Why don't they utilize Crown Bay Marina? An even shorter taxi ride and longer ferry, two thumbs up.
stjohnjulie

Post by stjohnjulie »

An article on the St. John Source says they will run on Friday and Saturday. We'll see!!!! They aren't allowed to cancel runs without asking the PCS and getting permission. They are also supposed to 'notify the public'. See this happen a lot though. The only way they are allowed to cancel without permission is if they don't have a boat. Well, how hard is it to move a boat and say it's being worked on? Also didn't realize that the two companies rotate every two weeks with the downtown run. I'm sure neither of them like doing it in off season because they don't have many riders so it couldn't be profitable. Still, they are a form of public transportation, and I don't think they should be allowed to modify their schedules without going through the proper channels.
JT

Post by JT »

This past May was the first time that we had ever used the red Hook ferry and I gotta say that I didn't like it. The CA ferry was something that I always looked forward to. Get off the plane, get a 5-10 minute taxi ride, have a drink in CA, get on the ferry for a beautiful ride to STJ. That's when the vacation really started. Red Hook means a long time cooped up in a van,with a bunch of other folks,in stop and go traffic. And Gromit is correct. The taxi drivers at the airport don't like it when you want to go to the downtown ferry.
When you find yourself in a hole.... quit digging.
RonUSVI

Post by RonUSVI »

They were running today!
RL 8)
northerngal

Post by northerngal »

YEA!!!!!!! It's the best way to start the trip!
Pia

Post by Pia »

Les took the 11:15am on Sunday :)

Pia
Realtor - St John Properties